Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Custom Baby Gate In the Works

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 16:16:06 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 4/28/18 11:19 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 11:22:08 AM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/28/18 9:47 AM, dpb wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

We'll see. As I said, they can't have a hinge. It's this type or
nothing.

It's certainly clear as to the "why" of "can't" have a hinge other
than not wanting one; certainly nothing apparent in the one photo to
prevent it.

I didn't even post a pic of where it will be installed, so I don't know
how you can tell that. :-) Just trust me, a hinged gate can't work.

But as for "nothing", there's "always" some other alternative; a
backstop with spring latch on the other side would at least make it
where can just set one side in place and push the other rather than a
"four-handed find the hole" exercise standing on one's head at top
of a stairwell...or even above it looking down if it's a the base of
the stairs but you're on the up side...

We had a long brainstorming session and I had plenty of ideas like that.
They wanted nothing installed left protruding from the wall when the
gate wasn't there. I offered a single pull that would release all four
latches at the same time, but something that easy could be operated by
the child. I offered a drop down gate that would self-latch, but that
means hardware attached to the wall.

The gate will be at the bottom of the stairs. It will sit on a step and
against the step above it, so registering the latch bolt holes will be
as simple as placing the gate against the step.

It's just to keep the child from going up the stairs. It will always be
placed and removed from someone in front of the stairs, not on them.

I'm not pushing back on the design any longer 'cuz it is what it is, but...

The word "always" in this situation seems a little out of place, as in
"never say never". I can't imagine that someone will *never* want to go
upstairs and close the gate behind them.

Keep us updated. ;-)

I would simply step over it. It's only 35" high.

Hmm, my inseam is 30". Not so sure about just "stepping over it". ;-)