Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default 3/4 inch through slot on router trouble??

On 1/23/2019 11:10 AM, k wrote:
Hi I need to cut a 3/4" wide slot 5" long through my piece of wood. The wood I am cutting is 8"x 8"s x 3/4".
I have roughed out a 1/2" slot. When I tried to cut the 3/4" slot it grabbed the wood and chipped off the front edge. I understand grain and why it happened (climb cutting). Does anyone have advice on how to accomplish this task. The slot is to long for the table saw. I can use a mortise and tenon machine but was hoping to use the router table with one pass. I am going to use a 1/4" diameter router bit with light cuts to finish unless there are any suggestions. Thanks

Can you use a dremell with an spiral cutting bit? OR of you have it a
plunge router with a spiral bit?

Once you have the slot cut you could use a 1/4 straight cut bit on your
router to clean it up.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre