Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally OT Drive By!

On Sun, 14 May 2017 01:06:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

By industry standards, I am a deadbeat, too. There are months when I pay off my business credit accounts and it can reach nearly $10K. Any given month. It is about $7500 or so, but it is due every month. Rain days? What are those? Client doesn't pay on time? Not my creditors fault, you can ask them. No excuses, no leeway. If I miss or I am late, I might get a pass, but most likely will be terminated as a credit client. Commercial credit is demanding; a late fee for an "oops" isn't part of the equation. So I don't miss, and I am not late.

My house is paid off and has been for years. My old beater truck was paid off 10 years ago. I carry very little personal credit and actually only have one personal credit card. When I checked my credit scores a couple of years ago, they were disappointingly low. I called the clearing house (TransUnion of Equifax) and they told me that it wasn't that I had bad credit, it was that I didn't have ANY credit history of recent vintage. My training in credit services was ringing in my ears. "The prospective client must be able to demonstrate the ability to repay along with a current and active history of timely repayment".

It makes sense, no? The credit score is intended to not only show
your ability to pay but your willingness (track record). If you
didn't borrow anything, you would have a zero credit score . You'd
cease to exist. ;-)

Dave Ramsey talks about this all the time (he strongly advocates it,
in fact).

I put my eye surgery on my card ($9K) and paid it out using various schemes over about 2 years. My FICO score went up about 35 points, and I started getting more credit card offers. Hurray! Robert needs us again! Let's load him up!

;-)

For those who want a high score, a bunch of cards with high
availability and low usage, paid off each month will do wonders.
That's why I carry a high credit limit. I never use it but I may have
a couple of grand on a card in a given month (that will be paid that
month) but I don't want it to show as if I'm carrying 30% or 40% on
the card. I'd rather it be 10-20%.

It took a long time to get through my noggin that the credit card industry and other short term lenders don't care how much debt you have. (NOT talking the mortgage industry.) They care about your ability to repay. They don't care that you are a thrifty saver. Case in point, when you applied for a credit card, did they verify and of your cash on hand or CDs, etc.? Nope, they run a credit report, take your word on your income, and make a decision. You can be overwhelmed with debt, and have NO money in the bank and still get more credit cards.

They do care how much, sure, but they care most about how you're
paying (not necessarily off).

Credit card companies have no use for thrifty people, highly disciplined spenders, or folks that refuse to be sodomized by them. 10 years in lending led me to despise the short term credit industry.

Sure they do. If what you say were true, none of us "deadbeats" would
have a card, particularly one that refunds part of the purchase price.

To make the point that the credit card issuers, servicers, and promoters are souless vampires that will drink every drop of your blood, watch this:

Some, not all. Perhaps most, even. Blanket statements are *always*
wrong. ;-)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/credit/

It is a few years old, but NOTHING has changed, except to get worse. They even have the guy that developed the scheme that has a person pay so little on their credit cards that they can never pay it off. That is modified now and is illegal, but your minimum payment can still be less than the debt service fee, making that payment an interest only payment.

Now that *has* changed. The feds have increased the minimum payments,
much to the chagrin of the people drowning in debt. You just can't
please everyone.

The documentary shows how scheming, cunning, and evil the credit card companies are, and again, they are worse now than they were when that documentary was made. The documentary stays up though, as most people don't have any idea how credit cards work.

They're not worse. There are a lot of relatively new rules in place.
Most are disliked by both sides but do make sense.

Literally, when I saw that documentary, it gave me shivers. I have encouraged anyone I can to take a look at it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2017 6:27 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 May 2017 14:17:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/14/2017 1:55 PM,
wrote:

Also, you are married, no? If so, you have a combined credit score based on each other's activities whether their was mutual participation or not. The law looks at a married couple as one entity; so a spouse that purchases on credit will create a loan or charge that creates a mutual liability situation.

snip.

But if all payments are made, and all is on time, then both share the benefits. Should that event occur though, if you were the primary (worse, only) wager earner for the married entity, she would be completely sunk because she is single (a new, legal entity)and cannot demonstrate the ability to repay.

Robert

Thanks for the clarification. I told her to get her own card though the
other accounts supply 2 cards. In the past, a single woman had a hard
time getting credit. Never know when you may need it.

This is less true today but it's still a good idea for her to have
credit by herself. If for no other reason, that if you croak, she has
something to live on for a while. It would be unlikely that she could
get credit for a while and your accounts will probably be closed
(certainly if they're not in both names).

