Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's the deal with this crappy plywood, these days?!

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This is the the second time I've bought 13 ply birch plywood that is NOT
square, NOT straight, and over-sized.

It used to be a given that you could count on plywood having perfectly
straight edges, perfectly square ends and corners, and being exactly
48x96.

I bought 5 sheets and not a single one is true. They are out of square by
1/32" to 1/8" on every side, and are all over-sized by at least 1/8".

I used to be able to use a factory edge as a straight cutting edge.
Not with this crap. Every long edge is bowed slightly in or out.

Don't even get me started on the paper thin finish plies that are
flaking off like acrylic paint.

"Made in China" saved me money, but has cost me 5x as much in time, so
far.
Are there any US wholesale suppliers/distributors that I need to look
for who still make/source perfect plywood?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

For what it's worth the Lowe's in Hopkinsville just north of you sells
American made plywood, the Lowe's in Clarksville 30 miles south sells
Chinaply. Local real lumber yard sells only Chinaply. Check with different
Lowe's in the area you might find one that has Made in the USA or Canadaply
one it. Or make the 90 mile trip to Hopkinsville, it's worth it for the
real stuff.