Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's the deal with this crappy plywood, these days?!

-MIKE- wrote:
This is the the second time I've bought 13 ply birch plywood that is
NOT square, NOT straight, and over-sized.

It used to be a given that you could count on plywood having perfectly
straight edges, perfectly square ends and corners, and being exactly
48x96.
I bought 5 sheets and not a single one is true. They are out of
square by 1/32" to 1/8" on every side, and are all over-sized by at
least 1/8".
I used to be able to use a factory edge as a straight cutting edge.
Not with this crap. Every long edge is bowed slightly in or out.

Don't even get me started on the paper thin finish plies that are
flaking off like acrylic paint.

"Made in China" saved me money, but has cost me 5x as much in time,
so far. Are there any US wholesale suppliers/distributors that I need
to look for who still make/source perfect plywood?

If you buy your plywood from HD, you get "one free cut" which can be used to
square it up - at least partly - so it's not as bad as it seems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
If you buy your plywood from HD, you get "one free cut" which can be used to
square it up - at least partly - so it's not as bad as it seems.

I hear you, but in my experience, their sheet rip saws are as
hit-and-miss as the plywood we're discussing.
I really doubt anyone is checking the adjustments on those things and as
many times as they get hit with carts and forklifts, you simply can't
take for granted that they will cut square.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
If you buy your plywood from HD, you get "one free cut" which can be used

square it up - at least partly - so it's not as bad as it seems.

The HD in my area is a higher class one. We get *two* free cuts.