Income would take a bit of a hit when my SS goes to zero, but at least
hers (half of mine) will stay in place. There is enough to bury me or
burn me (cheaper and better option, IMO) and she gets my 401k. She'd
have a CC to use while the paperwork gets done. You never know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. Account(s) in her name only is cheap insurance. It's not as
bad as it once was[*] but you never know how badly things can get
tied up.
[*] All of the accounts, even the joint checking and savings accounts,
were frozen when my father died. She had _no_ money to live on. She
also had to legally adopt me (I was 12), for some wacked reason.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

Income would take a bit of a hit when my SS goes to zero, but at least
hers (half of mine) will stay in place. There is enough to bury me or
burn me (cheaper and better option, IMO) and she gets my 401k. She'd
have a CC to use while the paperwork gets done. You never know.

Apparently the option of "natural burial" is still there. Just dig a hole
and dump the body in the ground. I'd go for that, I've survived off the
dead remains of bugs and grass clippings as they decomposed into fertilizer
might as well give some back.

Honestly, after my family dies off who really cares where my body is
burried? I'd much rather be remembered what I've done than the hole my
body was put in.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2017 10:43 AM, dpb wrote:
On 05/14/2017 7:58 AM, Leon wrote:

Now figure out a way to phake the matching data!

Naaa, I don't want to fraud the CC company.

Would _I_ even think of such a thing?!

--

LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2017 11:03 AM, dpb wrote:
On 05/14/2017 3:06 AM, wrote:
By industry standards, I am a deadbeat, too. There are months when I
pay off my business credit accounts and it can reach nearly $10K. Any
given month. It is about $7500 or so, but it is due every month. Rain
days? What are those? Client doesn't pay on time? Not my creditors
fault, you can ask them. No excuses, no leeway. If I miss or I am late,
I might get a pass, but most likely will be terminated as a credit
client. Commercial credit is demanding; a late fee for an "oops" isn't
part of the equation. So I don't miss, and I am not late.

While still on the independent consulting gig I used a CC for floating
instrumentation or other hardware and like purchases for billing clients
with those vendors that didn't have standing accounts with and couldn't
foresee were going to be consistent-enough over longhaul to make
establishing an account worthwhile. But, those were billable accounts
that knew clients would pay when invoiced so was not issue of cash flow.

I'd never operate the farm inputs that way, however; the operating
capital for it is on annually renogtiated/extended credit line through
one or more sources. Far, far cheaper rates and when there's an
unforeseen glitch you go visit...

When it's 200 gal to fill a tractor tank and consumption may push 18
gal/hr so it's a daily chore, fuel bills alone monthly can push $10k for
heavy usage months. Add in other inputs such as seed, fertilizer,
chemical...

Anyway, it'd seem a float for smaller stuff might be ok, but the
investment up front for a full-size house job unless you're getting
progress payments would seem to require a different financing scheme
entirely so the CC would never come into play other than to routinely
pay every month's bill when it's due.

We use CC for almost all non-business expenses; together probably
average $2K/mo, but haven't paid an interest charge in 20 yr (except I
do recall missed a pay date on AmEx one time while were out of town but
they rescinded the late fee altho I think we did pay a couple bucks of
interest).

We try to buy everything on CC if for nothing else, the protection.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/15/2017 9:07 AM, Leon wrote:

We try to buy everything on CC if for nothing else, the protection.

For the occasional purchase that can be valuable, indeed. Just
groceries, etc., etc., don't seem that risky.

In my case it's just the convenience of only the one monthly statement
for the miscellaneous routine "stuff" almost exclusively altho certainly
anything over the 'net or thru eBay or the like is worthy.

Back more nearly on subject, I had brought the PM 180 planer back but it
was on three phase and no 3P service on the place so it'd just sat there
since coming back and I'd gotten by with the little Rockwell/Delta 13.

Broke down last fall and bought a converter and was able by searching to
buy necessary electrical fittings and all for as much as 75% off what
could get locally as there just is no local competitive supplier for
such given the small market like the building supply there's only one
electrical supply outfit in town. So, for a couple months there I
bought a bunch of stuff there as figured while ordering I'd just stock
up on common things...so, anyways, now the planer is in and operational,
got a larger DC on hand to get up when can get back to the finishing
structural reinforcement needed on west end of the barn where we were
when got sidetracked about 7 year ago...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2017 9:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 05/15/2017 9:07 AM, Leon wrote:

We try to buy everything on CC if for nothing else, the protection.

For the occasional purchase that can be valuable, indeed. Just
groceries, etc., etc., don't seem that risky.

Yeah well you know, LOL. There is also the 2% cash back.

In my case it's just the convenience of only the one monthly statement
for the miscellaneous routine "stuff" almost exclusively altho certainly
anything over the 'net or thru eBay or the like is worthy.

