Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Crappy Plywood

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 10:50:50 AM UTC-5, krw wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:22:07 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 11/10/2016 2:36 PM, krw wrote:
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:47:02 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 11/9/2016 12:57 PM, krw wrote:

I know the early particle board was no good for damp conditions.
Neither is indoor plywood. The OSB used for roofing is extremely
durable. I don't think this stuff is special either. The Cat houses I
made were made with container boxes used to ship clothes. It was in the
early 90's that I saw it used on cabins for siding, unfinished. I asked
the guy that built one, who was a carpenter by profession, how he
expected it to hold up outside, as I was thinking like some of you that
it was junk, and would fall apart when wet. Well, it never did, and
neither did the cat houses I built.

When krw said, and I quote:

"OSB is often used on walls, with CDX corners, but anyone who uses it on
roofs should be taken out and shot."

Right. It might take some rain but it doesn't hold nails for a crap..

That's wrong as well. CDX may hold a *hair* better, if you are not
nailing into a void, but it is a negligible difference in roofing. My
Shed that I built 26 years ago has OSB and shingle roof and it is in
perfect shape, and not one shingle has come loose. So just like 1x's
hold better than ply, it is negligible.

Bull****. This is also why plywood, or corner bracing, is needed
where OSB is used for sheathing. My VT house had OSB sheathing. I
could pull a siding nail with my bare hands. I had to make sure to
hit the studs or the siding would just fall off.

Bull****!

Ah, so you were there. Why the *F_CK* didn't you help!

You can see that my shed and it's OSB roof is still holding up well
after 26 years of Pgh. weather:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedN0163e.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1060140Rc.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030201c2.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/ShedP1030192.JPG

1- It's a frappin' shed.

Yeahbutt I never told the OSB what it was being used on.

Size matters.

2- Anecdote evidence.

Experience = evidence. Common usage = evidence. You = bull****!

You can keep repeating bull**** but that doesn't make it smell any
better.

When I was a kid, all homes used 1x12 sheathing (#4 pine) for roofing..
Ply was 'cheap ass garbage' and anyone 'using it on roofs should be
shott. Turns out 1x _is_ better, but ply is good enough. OSB is/was in
the same place and nobody needs to be shot.

OSB isn't.

it is!

You can continue to say that but you can also continue to be *wrong*.
there is a reason it's not allowed as corner sheathing in many areas.
Plywood or diagonal bracing is required.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but this (admittedly 10 year old) article
makes no distinction between plywood and OSB when discussing Wall Bracing
and the IRC.

http://www.jlconline.com/how-to/fram...-and-the-irc_o

This one discusses using OSB to corner brace a foam sheathed wall:
"Its possible to brace a wall with just a few sheets of plywood or OSB.
A small house may require only two sheets of OSB per wall, usually located
at the corners."

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2011...sheathed-walls

Habitat For Humanity in Denver is fine with OSB for sheathing, but not for
barricades across openings.

https://www.habitatmetrodenver.org/m...rior_walls.pdf

I'm sure some local codes are stricter, and there may even an updated IRC
since 2006, but it seems (at least to me) that OSB is an acceptable product
for bracing.

As always, I'm willing to be proven wrong as I learn. ;-)