Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Crappy Plywood

On 11/8/2016 8:54 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:07:53 -0500, Jack wrote:

OSB used for roofs must have some awesome glue, impervious to water,
bugs, mold, etc. No living thing seems to eat it, that stuff holds up
quite well. I know from experience. Some here are trashing it (Kevin),
which really surprises me. I guess they never used it and are out to
lunch on this one. When I first noticed it used in homes, I was
surprised. Now I know why it's used. Probably not good for ground
contact, but not much is, other than pressure treated stuff with a high
poison to wood ratio:-)

There is OSB, and then there is OSB. Some of it has such a high
resin content it stands up well to moisture - and even soaking. The
rest swells like crazy when it get set, and falls apart like wet
newpaper as soon as it gets wet. Lots of shed kits made of the latter
were sold a few years back - siding was not included but was required
according to the plans. Many never got siding or even a coat of paint,
and they just disintegrated in about 2 or 3 years.. A lot of that
cheap "aspenite" was also used for subfloors, and a water leak
anywhere caused the stuff to give way.

I know the early particle board was no good for damp conditions.
Neither is indoor plywood. The OSB used for roofing is extremely
durable. I don't think this stuff is special either. The Cat houses I
made were made with container boxes used to ship clothes. It was in the
early 90's that I saw it used on cabins for siding, unfinished. I asked
the guy that built one, who was a carpenter by profession, how he
expected it to hold up outside, as I was thinking like some of you that
it was junk, and would fall apart when wet. Well, it never did, and
neither did the cat houses I built.

When krw said, and I quote:

"OSB is often used on walls, with CDX corners, but anyone who uses it on
roofs should be taken out and shot."

Well, it shows he is clueless, and someone besides the builders using it
should be "taken out and shot". Virtually ALL roofs are sheathed with
this stuff around here, and I suspect the rest of the country is the same.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 7:42:09 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/CHP1030152.JPG

OT, but your pic reminded me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHCHcq1qBeU

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2016 7:36 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 15:19:39 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 11/6/2016 6:09 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 23:44:20 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

This might seem like Déjà vu for some, because I'm pretty sure I've
posted about this before, but it bears repeating.

What's the deal with this crappy plywood!?
There was a day when the squarest, straightest, flattest thing in the
room was a sheet of plywood.
I'm working with 54 sheets of 1/2" 4-ply BC and at least half of them
aren't square. I realize I'm not talking about $75 Baltic birch cabinet
grade stuff, here, but can we at least get it down to 1/8" or closer?

I'm sure when the machines are cranking this stuff out, they can adjust
the cutters periodically. How difficult is is it? I guess I wouldn't
be so ****ed off if it weren't for the fact that I've gotten "expensive"
plywood that was crooked, too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the last sheet I ripped had a big
bubble pop up in the middle because it wasn't glued. Yeah, it looks
like two 8ft. pieces of pita bread.
Chinese plywood?
The cheapest crap you could buy?

And oddly very often better quality than domestic costing 30% more.

No, the cheapest you can buy is very seldom better than higher priced
domestic. There is good imported stuff that is cheaper than domestic -
and possibly better - but that's not "the cheapest you can buy"

Yes, "the cheapest that I can buy at my supplier" is very often better
than domestic.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2016 8:49 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Water based glue used on interior grades will give up if it is
wet or kept in high humidity.

OR if you use water based primers and paints on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

"OSB is often used on walls, with CDX corners, but anyone who uses it on
roofs should be taken out and shot."

Right. It might take some rain but it doesn't hold nails for a crap.

Well, it shows he is clueless, and someone besides the builders using it
should be "taken out and shot". Virtually ALL roofs are sheathed with
this stuff around here, and I suspect the rest of the country is the same.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe 25 years ago or so in the San Fernando valley - south San Jose
there was a large builder that was caught with his pants down.

80 some houses lost their roofs because the OSB was glued up with water
based glue. It took several storms for the OSB to turn into globs.

He had to go in, clean up the mess and replace the roofs and interior if
not protected from rain in time.

I think what it was mill mistake. If you know the plants - OSB is made
in an OSB plant. Ply in a ply plant.

That is the way it is done out here. Chip trucks sometimes come from
one mill to the other - as scrap is valuable in OSB more than heat.

A judge was required to get him into action.

Martin

On 11/8/2016 8:07 AM, Jack wrote:
On 11/7/2016 9:49 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Water based glue used on interior grades will give up if it is
wet or kept in high humidity.

Exterior ply is made of tough strong glue. It doesn't give up.

I suspect you got ply that was in the rain - maybe the stack so your
sheet doesn't look like it got rained on. Also the B is open with
voids. Knot holes. They help wick in moisture.

I agree completely. Voids are always a problem with lower grade ply.
Should still be square however. If your stuff is not square you need to
complain loudly, that's the mills problem and needs addressed by the
retailer.

Glue is the biggie for outdoor stuff. The wood lasts as long as it can
dry out.