No kidding, no separate check for DirecTV, Electricity, Cell Phone, and
so on. And I pay the CC with a direct money transfer. I write about
2~3 checks per month and have 30~40 charges per month.

[...]

I hate being side tracked. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/15/2017 1:19 PM, Leon wrote:

Yeah well you know, LOL. There is also the 2% cash back.

While 2% is 2%, unless do a sizable flowthru it really doesn't add up to
that much actual cash. Then again, "a penny saved..."

No kidding, no separate check for DirecTV, Electricity, Cell Phone, and
so on. And I pay the CC with a direct money transfer. I write about 2~3
checks per month and have 30~40 charges per month.

We have more than that business accounts monthly that write checks for,
but all the routine bills are on direct-pay. I guess if were out to
maximize the cashback have them on the card as well but I'm more than
reluctant to ever give a CC company access to an account.

If ran the fuel bill that way, then could actually see it! As is,
the distributor discount is a little over that over pump pricing on bulk
delivery; 1% on the pump island.

Lynda can generally keep the car at about half-price with the Dillons
credit from the grocery tab, so she does it but only the two of us can't
eat enough to finance more than the one.

I hate being side tracked. :~)

Doncha' just, though! Now we're well into planting season this year
already...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/17 1:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/15/2017 9:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 05/15/2017 9:07 AM, Leon wrote: ...

In my case it's just the convenience of only the one monthly
statement for the miscellaneous routine "stuff" almost exclusively
altho certainly anything over the 'net or thru eBay or the like is
worthy.

No kidding, no separate check for DirecTV, Electricity, Cell Phone,
and so on. And I pay the CC with a direct money transfer. I write
about 2~3 checks per month and have 30~40 charges per month.

We just realized that the address on our checks is from the house we
moved out of 3 years ago! :-) That's how often we write checks.

What cracks me up are the technophobes who still insist on writing
checks for everything because they don't want their information out
there, "electronically."

Yet, when they write their check at the grocery store, the clerk runs it
through an electronic scanner that checks their account balance to
approve the check, withdrawing the funds immediately (just like a debt
card), and in most cases, the clerk hands the check back to the
customer. I've seen customers refuse to take back the check, thinking
they somehow must leave the check with the store. Then, when the
customer is out of sight, the clerk rips up the check and tosses it or
runs it through an under counter check shredder.

I have clients who are the same way and don't like instant, electronic
transactions. They will write me a check and I'll smile and accept it
with gratitude. Then I go to my car, take a picture of the check with
the bank app on my phone, and electronically send the check to my bank
and rip up their check.

Credit card fraud is just a nasty by-product the the age in which we live.
It happens and it's best to just take advantage of the technology the CC
companies and banks have set up to help you catch and avoid it.

Just this morning, the wife found another fraudulent charge on one of
our cards. So we clicked on the link to report it and it'll be taken
care of. Now, it sucks because we'll have to wait for another card in
the mail and change all the info at merchants who use that card, but
it's just the price of convenience. It probably happens once every
other year on average, but considering how many transactions we make and
the fact that it doesn't cost us anything to deal with it, I would never

The crooks are playing the same game and the industry just has to try to
stay ahead of them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2017 6:53 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

Income would take a bit of a hit when my SS goes to zero, but at least
hers (half of mine) will stay in place. There is enough to bury me or
burn me (cheaper and better option, IMO) and she gets my 401k. She'd
have a CC to use while the paperwork gets done. You never know.

Apparently the option of "natural burial" is still there. Just dig a hole
and dump the body in the ground. I'd go for that, I've survived off the
dead remains of bugs and grass clippings as they decomposed into fertilizer
might as well give some back.

Honestly, after my family dies off who really cares where my body is
burried? I'd much rather be remembered what I've done than the hole my
body was put in.

Puckdropper

My family knows my desires. Funeral cheap as possible, no viewing. If
you want to visit me, do in now. I'll appreciate flowers if you bring
them now instead of around a casket. We can have a drink or two I've
never visited family graves either. I'm not inspired by a stone, but
rather the memories.

I like the natural burial method. Maybe this summer I'll dig a hole
behind the garage so it will be ready when needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/15/2017 2:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

you want to visit me, do in now. ...

It ain't all about you, it's about them's that left after you...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2017 1:45 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/15/2017 1:19 PM, Leon wrote:

Yeah well you know, LOL. There is also the 2% cash back.

While 2% is 2%, unless do a sizable flowthru it really doesn't add up to
that much actual cash. Then again, "a penny saved..."

