Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Custom Walking Stick for a Custom Head.

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:55:07 -0700, beach9000 wrote:

Hi there!

A friend recently gave me something that looks like a lump of glass but
could be possibly used as a head to a walking stick or walking cane.

I know that this is an ancient thread, but it dawns on me that the material
could be a hunk of resins. I used to work in a place that did production
spray painting and the overspray would build up in the spray tunnel to
great thicknesses of a couple inches or more between major cleanings.

If the lump you friend gave you is not -definitely- glass, consider the
possibility that it is simply a hunk of oversprayed paint ... especially
if it is multicolored / multilayered. TRY filing a corner or drilling it
with a standard drill bit. If it's glass you won't be able to ... but if
it's a lump of resins, it will give way quite readily.

Hope this helps ... you never did post the results, so maybe that lump is
sitting off to the side in the 'someday' pile.

Bill