Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3/4 inch through slot on router trouble??

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 08:10:54 -0800 (PST), k
wrote:

Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of wood. The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot. When I tried to cut the 3/4" slot it grabbed the wood and chipped off the front edge. I understand grain and why it happened (climb cutting). Does anyone have advice on how to accomplish this task. The slot is to long for the table saw. I can use a mortise and tenon machine but was hoping to use the router table with one pass. I am going to use a 1/4" diameter router bit with light cuts to finish unless there are any suggestions. Thanks

Featherboards and stops. Don't let the piece go anywhere except where
you want it to go and use enough friction that it goes at your speed.