Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2 Tools I Should've Bought Years Ago.

1. A WorkSharp 3000 was delivered to the house yesterday and I finally
got to set it up and use it. Dang, is this thing dummy-proof and
effective. They did a great job designing it and manufacturing it so
it's affordable. I now have chisels and hand planes I will actually use
instead of curse at. I have wetstones but I'm just not patient enough
to get them out and use them. Having this machine set-up, ready to go
will be my motivation to keep my chisels "scary sharp."
If you're interested in a great price with free shipping, check out
jbtoolsales.com.

While we're at it, someone send me a link explaining how to properly
set-up hand planes. I don't think I'm getting most out of mine.

2. A Ridgid cordless (hoseless?) 18g brad nailer.
I get soooooo many jobs where I just have to nail up a few pieces of
trim and it gets old, fast, carrying the compressor, hose, gun and
tripping over the hose up on a ladder to shoot a dozen finish nails.

I used this on a job, today, on 10ft. ceilings and didn't miss getting
tangled up in an air hose. The only negative is it's pretty heavy for a
nail gun. The DeWalt version is a bit lighter, but since I already have
a bunch of Ridgid batteries, I went with it.
It takes a few minutes to get used to, since you have to depress the
safety tip, wait about a second for the cylinder to charge with air,
then shoot. But you get a rhythm going.
Big plus! No butane gas cartridges, like the old Paslodes.

Anyway, two more tools that I wish I had bought years ago!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 10:11:19 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I love my Work Sharp. I cut my own leather round, spray glued it to a glass wheel, and added a little compound to really put a fine edge on my blades.

Roy Underhill and friend have some things to say about setting up hand planes:
https://video.iptv.org/video/3004802841/

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
1. A WorkSharp 3000 was delivered to the house yesterday and I finally
got to set it up and use it. Dang, is this thing dummy-proof and
effective. They did a great job designing it and manufacturing it so
it's affordable. I now have chisels and hand planes I will actually use
instead of curse at. I have wetstones but I'm just not patient enough
to get them out and use them. Having this machine set-up, ready to go
will be my motivation to keep my chisels "scary sharp."
If you're interested in a great price with free shipping, check out
jbtoolsales.com.

While we're at it, someone send me a link explaining how to properly
set-up hand planes. I don't think I'm getting most out of mine.

Yeah, I tried the fine wasters stones to sharpen my plane irons and chisels
and I still prefer to work with tools rather than sharpen them. I have
that sharpener too, it works great and fast.

If you don't like sharpening knives, the WorkSharp knife sharpeners work
crazy fast, easy, and are mostly fool proof. I have the Ken Onion version
and my son has the standard electric version. Both work really really well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news
1. A WorkSharp 3000 was delivered to the house yesterday and I
finally got to set it up and use it. Dang, is this thing dummy-proof
and effective. They did a great job designing it and manufacturing it
so it's affordable. I now have chisels and hand planes I will
actually use instead of curse at. I have wetstones but I'm just not
patient enough to get them out and use them. Having this machine
set-up, ready to go will be my motivation to keep my chisels "scary
sharp." If you're interested in a great price with free shipping,
check out jbtoolsales.com.

While we're at it, someone send me a link explaining how to properly
set-up hand planes. I don't think I'm getting most out of mine.

https://thechristiantoolcabinet.word...nimal-bench-pl
ane-tuning/

I noticed a big difference after properly bedding the frog.

I found the WS does a fantastic job of flattening chisels and plane
irons, but when it comes to the bevel I like the concave bevel off of my
grinder and just a few passes on a stone. I often use the WS and
grinder together: grind a bit, cool, WS a bit to knock off that wire
edge, and repeat.

One more thought: I know Leonard Lee says not to dip the tool in water
to cool it, but I really don't notice a big difference in edge life when
I do. When it takes a few seconds on the WS to refresh the edge, why
waste time letting the tool cool naturally?

For the really fine sandpaper, look he
http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_discs.htm#6_0_psa

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 16:19:15 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

-MIKE- wrote in news
[...]

I've been considering a sharpening system was wondering about the
"hollow grind" that a wheel (e.g. Tormek) would give. It seemed that
one would either have to go one way (hollow - Tormek) or flat
(WorkSharp, Sorby, stone/diamond) but mixing them wouldn't work well
at all.

One more thought: I know Leonard Lee says not to dip the tool in water
to cool it, but I really don't notice a big difference in edge life when
I do. When it takes a few seconds on the WS to refresh the edge, why
waste time letting the tool cool naturally?

OK, why waste money on good chisel steel?

For the really fine sandpaper, look he
http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_discs.htm#6_0_psa

I clearly have a lot more research to do. ;-) There seems to be a
lot of folklore out there, too. :-(