Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Another Custom Baby Gate In the Works

On 5/5/18 3:41 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 4 May 2018 14:09:59 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

Here's the progress so far...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7 I'll add pictures of
the finished product mounted in place, later.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wUBW8NLPkNUUvbdH7 I added pics of the
installed gate. Bottom line, she is extremely pleased with how it
turned out-- looks and function.

An added bonus. There was concern by some of you about the ease of
using the gate, since it's not hinged and has four anchor points.
I kept that in mind when I was installing and discovered an
imperfect, but more than adequate solution.

As I suspected, the bottom latches don't even need to be used to
keep the gate secure. It is possible to pull the bottom out and a
curious child might do that. So at least one should probably stay
latched. With that in mind....

I discovered there is enough room under the handrail on the right
for the left side of the gate to be pulled out, away from the
steps, allowing enough room for a passerby.

So in the right side anchor holes, I drilled another another hole
in each, though the entry of the existing ones, but at an angle
that allows the anchor bolt to pivot in the wall when the left side
of the gate is pulled out away from the step, acting like a hinge.

Now for the cool part. This allows for one-handed operation,
because you can just disengage the top-left latch, pull the gate
out, walk through, pull it shut, and reengage the latch. Another
bonus, using the above method, the gate can also be totally removed
and/or installed without disengaging the right-side latches.

The client got what they wanted, or more aptly, didn't want-- which
is any hardware attached to the walls. And they get a
pseudo-hinged gate they can pass through without operating all four
latches.

Looks really Great!

Thank you.

I have seen my share of what I would call cheap flimsy gates with
grandchildren and their friends home. Nothing that compared to this,
in any way.

That is so true. The ones that are out there are flimsy, difficult to
work, many are difficult to install and rarely stay there very long.
I've done my share of modifications to those in my handyman work.
People are figuring out that you pay a lot of money for something that
may or may not work without having to spend more money to modify it to
your specific installation.

There are custom, wood ones available out there, but nothing like I'm
doing where they match your existing decor. There's a decent market
around here with well-to-do new moms who are equal parts helicopter
parent and interior design snobs. :-)

If I can eventually incorporate the Domino when making them, I might be
able to find a price point that is too hard to resist for the potential
clients.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)