Posted to rec.crafts.marketplace,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.carving

Default Custom Walking Stick for a Custom Head.

Hi there!

A friend recently gave me something that looks like a lump of glass but
could be possibly used as a head to a walking stick or walking cane.
Now, I'm a bit at a lost as to what to do next and was wondering if
anybody could offer suggestions for a web site, store, or whatever that
would attach my lump to the top of a walking stick.

Thanks for the help!
Eddy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now, I'm a bit at a lost as to what to do next and was wondering if
anybody could offer suggestions for a web site, store, or whatever that
would attach my lump to the top of a walking stick.

I would start with a diamond drill bit to drill your glass lump (in a
drill press if possible), a bolt sunk into the stick (possibly a hanger
bolt), and some epoxy to hold the glass to the bolt.
All these things should be available at your local home center, or do a
google search.
Stay safe,
Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.marketplace,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.carving

[I don't think a website is going to work, Eddy. This sounds like a job for
metal...]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there!

A friend recently gave me something that looks like a lump of glass but
could be possibly used as a head to a walking stick or walking cane.
Now, I'm a bit at a lost as to what to do next and was wondering if
anybody could offer suggestions for a web site, store, or whatever that
would attach my lump to the top of a walking stick.

Thanks for the help!
Eddy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Andy!

Now forgive my ignorance, but I'm not too competent with tools. If i
was going to try and hire somebody to do this form me what kind of
trade person or company sould I search for?

Andy wrote:
Now, I'm a bit at a lost as to what to do next and was wondering if
anybody could offer suggestions for a web site, store, or whatever that
would attach my lump to the top of a walking stick.

I would start with a diamond drill bit to drill your glass lump (in a
drill press if possible), a bolt sunk into the stick (possibly a hanger
bolt), and some epoxy to hold the glass to the bolt.
All these things should be available at your local home center, or do a
google search.
Stay safe,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now forgive my ignorance, but I'm not too competent with tools. If i
was going to try and hire somebody to do this form me what kind of
trade person or company sould I search for?

(Sorry if this posts twice - my connection is being tempermental...)
Do you know anyone who does general handywork, home repair, auto
maintenance, or just likes tools? Anyone with a drill press, a vise or
clamp of some sort, and some creativity should be all set.
I would accept a "commission" for something like this, and I know a
few friends who would also. (No guarantees on the perfect outcome, so
if it were an especially sentimental lump of glass, I'd pass)
I'd expect $10-15 to cover the cost of the diamond drill bit (only
since I don't already have one), $5-10 for epoxy if I didn't already
have some, plus something for my time (maybe an hour or so?). This
assumes you already have the walking stick to start with.
All in all, if you gave me $50 and a stick, I'd happily attempt to put
a lump of glass on it (and give you most of your money back if it
didn't work).
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.marketplace,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.carving

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:55:07 -0700, beach9000 wrote:

Hi there!

A friend recently gave me something that looks like a lump of glass but
could be possibly used as a head to a walking stick or walking cane.

I know that this is an ancient thread, but it dawns on me that the material
could be a hunk of resins. I used to work in a place that did production
spray painting and the overspray would build up in the spray tunnel to
great thicknesses of a couple inches or more between major cleanings.

If the lump you friend gave you is not -definitely- glass, consider the
possibility that it is simply a hunk of oversprayed paint ... especially
if it is multicolored / multilayered. TRY filing a corner or drilling it
with a standard drill bit. If it's glass you won't be able to ... but if
it's a lump of resins, it will give way quite readily.

Hope this helps ... you never did post the results, so maybe that lump is
sitting off to the side in the 'someday' pile.

Bill

Walking stick parts justme Woodworking 5 March 25th 05 12:07 PM
Are There No Pointy Stick Makers Left? charlie b Woodworking 16 March 17th 05 04:15 AM
The Pointy Stick Compendium Project charlie b Woodworking 59 March 2nd 05 09:28 PM
Cleaning VCR - need help and a diagram Mike Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 04 03:54 PM
BP Round Ram J Head Adapter? dka Metalworking 1 March 17th 04 04:40 AM