Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Custom Baby Gate In the Works

I'm building another custom baby gate to match another clients
staircase, again. They are actually good friends of mine.
This one will be different as it will not be hinge mounted. It will be
similar to the ones that pressure fit between two walls, accept I have
never met one of those that actually works. :-)
This one will have bolt latches that will recess into holes drilled in
the walls on each side. One side is 1/2" hardwood painted trim and the
other side is brick.
When the babies are all grown the holes can be filled with putty or
mortar.

Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7
I'll add pictures of the finished product mounted in place, later.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 4:28:55 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
I'm building another custom baby gate to match another clients
staircase, again. They are actually good friends of mine.
This one will be different as it will not be hinge mounted. It will be
similar to the ones that pressure fit between two walls, accept I have
never met one of those that actually works. :-)
This one will have bolt latches that will recess into holes drilled in
the walls on each side. One side is 1/2" hardwood painted trim and the
other side is brick.
When the babies are all grown the holes can be filled with putty or
mortar.

Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7
I'll add pictures of the finished product mounted in place, later.

Nice workmanship. I assume you are open to comments. I hope so. ;-)

Have you considered using metal rods instead of dowels? Dowels crack
and become sharp objects.

Have you considered the usability of the 4-point attachment system? One
major advantage of a hinged gate with a latch of some sort is that they
can be operated with one hand. That 4-point system looks like it could
be a real pain when the user has a load of laundry or perhaps a temper-
tantruming 3 YO in their arms.

If it can't be opened and closed with 1 hand a dangerous situation could
occur if the user says to themselves "It won't take me long to run this
basket downstairs." Distractions occur, gates are forgotten and children
are injured.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/18 4:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 4:28:55 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
I'm building another custom baby gate to match another clients
staircase, again. They are actually good friends of mine. This one
will be different as it will not be hinge mounted. It will be
similar to the ones that pressure fit between two walls, accept I
have never met one of those that actually works. :-) This one will
have bolt latches that will recess into holes drilled in the walls
on each side. One side is 1/2" hardwood painted trim and the other
side is brick. When the babies are all grown the holes can be
filled with putty or mortar.

Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7 I'll add pictures of
the finished product mounted in place, later.

Nice workmanship. I assume you are open to comments. I hope so. ;-)

Thanks.
You'd be stupid to post in *here* if you weren't open to comments. :-)

Have you considered using metal rods instead of dowels? Dowels crack
and become sharp objects.

Yes, I considered hollow aluminum but couldn't find the right size. I
also considered solid aluminum but when it bends it can get malformed.
The existing staircase has 1/2" hardwood dowels for balusters. These
are oak. They are pretty strong. You can't build to stop every scenario.

Have you considered the usability of the 4-point attachment system?
One major advantage of a hinged gate with a latch of some sort is
that they can be operated with one hand.

I will post a pic of the installation in which you will see that a
hinged gate wouldn't work. Besides, the clients didn't want a hinged
installation.

That 4-point system looks like it could be a real pain when the user
has a load of laundry or perhaps a temper- tantruming 3 YO in their
arms.

The client chose those option. It was the least intrusive.
The user shouldn't be carrying laundry and a 3YO, IMO. :-)

If it can't be opened and closed with 1 hand a dangerous situation
could occur if the user says to themselves "It won't take me long to
run this basket downstairs." Distractions occur, gates are forgotten
and children are injured.

Distractions and poor decisions occur all the time, even with one-handed
systems.
You can dummy-proof the world and the world will build a better dummy.
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2018 5:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/27/18 4:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Have you considered the usability of the 4-point attachment system?
One major advantage of a hinged gate with a latch of some sort is
that they can be operated with one hand.

I will post a pic of the installation in which you will see that a
hinged gate wouldn't work.Â* Besides, the clients didn't want a hinged
installation.

That 4-point system looks like it could be a real pain when the user
has a load of laundry or perhaps a temper- tantruming 3 YO in their
arms.

The client chose those option.Â* It was the least intrusive.
The user shouldn't be carrying laundry and a 3YO, IMO.Â*Â* :-)

Sometimes the client doesn't know what should choose for an option,
too...

I agree that I think they will discover this is a
pit(proverbial)a(ppendage) in application unless this is a very
low-traffic stairwell and the barricade is essentially a permanent
fixture. If it's of the 20X/day variety, I predict it will be unused
shortly after installation or modified to retrofit a hinge or other
catchment than trying to line up and insert four independent plungers...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 12:06 AM, Mikhail wrote:
DerbyDad03 skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Comrade Radcliffe is no very concern with the safety as he
sucsessfull proven on the las time he make gate for the baby.
http://i.cubeupload.com/phMKoM.jpg
Such the violations to safety into my citys result with 3
to 5 year labour in Siberian gulag.

