Posted to rec.woodworking
k k is offline

Default 3/4 inch through slot on router trouble??

Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of wood. The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot. When I tried to cut the 3/4" slot it grabbed the wood and chipped off the front edge. I understand grain and why it happened (climb cutting). Does anyone have advice on how to accomplish this task. The slot is to long for the table saw. I can use a mortise and tenon machine but was hoping to use the router table with one pass. I am going to use a 1/4" diameter router bit with light cuts to finish unless there are any suggestions. Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

k wrote:
Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of wood. The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot. When I tried to cut the 3/4" slot it grabbed the wood and chipped off the front edge. I understand grain and why it happened (climb cutting). Does anyone have advice on how to accomplish this task.

You seem more savvy than me. But, FWIW, I would consider
shallower cuts and the use of a fine rasp (near the front edge,
since that is where you had issues).

Bill

The slot is to long for the table saw. I can use a mortise
and tenon machine but was hoping to use the router table with one
pass. I am going to use a 1/4" diameter router bit with light
cuts to finish unless there are any suggestions. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
k wrote:
Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of
wood.Â* The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot.Â* When I tried to cut the 3/4"
slot it grabbed the wood and chipped off the front edge.Â* I
understand grain and why it happened (climb cutting).Â* Does
anyone have advice on how to accomplish this task.

You seem more savvy than me. But, FWIW, I would consider
shallower cuts and the use of a fine rasp (near the front edge,
since that is where you had issues).

Bill

Another thought. You didn't say what you were cutting. But if it
is typical cheap plywood (i.e. not "Baltic Birch"), the "wood"
may be to blame.

Â*The slot is to long for the table saw.Â*Â* I can use a mortise
and tenon machine but was hoping to use the router table with one
pass.Â* I am going to use a 1/4" diameter router bit with light
cuts to finish unless there are any suggestions.Â* Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/23/2019 11:10 AM, k wrote:
Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of wood. The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot. When I tried to cut the 3/4" slot it grabbed the wood and chipped off the front edge. I understand grain and why it happened (climb cutting). Does anyone have advice on how to accomplish this task. The slot is to long for the table saw. I can use a mortise and tenon machine but was hoping to use the router table with one pass. I am going to use a 1/4" diameter router bit with light cuts to finish unless there are any suggestions. Thanks

Can you use a dremell with an spiral cutting bit? OR of you have it a
plunge router with a spiral bit?

Once you have the slot cut you could use a 1/4 straight cut bit on your
router to clean it up.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 08:10:54 -0800 (PST), k
wrote:

Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of wood. The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot. When I tried to cut the 3/4" slot it grabbed the wood and chipped off the front edge. I understand grain and why it happened (climb cutting). Does anyone have advice on how to accomplish this task. The slot is to long for the table saw. I can use a mortise and tenon machine but was hoping to use the router table with one pass. I am going to use a 1/4" diameter router bit with light cuts to finish unless there are any suggestions. Thanks

Featherboards and stops. Don't let the piece go anywhere except where
you want it to go and use enough friction that it goes at your speed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:10:57 AM UTC-8, k wrote:
Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of wood. The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot.

If you have a small-diameter circular saw blade, two plunge cuts can define the
sides of the slot; then a short bit of router work can trim the ends.

Turning the whole slot into sawdust seems a waste of time and energy.
Starting with a half-inch slot is definitely wasting energy.