Six to seven hundred at the end of the year. I save it to help relieve
Christmas.

No kidding, no separate check for DirecTV, Electricity, Cell Phone, and
so on. And I pay the CC with a direct money transfer. I write about 2~3
checks per month and have 30~40 charges per month.

We have more than that business accounts monthly that write checks for,
but all the routine bills are on direct-pay. I guess if were out to
maximize the cashback have them on the card as well but I'm more than
reluctant to ever give a CC company access to an account.

I was reluctant too but then realized that when I give them a check for
payment they have my routing and account number. And I always opt for
single one time payments.

If ran the fuel bill that way, then could actually see it! As is,
the distributor discount is a little over that over pump pricing on bulk
delivery; 1% on the pump island.

Lynda can generally keep the car at about half-price with the Dillons
credit from the grocery tab, so she does it but only the two of us can't
eat enough to finance more than the one.

I hate being side tracked. :~)

Doncha' just, though! Now we're well into planting season this year
already...

--

Christmas is only 7 months away.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in :

[...]

I rather like the idea of having a big party. AFAIC, the Italians
have the right idea.

I like the natural burial method. Maybe this summer I'll dig a hole
behind the garage so it will be ready when needed.

So someone can fall in and sue you into the poor house?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 May 2017 15:07:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 05/15/2017 2:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

you want to visit me, do in now. ...

It ain't all about you, it's about them's that left after you...

Prezactly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 3:22:49 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Six to seven hundred at the end of the year. I save it to help relieve
Christmas.

Although I pay $125 for my AMEX business card, it pays a HEFTY return on purchases. The year before last when I was paying my roofing bill with it, I had a couple thousand in cash to use at Amazon.

Christmas is only 7 months away.

Really?? You just had to bring that up, right? Yikes!

I am amazed at how much time has passed this year. Worse, with my broken leg I am surprised how much income I have missed.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 May 2017 22:53:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 3:22:49 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Six to seven hundred at the end of the year. I save it to help relieve
Christmas.

Although I pay $125 for my AMEX business card, it pays a HEFTY return on purchases. The year before last when I was paying my roofing bill with it, I had a couple thousand in cash to use at Amazon.

More than 2%?

Christmas is only 7 months away.

Really?? You just had to bring that up, right? Yikes!

Sad.

I am amazed at how much time has passed this year. Worse, with my broken leg I am surprised how much income I have missed.

I must have missed that part. I hope you're doing OK.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 11:41:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Although I pay $125 for my AMEX business card, it pays a HEFTY return on purchases. The year before last when I was paying my roofing bill with it, I had a couple thousand in cash to use at Amazon.

More than 2%?

Strangely, it pays different amounts on different items purchased at different vendors. Possibly AMEX has some kind of participation from their vendors. Also, a three day stay at certain hotels (all moderately priced) will earn a $75 credit. More expensive hotels give you more. There are other perks too, but like the hotels, I don't take much advantage of them.

I like AMEX because they are great client advocates when a vendor/seller/manufacturer won't honor warranties. I also like that they will double (up to one year) the manufacturer's warranty on 99% of new purchases.

I must have missed that part. I hope you're doing OK.

Thanks. Not much to say. I was at the end of a long hard day working on the other end of town. I loaded up material and tied it to the headache rack, and let myself off the edge of the truck bed.

I slipped, rolled my leg over my ankle, broke my femur (spiral fracture) and popped my knee completely out of joint. Did a bunch of damage to the other parts and pieces of my leg when pulled, pushed, and moved too far. My foot turned purple with black spots in it from all the leaked blood. A lot of drama for a 4' drop.

Getting better, but it's slow. All this happened about 2 1/2 months ago. A solid 10 hour day of good work would sure do me wonders at this point.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 May 2017 11:45:11 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Yeouch! That's *bad*.

Getting better, but it's slow. All this happened about 2 1/2 months ago. A solid 10 hour day of good work would sure do me wonders at this point.

I understand completely. I sure hope you're well on your way. Are
you in PT yet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes. I started with about 5 minutes a day within about week of it happening. I was told that it is now a question of healing and how strong the repairs wind up being, so I can do as much PT as I can stand. Some days are better than others, but I am trying to get a couple of hours in a day myself, plus the supervised visits. The orthopedic doc said that about 30 minutes a day would be fantastic, so I thought I would give that a healthy bump.

Odd, they were most worried about my ankle since there was so much damage. What bothers me now is the shin break and the damage to the tendons on both sides of my ankle and my knee. The ankle is fine. Go figure... but I will take what I can get. A couple of months ago there were a lot of frowning faces predicting the worst with several procedures being mentioned.

Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Robert