Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Don't Buy This Blade

On 11/25/17 7:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 7:25:36 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/25/17 4:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 6:57:17 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/19/17 5:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have a lot of plywood to cut for my bookcase project, so I thought I'd
try this blade. For $10, I didn't really expect much, but I figured I'd
give it a shot. Never tried a 200 tooth blade before. More is better,
right?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-1...200X/202021698

I had a fairly new 40 tooth Diablo on the table saw so I made a few test cuts
on a piece of 3/4 plywood to have something to compare the Avanti to. An
easy push through the blade and nice clean cut.

Then I tried the Avanti. Within the first couple of inches, it was apparent
that I'll have to take numerous breaks and even maybe a nap or two once I
start my project. The amount of effort required to get through 12" of 3/4"yay
plywood was astounding. I've got over 100' to finish cut on the table saw.
I'm tired just thinking about using that blade.

What about the quality of the cut, you ask? It sucks.

I don't know if this image is clear enough, but the top piece is the
Diablo cut, the bottom is the Avanti.

https://i.imgur.com/leZfTbI.jpg

I've got an 84 tooth laminate/non-ferrous metal Diablo blade that I've
used on my miter saw to cut a small amount of aluminum. I haven't tried
that yet...don't have time tonight. Thoughts?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...084L/100660707

I wish you would've asked about that blade, first!
Good news is you can return pretty much anything to home depot.

I tried one of those a while back and may even have posted a warning
about it.
For me, it wasn't so much the quality of cut but because the blade is so
thin, it bends and starts to curve, giving you a crooked cut that is
very hard to control.

In any case, that second blade you showed will probably do fine.
I use a thin-kerf cross cut blade that I got on sale for 40 bucks.
http://www.rockler.com/irwin-marples...ade-80t-hi-atb
I got it to cut bamboo plywood which is notoriously difficult to cross
cut. This blade did the best on it and makes perfect cuts in plywood.
It looks similar to yours.

I just tried out the irwin-marples-10-saw-blade-80t-hi-atb that I got on eBay
for $38.

First, it's the same thickness as the $30 40-tooth Diablo that had won the
earlier quality-of-cut trials. 3/32". No need for a new ZCI or sacrificial
top on the sled.

As far as quality-of-cut, I'll give it a slightly higher rating than the
$30 Diablo. $38 vs. $30 better? Barely. Full price at $50-$60 vs. $30 better?
Definitely not.

I can't speak to longevity since I don't cut a lot of plywood, but my bookcase
project should give me some indication. I'll run the Irwin for the plywood
until it either gives out or completes the job. We'll see how it does.

Good info, thanks.
If you don't mind, I'd love to hear the results of a test between those
two blades on hardwood crosscuts.

If you have any particular species in mind, just send me a couple of hundred BF so
we make sure I test a large enough sample size. ;-)

Every respectable woodworker has some poplar, oak, or maple scraps
sitting in a bin somewhere.

Are you respectable? :-p

--

-MIKE-