Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default 2 Tools I Should've Bought Years Ago.

-MIKE- wrote in news
1. A WorkSharp 3000 was delivered to the house yesterday and I
finally got to set it up and use it. Dang, is this thing dummy-proof
and effective. They did a great job designing it and manufacturing it
so it's affordable. I now have chisels and hand planes I will
actually use instead of curse at. I have wetstones but I'm just not
patient enough to get them out and use them. Having this machine
set-up, ready to go will be my motivation to keep my chisels "scary
sharp." If you're interested in a great price with free shipping,
check out jbtoolsales.com.

While we're at it, someone send me a link explaining how to properly
set-up hand planes. I don't think I'm getting most out of mine.

https://thechristiantoolcabinet.word...nimal-bench-pl
ane-tuning/

I noticed a big difference after properly bedding the frog.

I found the WS does a fantastic job of flattening chisels and plane
irons, but when it comes to the bevel I like the concave bevel off of my
grinder and just a few passes on a stone. I often use the WS and
grinder together: grind a bit, cool, WS a bit to knock off that wire
edge, and repeat.

One more thought: I know Leonard Lee says not to dip the tool in water
to cool it, but I really don't notice a big difference in edge life when
I do. When it takes a few seconds on the WS to refresh the edge, why
waste time letting the tool cool naturally?

For the really fine sandpaper, look he
http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/mmr_discs.htm#6_0_psa

Puckdropper