OSB used for roofs must have some awesome glue, impervious to water,
bugs, mold, etc. No living thing seems to eat it, that stuff holds up
quite well. I know from experience. Some here are trashing it (Kevin),
which really surprises me. I guess they never used it and are out to
lunch on this one. When I first noticed it used in homes, I was
surprised. Now I know why it's used. Probably not good for ground
contact, but not much is, other than pressure treated stuff with a high
poison to wood ratio:-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

"OSB is often used on walls, with CDX corners, but anyone who uses it on
roofs should be taken out and shot."

Right. It might take some rain but it doesn't hold nails for a crap.

That's wrong as well. CDX may hold a *hair* better, if you are not
nailing into a void, but it is a negligible difference in roofing. My
Shed that I built 26 years ago has OSB and shingle roof and it is in
perfect shape, and not one shingle has come loose. So just like 1x's
hold better than ply, it is negligible.

You can see that my shed and it's OSB roof is still holding up well
after 26 years of Pgh. weather:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedN0163e.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1060140Rc.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030201c2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030192.JPG

When I was a kid, all homes used 1x12 sheathing (#4 pine) for roofing.
Ply was 'cheap ass garbage' and anyone 'using it on roofs should be
shot' Turns out 1x _is_ better, but ply is good enough. OSB is/was in
the same place and nobody needs to be shot.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/9/2016 11:59 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Maybe 25 years ago or so in the San Fernando valley - south San Jose
there was a large builder that was caught with his pants down.

80 some houses lost their roofs because the OSB was glued up with water
based glue. It took several storms for the OSB to turn into globs.

Yes, that would be a disaster. If indoor plywood gets wet, it explodes
as well. When I was young you had to specify indoor or outdoor for
plywood. Not sure the indoor stuff is that common today, I think all
the glues are fairly water resistant, but I'm just guessing, I rarely
buy plywood or build much indoors or outdoors any more so it's just a
feeling I get.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

[...]

Well my home was built in 87, and the osb rotted away on the sheathing.
I had to replace sections that I was working on as it would not hold a nail.

It all turned black... was not water logged, was just rotted .. I think
the glue gave really.

A bunch of you told me how much better OsB is today. I'm not sure yet.
But I still harbor lots of ill feelings about it. I know that if I ever
strip off the aluminum siding, I'll probably have to replace all the
sheathing.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

"OSB is often used on walls, with CDX corners, but anyone who uses it on
roofs should be taken out and shot."

Right. It might take some rain but it doesn't hold nails for a crap.

That's wrong as well. CDX may hold a *hair* better, if you are not
nailing into a void, but it is a negligible difference in roofing. My
Shed that I built 26 years ago has OSB and shingle roof and it is in
perfect shape, and not one shingle has come loose. So just like 1x's
hold better than ply, it is negligible.

Bull****. This is also why plywood, or corner bracing, is needed
where OSB is used for sheathing. My VT house had OSB sheathing. I
could pull a siding nail with my bare hands. I had to make sure to
hit the studs or the siding would just fall off.

You can see that my shed and it's OSB roof is still holding up well
after 26 years of Pgh. weather:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedN0163e.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1060140Rc.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030201c2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030192.JPG

1- It's a frappin' shed.

2- Anecdote evidence.

When I was a kid, all homes used 1x12 sheathing (#4 pine) for roofing.
Ply was 'cheap ass garbage' and anyone 'using it on roofs should be
shott. Turns out 1x _is_ better, but ply is good enough. OSB is/was in
the same place and nobody needs to be shot.

OSB isn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've seen a show on Alaska building in the outback and they got a pallet
that was brought in and put under a tarp. When they went to it - it was
coming apart. Either the buyer bought cheap or didn't know and the
seller is likely just taking money.(bad on him also).

Martin

On 11/10/2016 8:57 AM, Jack wrote:
On 11/9/2016 11:59 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Maybe 25 years ago or so in the San Fernando valley - south San Jose
there was a large builder that was caught with his pants down.

80 some houses lost their roofs because the OSB was glued up with water
based glue. It took several storms for the OSB to turn into globs.

Yes, that would be a disaster. If indoor plywood gets wet, it explodes
as well. When I was young you had to specify indoor or outdoor for
plywood. Not sure the indoor stuff is that common today, I think all
the glues are fairly water resistant, but I'm just guessing, I rarely
buy plywood or build much indoors or outdoors any more so it's just a
feeling I get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

[...]

Perhaps you got the same stuff Martin was talking about where 80 homes
were built with the wrong glue base? If my cat houses and some cabins
sided with this stuff, and exposed unfinished to the elements for 20+
years is still in good shape, not to mention millions of contractors
have been using it for many years with no problems, it would seem odd
that your stuff would rot with no exposure to water or the elements.

A bunch of you told me how much better OsB is today. I'm not sure yet.
But I still harbor lots of ill feelings about it. I know that if I ever
strip off the aluminum siding, I'll probably have to replace all the
sheathing.

Not telling you what to use, but OSB is commonly used today in the
building industry. You of course can use 1x12 sheathing like they did
in the old days, or use plywood like they did before OSB. Hopefully, no
one will shoot you for whatever you choose:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bull****!

You can see that my shed and it's OSB roof is still holding up well
after 26 years of Pgh. weather:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedN0163e.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1060140Rc.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030201c2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030192.JPG

1- It's a frappin' shed.

