Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to cut a 1/4" slot through a 1-1/4" rod?, Followup with linkto dropbox

Wes wrote:
andy wrote:

All in all it worked out well, I believe it is as strong as it can be,
and I am pleased with the result.
Photos and descriptions are in the dropbox as Rudder_XX.jpg and
Rudder.txt at :http://metalworking.com/dirsort.php

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder.txt
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder_01.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder_02.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder_03.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder_04.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder_05.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder_06.JPG
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Rudder_07.JPG

Nice project

Wes

Really nice work, Andy.

Only question might be the abrupt ends of the shafts.
Might cause a high stress concentration where the cross sections suddenly
changes. Or might not!?!

But no question about the workmanship!

Wish we had pics of the "before" conditions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wish we had pics of the "before" conditions.

I understood it to be new fabrication...?
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 23, 8:42*pm, cavelamb wrote:
Wes wrote:
andy wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the compliments.
The shaft ends were somewhat faired in at the ends which will see the
propwash (see Pic #6). I looked at a lot of rudders on a lot of boats
before deciding on what the details of mine should look like, and to
my surprise, many of them just have the squared off shaft welded to
the plate.

Wish we had pics of the "before" conditions

These are the before conditions as this is a new boat.

Thanks for the interest, and looking at the photos.
Andy