Now that took some effort! LMAO!
That's some creative trolling, right there. :-D

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:10 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/27/2018 5:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

fixture.Â* If it's of the 20X/day variety, I predict it will be unused
shortly after installation or modified to retrofit a hinge or other
catchment than trying to line up and insert four independent plungers...

We'll see. As I said, they can't have a hinge. It's this type or
nothing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

We'll see.Â* As I said, they can't have a hinge.Â* It's this type or nothing.

It's certainly clear as to the "why" of "can't" have a hinge other than
not wanting one; certainly nothing apparent in the one photo to prevent it.

But as for "nothing", there's "always" some other alternative; a
backstop with spring latch on the other side would at least make it
where can just set one side in place and push the other rather than a
"four-handed find the hole" exercise standing on one's head at top of a
stairwell...or even above it looking down if it's a the base of the
stairs but you're on the up side...

But, as you say, they're the client and sometimes it can only be "live
and learn"...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

We'll see. As I said, they can't have a hinge. It's this type or
nothing.

It's certainly clear as to the "why" of "can't" have a hinge other
than not wanting one; certainly nothing apparent in the one photo to
prevent it.

I didn't even post a pic of where it will be installed, so I don't know
how you can tell that. :-) Just trust me, a hinged gate can't work.

But as for "nothing", there's "always" some other alternative; a
backstop with spring latch on the other side would at least make it
where can just set one side in place and push the other rather than a
"four-handed find the hole" exercise standing on one's head at top
of a stairwell...or even above it looking down if it's a the base of
the stairs but you're on the up side...

We had a long brainstorming session and I had plenty of ideas like that.
They wanted nothing installed left protruding from the wall when the
gate wasn't there. I offered a single pull that would release all four
latches at the same time, but something that easy could be operated by
the child. I offered a drop down gate that would self-latch, but that
means hardware attached to the wall.

The gate will be at the bottom of the stairs. It will sit on a step and
against the step above it, so registering the latch bolt holes will be
as simple as placing the gate against the step.

It's just to keep the child from going up the stairs. It will always be
placed and removed from someone in front of the stairs, not on them.

But, as you say, they're the client and sometimes it can only be
"live and learn"...

You never know. They may want to add a different system in the future.
For now, they get what they wanted and it will function great and serve
the purpose, and look great. FWIW, I foresee them only using the top
latches, since the bottom of the gate sits against a step. Even if the
child were to pull the bottom away from the step, there is a post in
front of it that will bock it from coming out more than about the depth
of the step in sits on.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 10:12:08 AM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Where did that post come from? I use GG and I do not see the post from
Mikhail, only your response.

Since GG doesn't provide a plonking method, Mikhail was not blacklisted
by me. I wonder why it is not appearing in the thread.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 11:22:08 AM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

I'm not pushing back on the design any longer 'cuz it is what it is, but...

The word "always" in this situation seems a little out of place, as in
"never say never". I can't imagine that someone will *never* want to go
upstairs and close the gate behind them.

Keep us updated. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2018 3:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
I'm building another custom baby gate to match another clients
staircase, again.Â* They are actually good friends of mine.
This one will be different as it will not be hinge mounted.Â* It will be
similar to the ones that pressure fit between two walls, accept I have
never met one of those that actually works.Â* :-)
This one will have bolt latches that will recess into holes drilled in
the walls on each side.Â* One side is 1/2" hardwood painted trim and the
other side is brick.
When the babies are all grown the holes can be filled with putty or mortar.

Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7
I'll add pictures of the finished product mounted in place, later.

Looks great! Is that an AC in your shop????
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

I would simply step over it. It's only 35" high.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 1:09 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/27/2018 3:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
I'm building another custom baby gate to match another clients
staircase, again.Â* They are actually good friends of mine.
This one will be different as it will not be hinge mounted.Â* It will
be similar to the ones that pressure fit between two walls, accept I
have never met one of those that actually works.Â* :-)
This one will have bolt latches that will recess into holes drilled in
the walls on each side.Â* One side is 1/2" hardwood painted trim and
the other side is brick.
When the babies are all grown the holes can be filled with putty or
mortar.

Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7
I'll add pictures of the finished product mounted in place, later.

Looks great!Â* Is that an AC in your shop????

Yes! T'was a glorious day, the day I installed that little guy!
The only thing I would change would be to get a heat/air unit.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

Ask Grandma how high 35" is. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 16:17:20 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/28/18 1:09 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/27/2018 3:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Samsung split system, just sayin.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/28/18 1:09 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/27/2018 3:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Straight A/C units run far longer than heat pumps. Some A/C's have
electric strip heating in them and they are ok.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

Hmm, my inseam is 30". Not so sure about just "stepping over it". ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/28/18 1:09 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/27/2018 3:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Bob Davis, a long time observer, but does not say too much on her, has
the Samsung AC/heater in his shop. He reeeeeeeeely likes it.

