Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Don't Buy This Blade

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

And a new sled? I'd rather not.

Epoxy, thickened with microballoons. (RIP Lew Hodgett.)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/21/17 5:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 9:53:47 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/21/17 7:28 AM, Leon wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 11/19/17 10:14 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If it's new, probably.

I found a better deal on eBay. New, $38, free shipping.
Ordered

One caveat I forgot to mention, though. I used blade
stabilizers, as I do with any thin kerf blade.

Any suggestions on what to buy?

I've got an old set of Dewalt stabilizers that I don't like.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/f...ter-x-5-8-bore

http://www.rockler.com/blade-stabilizers

Are they going to screw up my zero clearance inserts by
moving the blade?

It might widen it a smidgen.

It's going to do a lot more than widen it. It's going to move
it over the width of the stabilizer, which is probably 1/8". So
you now have a slot 1/8" wider than your blade which negates
the benefits of a ZCI on the motor side. If you do all your
cutting on the blade side it won't make a difference to the
quality of the cut. But if you cut on the motor side, you'll
get some tearout.

Whaaaaaaaaat? :-). Do all your cutting on the blade side?
Maybe you meant nut side.

But, regardless of where the gap is at you are likely to need/use
the pieces from both sides of the cut. So the usable scrap will
possibly have some splintering.

AND, yes using the double set stabilizer will widen the slot.

Yeah, I guess that doesn't make sense. Also you could cut long and
flip over to make the final cut. But yeah, just make a new ZCI and
be done with it.

--

And a new sled? I'd rather not.

You don't even need aZCI with a sled, but you can do what I do.
I use a sacrificial top on my sled. It's thin MDF (3/16"?) screwed down
to the sled that I just move over to cover the slot. The first pass
through the blade give you your ZC line. When you switch to a larger
blade/stack, it cuts through the sacrificial top to make a wider ZC line.
When you switch to a narrower blade, you just unscrew the MDF, move it
over to close the gap, screw it down, and start over. Very fast and
effective.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I agree, since the sled acts as a ZCI.

I use a sacrificial top on my sled. It's thin MDF (3/16"?) screwed down
to the sled that I just move over to cover the slot. The first pass
through the blade give you your ZC line. When you switch to a larger
blade/stack, it cuts through the sacrificial top to make a wider ZC line.
When you switch to a narrower blade, you just unscrew the MDF, move it
over to close the gap, screw it down, and start over. Very fast and
effective.

Sure, but now I have to raise the blade another 3/16". Jeez, more work. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 6:57:17 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/19/17 5:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a lot of plywood to cut for my bookcase project, so I thought I'd
try this blade. For $10, I didn't really expect much, but I figured I'd
give it a shot. Never tried a 200 tooth blade before. More is better,
right?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-1...200X/202021698

I had a fairly new 40 tooth Diablo on the table saw so I made a few test cuts
on a piece of 3/4 plywood to have something to compare the Avanti to. An
easy push through the blade and nice clean cut.

Then I tried the Avanti. Within the first couple of inches, it was apparent
that I'll have to take numerous breaks and even maybe a nap or two once I
start my project. The amount of effort required to get through 12" of 3/4"
plywood was astounding. I've got over 100' to finish cut on the table saw.
I'm tired just thinking about using that blade.

What about the quality of the cut, you ask? It sucks.

I don't know if this image is clear enough, but the top piece is the
Diablo cut, the bottom is the Avanti.

https://i.imgur.com/leZfTbI.jpg

I've got an 84 tooth laminate/non-ferrous metal Diablo blade that I've
used on my miter saw to cut a small amount of aluminum. I haven't tried
that yet...don't have time tonight. Thoughts?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...084L/100660707

I wish you would've asked about that blade, first!
Good news is you can return pretty much anything to home depot.

I tried one of those a while back and may even have posted a warning
about it.
For me, it wasn't so much the quality of cut but because the blade is so
thin, it bends and starts to curve, giving you a crooked cut that is
very hard to control.

In any case, that second blade you showed will probably do fine.
I use a thin-kerf cross cut blade that I got on sale for 40 bucks.
http://www.rockler.com/irwin-marples...ade-80t-hi-atb
I got it to cut bamboo plywood which is notoriously difficult to cross
cut. This blade did the best on it and makes perfect cuts in plywood.
It looks similar to yours.

I just tried out the irwin-marples-10-saw-blade-80t-hi-atb that I got on eBay
for $38.

First, it's the same thickness as the $30 40-tooth Diablo that had won the
earlier quality-of-cut trials. 3/32". No need for a new ZCI or sacrificial
top on the sled.

As far as quality-of-cut, I'll give it a slightly higher rating than the
$30 Diablo. $38 vs. $30 better? Barely. Full price at $50-$60 vs. $30 better?
Definitely not.

I can't speak to longevity since I don't cut a lot of plywood, but my bookcase
project should give me some indication. I'll run the Irwin for the plywood
until it either gives out or completes the job. We'll see how it does.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/17 4:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Good info, thanks.
If you don't mind, I'd love to hear the results of a test between those
two blades on hardwood crosscuts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 7:25:36 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/25/17 4:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 6:57:17 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/19/17 5:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a lot of plywood to cut for my bookcase project, so I thought I'd
try this blade. For $10, I didn't really expect much, but I figured I'd
give it a shot. Never tried a 200 tooth blade before. More is better,
right?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-1...200X/202021698

I had a fairly new 40 tooth Diablo on the table saw so I made a few test cuts
on a piece of 3/4 plywood to have something to compare the Avanti to. An
easy push through the blade and nice clean cut.

