Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Don't Buy This Blade

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:03:50 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/27/17 6:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I tested 3 blades today.

1 - A Bosch 60 tooth blade that came with my miter saw. It's on my
miter saw right now for some crap cuts, so I figured I might as well
try it for comparison.

2 - A Diablo 40 tooth general purpose blade on the table saw. This is
my "standard" blade. The one on the table saw is basically new. I have
another one that I plan to get sharpened.

3 - An Irwin-Marples 80 tooth Hi-ATB blade on the table saw.

I cross-cut 3 species using a sled: Poplar, Maple and Padauk

I made my choice of the smoothest cut and then had SWMBO give me her
opinion. She was totally unbiased because she had no idea which blade
made which cut. Her test was 100% tactile.

Without hesitation, the Bosch cut on the miter saw was deemed the worst
in all three cases. No surprise. Single finger swipe, decision made.

The comparison between the Diablo blade and the Irwin blade was much more
difficult. For both of us, it took multiple swipes before a decision was
made. For the Paduak and the Poplar, we both felt that the Irwin was slightly
smoother than the Diablo. For the Maple, we both chose the Diablo.

After SWMBO made her choices, I told her the price of the blades. She agreed
that in the cases where the Irwin was smoother, an $8 higher price (eBay) was
reasonable. When I told her that the Irwin typically sold for $50-$60, she
agreed that a $20-$30 price difference was not reflected in the difference
in the quality of cut.

Comparing longevity will be tougher. Maybe I'll leave that to someone else.

For now, I'll leave the Irwin on the table saw and put the Diablo on the
miter saw. That will get me through my bookcase project with 2 blades
that perform close enough to "equally well" for my purposes.

Thanks for the informative comparison review.
Were all the blades thin kerf?

They all mic at 3/32€