I threw out the bait and he bit. LOL. Good guy! Yes he is a Festool
and SawStop convert. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/28/18 1:09 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/27/2018 3:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

There is nothing quite as unique as sweat stains on your work. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

I once dated a girl that was 4'10". 35" was like boob high... '~O
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

There's a step on the other side, you'll be fine.
They need a babysitter-- you volunteering? :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

A step over the gate and I might have the falsetto for it.

I'm not big on stepping over things on stairs, either. ...even at the
bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/18 9:39 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:21:16 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

When I was just a young-un, I could jump pretty high... I mean, really
high.
I used to jump over fences and bushes and even sports cars.
When I was in school, we did the President's Physical Fitness Awards and
I just ruled those things. :-)
We also had these tests in gym class to measure our vertical leap and
long jump and other things. I was off the charts and all the coaches
were trying to recruit me. I was always the fastest kid on the field,
but wasn't big. I was in band, so the jocks gave me a hard time, even
though the coaches wanted me on their teams.

Weird times when you're a kid. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:57:07 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/28/18 9:39 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:21:16 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

[...]

When you're a kid, you don't break so easily.
When you're a kid, you heal a lot faster when you do break.
When you're not a kid, you learn your limitations. Pain is the great
teacher. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7 I'll add pictures of the
finished product mounted in place, later.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7
I added pics of the installed gate.
Bottom line, she is extremely pleased with how it turned out-- looks and
function.

An added bonus.
There was concern by some of you about the ease of using the gate, since
it's not hinged and has four anchor points. I kept that in mind when I
was installing and discovered an imperfect, but more than adequate
solution.

As I suspected, the bottom latches don't even need to be used to keep
the gate secure. It is possible to pull the bottom out and a curious
child might do that. So at least one should probably stay latched.
With that in mind....

I discovered there is enough room under the handrail on the right for
the left side of the gate to be pulled out, away from the steps,
allowing enough room for a passerby.

So in the right side anchor holes, I drilled another another hole in
each, though the entry of the existing ones, but at an angle that allows
the anchor bolt to pivot in the wall when the left side of the gate is
pulled out away from the step, acting like a hinge.

Now for the cool part. This allows for one-handed operation, because
you can just disengage the top-left latch, pull the gate out, walk
through, pull it shut, and reengage the latch.
Another bonus, using the above method, the gate can also be totally
removed and/or installed without disengaging the right-side latches.

The client got what they wanted, or more aptly, didn't want-- which is
any hardware attached to the walls. And they get a pseudo-hinged gate
they can pass through without operating all four latches.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 3:10:03 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

https://i.imgur.com/QdZZKDm.gif

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/4/2018 2:09 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7 I'll add pictures of the
finished product mounted in place, later.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7
I added pics of the installed gate.
Bottom line, she is extremely pleased with how it turned out-- looks and
function.

An added bonus.
There was concern by some of you about the ease of using the gate, since
it's not hinged and has four anchor points.Â* I kept that in mind when I
was installing and discovered an imperfect, but more than adequate
solution.

As I suspected, the bottom latches don't even need to be used to keep
the gate secure.Â* It is possible to pull the bottom out and a curious
child might do that.Â* So at least one should probably stay latched.
With that in mind....

I discovered there is enough room under the handrail on the right for
the left side of the gate to be pulled out, away from the steps,
allowing enough room for a passerby.

So in the right side anchor holes, I drilled another another hole in
each, though the entry of the existing ones, but at an angle that allows
the anchor bolt to pivot in the wall when the left side of the gate is
pulled out away from the step, acting like a hinge.

Now for the cool part.Â* This allows for one-handed operation, because
you can just disengage the top-left latch, pull the gate out, walk
through, pull it shut, and reengage the latch.
Another bonus, using the above method, the gate can also be totally
removed and/or installed without disengaging the right-side latches.

The client got what they wanted, or more aptly, didn't want-- which is
any hardware attached to the walls.Â* And they get a pseudo-hinged gate
they can pass through without operating all four latches.

Looks like a $600 job if I ever saw one. Good Job!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 May 2018 14:09:59 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

[...]

Looks really Great!

I have seen my share of what I would call cheap flimsy gates with
grandchildren and their friends home. Nothing that compared to this,
in any way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7 I added pics of the
[...]

Thank you.

I have seen my share of what I would call cheap flimsy gates with
grandchildren and their friends home. Nothing that compared to this,
in any way.

That is so true. The ones that are out there are flimsy, difficult to
work, many are difficult to install and rarely stay there very long.
I've done my share of modifications to those in my handyman work.
People are figuring out that you pay a lot of money for something that
may or may not work without having to spend more money to modify it to
your specific installation.

There are custom, wood ones available out there, but nothing like I'm
doing where they match your existing decor. There's a decent market
around here with well-to-do new moms who are equal parts helicopter
parent and interior design snobs. :-)

If I can eventually incorporate the Domino when making them, I might be
able to find a price point that is too hard to resist for the potential
clients.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)