Then I tried the Avanti. Within the first couple of inches, it was apparent
that I'll have to take numerous breaks and even maybe a nap or two once I
start my project. The amount of effort required to get through 12" of 3/4"yay
[...]

If you have any particular species in mind, just send me a couple of hundred BF so
we make sure I test a large enough sample size. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/17 7:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Every respectable woodworker has some poplar, oak, or maple scraps
sitting in a bin somewhere.

Are you respectable? :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 8:40:46 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Respectable enough to even have some padauk. ;-)

Maybe tomorrow. I've already de-dusted myself for the day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Respectable enough to even have some padauk. ;-)

Maybe tomorrow. I've already de-dusted myself for the day.

That sounds delicious. Does it make a good mix with turkey gravy? :-)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 1:18:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Respectable enough to even have some padauk. ;-)

Maybe tomorrow. I've already de-dusted myself for the day.

That sounds delicious. Does it make a good mix with turkey gravy? :-)

I've never tried sawdust infused gravy, but I did mkae stuffing waffles on
Friday day morning.

A couple of us had them with eggs on top, others just used maple syrup.
Both ways were delicious. A tradition has been born!

https://i.imgur.com/2RIOuX2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8TpJxLf.jpg

I need to work on the presentation, but stuffing doesn't tend to pour
as well as waffle batter. It's more of a spread and sqush process.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Nov 2017 06:17:59 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Respectable enough to even have some padauk. ;-)

Maybe tomorrow. I've already de-dusted myself for the day.

That sounds delicious. Does it make a good mix with turkey gravy? :-)

Puckdropper

Do not know but a bread baker (large corp) did use saw dust cause it
is added fiber.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

That sounds delicious. Does it make a good mix with turkey gravy? :-)

Puckdropper

Do not know but a bread baker (large corp) did use saw dust cause it is
added fiber.

I've heard of a sausage maker using sawdust, because in these troubled
economic times, it's hard to make both ends meat.

Cheers,
Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:52:00 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I tested 3 blades today.

1 - A Bosch 60 tooth blade that came with my miter saw. It's on my
miter saw right now for some crap cuts, so I figured I might as well
try it for comparison.

2 - A Diablo 40 tooth general purpose blade on the table saw. This is
my "standard" blade. The one on the table saw is basically new. I have
another one that I plan to get sharpened.

3 - An Irwin-Marples 80 tooth Hi-ATB blade on the table saw.

I cross-cut 3 species using a sled: Poplar, Maple and Padauk

I made my choice of the smoothest cut and then had SWMBO give me her
opinion. She was totally unbiased because she had no idea which blade
made which cut. Her test was 100% tactile.

Without hesitation, the Bosch cut on the miter saw was deemed the worst
in all three cases. No surprise. Single finger swipe, decision made.

The comparison between the Diablo blade and the Irwin blade was much more
difficult. For both of us, it took multiple swipes before a decision was
made. For the Paduak and the Poplar, we both felt that the Irwin was slightly
smoother than the Diablo. For the Maple, we both chose the Diablo.

After SWMBO made her choices, I told her the price of the blades. She agreed
that in the cases where the Irwin was smoother, an $8 higher price (eBay) was
reasonable. When I told her that the Irwin typically sold for $50-$60, she
agreed that a $20-$30 price difference was not reflected in the difference
in the quality of cut.

Comparing longevity will be tougher. Maybe I'll leave that to someone else.

For now, I'll leave the Irwin on the table saw and put the Diablo on the
miter saw. That will get me through my bookcase project with 2 blades
that perform close enough to "equally well" for my purposes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/27/17 6:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the informative comparison review.
Were all the blades thin kerf?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:03:50 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

They all mic at 3/32€

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well I'm new to dado blades. I'm in the market to find a good one and was lucky to find this info - http://handtoolexpert.com/best-dado-blade/ . To me it's worth spending a few extra dollars on a real set for peace of mind and more options.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2017 2:10 PM, wrote:
Well I'm new to dado blades. I'm in the market to find a good one and was lucky to find this info -
http://handtoolexpert.com/best-dado-blade/ . To me it's worth spending a few extra dollars on a real set for peace of mind and more options.

I bought the Forrest Dado King set in 2005. I build a lot of furniture
and 99% of it has lots of dado's and groves.

For the first time ever I had this set resharpened by Forrest a couple
of months ago.

Very pricey but IMHO worth every penny if you are going to use the set a
lot. With most tools you will use them more if the work well. If they
don't give you good results you will tend to avoid them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:10:32 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Well I'm new to dado blades. I'm in the market to find a good one and was lucky to find this info -
http://handtoolexpert.com/best-dado-blade/ . To me it's worth spending a few extra dollars on a real set for peace of mind and more options.

I have both the Freud and Forrest sets. The Forrest is worth the
price, IMO. You'll only cry once.