Michael Kennedy

Default Repairng Proprietary FDS Floppy Drive. Quick Disk drive

I need some tips on how to get a floppy drive working. It is in a nintedo
disk system it is similar to Quick Disk drives of 20 years ago. Someone else
already tried replacing the drive belt and it still didn't work. There is
also a speed adjustment. Does anyone have a service manual for one of these
floppys. I think the read head (single sided) may be out of alignment. I
know you can use a scope with a service manual to adjust a normal floppy
drive. Any ideas?

- Mike

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:49:49 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I need some tips on how to get a floppy drive working. It is in a nintedo
disk system it is similar to Quick Disk drives of 20 years ago. Someone else
already tried replacing the drive belt and it still didn't work. There is
also a speed adjustment. Does anyone have a service manual for one of these
floppys. I think the read head (single sided) may be out of alignment. I
know you can use a scope with a service manual to adjust a normal floppy
drive. Any ideas?

- Mike

I think it will be difficult, if not impractical, to attempt a head
alignment without an alignment diskette. As for adjusting the speed,
if you know the target RPM, and if it is a multiple of your mains
frequency, then it should be a simple matter to design a paper strobe
disc that you could attach to the drive motor and watch under a
fluorescent light.

-- Franc Zabkar

James Sweet

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
[...]

Neon glow lamp works much better.

Michael Kennedy

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know where to start with the paper disk
idea. Sounds like what they used to have on the bottom of IBM 5.25 floppy
drives in the early 80's. Befor I was born but I have worked on about every
kind of pc from an 8086 up to today's stuff.

- Mike
"James Sweet" wrote in message

[...]

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:47:10 -0400, "Michael Kennedy"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't know where to start with the paper disk
idea. Sounds like what they used to have on the bottom of IBM 5.25 floppy
drives in the early 80's. Befor I was born but I have worked on about every
kind of pc from an 8086 up to today's stuff.

Let's say the FDD spins at 300 RPM. That's 5 revs/sec. Assume mains
frequency is 60Hz. Make a paper disc with 24 sectors alternating black
and white. Assume that at time zero the strobe flash illuminates a
black sector. The next flash arrives 1/60 sec later, at which time the
motor will have rotated through 1/12 (=5/60) rev. This means that the
same image will now be under the strobe, making it appear stationary.

[...]

Asimov

"James Sweet" bravely wrote to "All" (08 Oct 05 02:36:26)
--- on the heady topic of " Repairng Proprietary FDS Floppy Drive. Quick
Disk drive"

JS From: "James Sweet"
JS Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:344432

JS "Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
JS ...

As for adjusting the speed,
if you know the target RPM, and if it is a multiple of your mains
frequency, then it should be a simple matter to design a paper strobe
disc that you could attach to the drive motor and watch under a
fluorescent light.

JS Neon glow lamp works much better.

A small panel light (#47 etc) with a rectifier diode in series is fine
too. Just take into account that the flicker rate will be 60Hz with
this but it will be 120Hz with the neon. I guess one could always put
a rectifier in series with the neon.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Electrical Engineers do it with more frequency and less resistance.

Need a computer system for your nuclear program? Gunner Metalworking 42 December 28th 04 11:58 PM
8 Inch Disk Drive loedown Electronics 2 August 31st 04 01:00 PM
Searching for type of old floppy drive with HA13456AMP mjarven4 Electronics Repair 2 June 22nd 04 05:35 PM
Epson 5.25" floppy drive alignment Matt Carpenter Electronics Repair 0 November 15th 03 06:55 PM
Floppy Disk Drive Jack Electronics 3 September 5th 03 04:33 PM