Yeahbutt I never told the OSB what it was being used on.

2- Anecdote evidence.

Experience = evidence. Common usage = evidence. You = bull****!

When I was a kid, all homes used 1x12 sheathing (#4 pine) for roofing.
Ply was 'cheap ass garbage' and anyone 'using it on roofs should be
shott. Turns out 1x _is_ better, but ply is good enough. OSB is/was in
the same place and nobody needs to be shot.

OSB isn't.

it is!

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

"OSB is often used on walls, with CDX corners, but anyone who uses it on
roofs should be taken out and shot."

Right. It might take some rain but it doesn't hold nails for a crap.

That's wrong as well. CDX may hold a *hair* better, if you are not
nailing into a void, but it is a negligible difference in roofing. My
Shed that I built 26 years ago has OSB and shingle roof and it is in
perfect shape, and not one shingle has come loose. So just like 1x's
hold better than ply, it is negligible.

Bull****. This is also why plywood, or corner bracing, is needed
where OSB is used for sheathing. My VT house had OSB sheathing. I
could pull a siding nail with my bare hands. I had to make sure to
hit the studs or the siding would just fall off.

Bull****!

Ah, so you were there. Why the *F_CK* didn't you help!

You can see that my shed and it's OSB roof is still holding up well
after 26 years of Pgh. weather:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedN0163e.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1060140Rc.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030201c2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030192.JPG

1- It's a frappin' shed.

Yeahbutt I never told the OSB what it was being used on.

Size matters.

2- Anecdote evidence.

Experience = evidence. Common usage = evidence. You = bull****!

You can keep repeating bull**** but that doesn't make it smell any
better.

When I was a kid, all homes used 1x12 sheathing (#4 pine) for roofing.
Ply was 'cheap ass garbage' and anyone 'using it on roofs should be
shott. Turns out 1x _is_ better, but ply is good enough. OSB is/was in
the same place and nobody needs to be shot.

OSB isn't.

it is!

You can continue to say that but you can also continue to be *wrong*.
there is a reason it's not allowed as corner sheathing in many areas.
Plywood or diagonal bracing is required.
Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

[...]

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but this (admittedly 10 year old) article
makes no distinction between plywood and OSB when discussing Wall Bracing
and the IRC.

http://www.jlconline.com/how-to/fram...-and-the-irc_o

This one discusses using OSB to corner brace a foam sheathed wall:
"Its possible to brace a wall with just a few sheets of plywood or OSB.
A small house may require only two sheets of OSB per wall, usually located
at the corners."

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2011...sheathed-walls

Habitat For Humanity in Denver is fine with OSB for sheathing, but not for
barricades across openings.

https://www.habitatmetrodenver.org/m...rior_walls.pdf

I'm sure some local codes are stricter, and there may even an updated IRC
since 2006, but it seems (at least to me) that OSB is an acceptable product
for bracing.

As always, I'm willing to be proven wrong as I learn. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

[...]

How dare you let facts get in the way of a good argument.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/11/2016 4:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

How dare you let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Ditto ... and proving there are many grades, as well as valid uses, of
"oriented strand board" that many not in the construction trade are
apparently unaware.

IIRC, you used AdvanTech on your shop floor? Happy with it?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/16 8:20 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/11/2016 4:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

How dare you let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Ditto ... and proving there are many grades, as well as valid uses,
of "oriented strand board" that many not in the construction trade
are apparently unaware.

IIRC, you used AdvanTech on your shop floor? Happy with it?

Extremely.
Of course, as you point out, it is a far cry from the "oriented strand
board" these guys are scratching each others' eyes out over. :-)

Nonetheless, it's a shame that people who have a bad experience with a
product at the inception of its use go on the rest of their lives with a
deep seated prejudice towards it and allow that bias to color their
opinions of just about every other "newfangled" technology that comes
along after.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

When krw said, and I quote:

[...]

I apologize for interrupting.

Carry on...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/12/2016 9:20 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/11/2016 4:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

How dare you let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Ditto ... and proving there are many grades, as well as valid uses, of
"oriented strand board" that many not in the construction trade are
apparently unaware.

IIRC, you used AdvanTech on your shop floor? Happy with it?

Around here in my area of NJ Pittstown, NJ central western ..
many of the houses being built or expaned seem to be wrapped in ply , I
see a lot less OSB.. There still is some OSB, but I have noticed the
last few years ply is making a comeback.

Same with commercial small buildings.

Not sure why, just an observation.. There is a lot less building going
on then b4 2009, but its still noticeable that ply has comeback.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/11/2016 10:50 AM, krw wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:22:07 -0500, Jack wrote:

Bull****. This is also why plywood, or corner bracing, is needed
where OSB is used for sheathing. My VT house had OSB sheathing. I
could pull a siding nail with my bare hands. I had to make sure to
hit the studs or the siding would just fall off.

Bull****!

Ah, so you were there. Why the *F_CK* didn't you help!

Probably afraid of being shot...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Might be insurance company mandate after the coastal destruction of most
buildings.

It was later determined that keeping the wind out of the building
saves the building.

Martin