Charlie Self

Default The Ultimate Earmuffs

Larry Jaques writes:

"igor" asked
And how much would you be willing to spend for this?

$39.99 for the Harbor Freight edition. 8^)

The $2 sets already come with most of those specs filled,
but they don't have the phone connection set.

But I'm a firm believer in the "If I'm in the shop, I
don't want to talk on the phone." style. Though I did
install a phone there ($5 phone with $5 rebate), I very
seldom answer it unless I've finished the task at hand.
Y'know: waiting for glue to dry or something like that.
I see no reason for a cell phone, either. Shop time is
"away" time. I find that I sometimes leave the muffs on
even though there are no tools running for the peace and
quiet. No neighbor dogs barking, no crows cawing, no cows
mooing, no Harleys brappin', no phones ringing, etc.

I don't mind talking on the phone in the shop, but, like you, I don't jump for
it immediately when it rings--if I even hear it. Loss of hearing, tinnitus and
loud tools (muffled, now, by ear plugs or muffs) all contribute. At times, too,
it's downright dangerous to drop things and grab the phone.

I do it the simple way. Take a cordless handset out to the shop. Some day, I
may actually get a dual handset model, because I have been known to get a
memory blip and leave the handset out in the shop overnight, which does the
battery no good at all and leaves me without a shop phone when I need to call
out.

Calls out are the province of the shop phone, IMO. They are safety items should
your wood rack collapse and knock you to the floor or another such incident
occur.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker