Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawer Slide Repair Completed.

The job that inspired my previous posts about drawer slides and
soft-close adapters has been completed with great success and client
satisfaction.

I ended up taking accurate measurements of the inside width of the
cabinet boxes, calculating the space needed for the drawers/slides
combined width, and fabricating custom spacers in my shop. I also had
to do a bit of surgery on one cabinet because the drawer opening was
about 1/8" too narrow. Fein MultiMaster to the rescue!!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and recommendations.
The KV8500 slides were indeed very heavy duty and up to the task. I
have some reservations about the plastic parts on them, but I'll hold
off judgment until I get called back because one of them broke. :-)
The jury is also still out on the soft-close adapters but they seem to
function well. Time will tell.

Everything took me thrice as long as I initially thought it would-- par
for the course for new ventures like this. But I picked up some skills
and knowledge that will help the next repair job go a lot faster.
Bottom line is the client was thrilled. Check out this review they left
for me on the Thumbtack website I use for leads...

-------------------------------
5/5 Stars
"He redid our slides for our cabinets. They were breaking constantly and
we didn't know if they were fixable. When Mike came to look at them, he
talked to us about everything that was wrong with them and what he could
do to make them work again. He was AMAZING! If anyone were to ask for a
handyman contact I would give them his information immediately. He is
VERY trustworthy & works very hard. You can also tell he loves what he
does and he wants to make sure every job he does he completes 110%. He
is amazing!!!"
-------------------------------

I'll take it. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 3:45 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I also had
to do a bit of surgery on one cabinet because the drawer opening was
about 1/8" too narrow. Fein MultiMaster to the rescue!!

In that situation I have been known to set the table saw blade the same
height as the drawer side drawer slide, set the fence, run the whole
drawer though, shaving off 1/16" off each drawer side.

That 1/16" deep "dado" just cut is nicely hidden by the drawer slide.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and recommendations.
The KV8500 slides were indeed very heavy duty and up to the task. I
have some reservations about the plastic parts on them, but I'll hold
off judgment until I get called back because one of them broke. :-) The
jury is also still out on the soft-close adapters but they seem to
function well. Time will tell.

Been using KV's exclusively for years and have never had a call back due
to the plastic bits.

I have indeed broken some when forcing improperly installed drawers open
as a last resort, but, with the non-handed design, it is usually an
easy, no adjustment, replacement.

[...]

Nothing more, other than that the check went through, need be said.

Good job!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 3:45 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
The job that inspired my previous posts about drawer slides and
soft-close adapters has been completed with great success and client
satisfaction.

I ended up taking accurate measurements of the inside width of the
cabinet boxes, calculating the space needed for the drawers/slides
combined width, and fabricating custom spacers in my shop. I also had
to do a bit of surgery on one cabinet because the drawer opening was
about 1/8" too narrow. Fein MultiMaster to the rescue!!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and recommendations.
The KV8500 slides were indeed very heavy duty and up to the task. I
have some reservations about the plastic parts on them, but I'll hold
off judgment until I get called back because one of them broke. :-) The
jury is also still out on the soft-close adapters but they seem to
function well. Time will tell.

FWIW all slides have plastic parts, at least all of the ones that I have
seen.

Everything took me thrice as long as I initially thought it would-- par
for the course for new ventures like this. But I picked up some skills
and knowledge that will help the next repair job go a lot faster. Bottom
line is the client was thrilled. Check out this review they left for me
on the Thumbtack website I use for leads...

I am just now realizing that anything I do takes 3 times as long as it
seems that it should. LOL

-------------------------------
5/5 Stars
"He redid our slides for our cabinets. They were breaking constantly and
we didn't know if they were fixable. When Mike came to look at them, he
talked to us about everything that was wrong with them and what he could
do to make them work again. He was AMAZING! If anyone were to ask for a
handyman contact I would give them his information immediately. He is
VERY trustworthy & works very hard. You can also tell he loves what he
does and he wants to make sure every job he does he completes 110%. He
is amazing!!!"
-------------------------------

I'll take it. :-)

You sure should!!! Did you explain that completing 110% is a benefit
for you too? ;~) No go backs! Glad to hear you had a great out come.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2016 4:57 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/24/2016 3:45 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I also had
to do a bit of surgery on one cabinet because the drawer opening was
about 1/8" too narrow. Fein MultiMaster to the rescue!!

In that situation I have been known to set the table saw blade the same
height as the drawer side drawer slide, set the fence, run the whole
drawer though, shaving off 1/16" off each drawer side.

Exactly! ;~) and just one more good reason to mount the drawer side of
the slide near or at the bottom of the drawer vs. midway.

That 1/16" deep "dado" just cut is nicely hidden by the drawer slide.

Now you lost me. Dado? I was thinking sort'a of a rabbet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/16 4:57 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/24/2016 3:45 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I also had
to do a bit of surgery on one cabinet because the drawer opening was
about 1/8" too narrow. Fein MultiMaster to the rescue!!

In that situation I have been known to set the table saw blade the same
height as the drawer side drawer slide, set the fence, run the whole
drawer though, shaving off 1/16" off each drawer side.

That 1/16" deep "dado" just cut is nicely hidden by the drawer slide.

I did that last time I changed slides in my own house!!
In this case, I would've had to take the drawer back to the shop and do
that.
The cut is all sanded smooth, so you can hardly tell unless you look
very close at it. The drawer fronts cover it, too.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and recommendations.
The KV8500 slides were indeed very heavy duty and up to the task. I
have some reservations about the plastic parts on them, but I'll hold
off judgment until I get called back because one of them broke. :-) The
jury is also still out on the soft-close adapters but they seem to
function well. Time will tell.

Been using KV's exclusively for years and have never had a call back due
to the plastic bits.

Good to hear!

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:45:49 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

[...]

And you should, congratulations!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

[...]

It doesn't get better than this for a recommendation. Kudos to you Mike.
You earned it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/16 8:25 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

[...]

Plus, I got a tip! :-)
Thanks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I am just now realizing that anything I do takes 3 times as long as it
seems that it should. LOL

Yep, standard rule of thumb for me. figure out how long it takes to do the
job. Multiply times three. That is about right. Except anything that my
wife is involved with. You can tack on another 50% to those jobs.

And then there are those jobs that never seem to get done. Those are
referred to as the FOREVER JOBS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2016 2:28 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

And then there are those jobs that never seem to get done. Those are
referred to as the FOREVER JOBS.

Around here they're known as "if you want that done, do it yourself" jobs.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:28:24 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

I am just now realizing that anything I do takes 3 times as long as it
seems that it should. LOL

Yep, standard rule of thumb for me. figure out how long it takes to do the
job. Multiply times three. That is about right. Except anything that my
wife is involved with. You can tack on another 50% to those jobs.

I had a boss once tell me that for a realistic development schedule,
one should double the digits and increment the units, so a job that we
think should take a day, gets double to two days, then the days
incremented so the estimate should be two weeks. Somehow, he never
bought it when we used the process, though.

And then there are those jobs that never seem to get done. Those are
referred to as the FOREVER JOBS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 3:45:55 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

The KV8500 slides were indeed very heavy duty and up to the task. I
have some reservations about the plastic parts on them, but I'll hold
off judgment until I get called back because one of them broke. :-)
The jury is also still out on the soft-close adapters but they seem to
function well. Time will tell.

I am glad you like them. The client with the picture of the floating drawer was in touch with me this week and he told me that it is still in perfect alignment and working as designed, even on full extension. I was trying to remember back a few decades when KV was about the only drawer slides readily available in small quantities, and it seems to me even back in the 70's they had plastic parts. They were white plastic stops on the rear end of the slide and black plastic on the front. Couldn't say for sure, but I can say I would seriously doubt you will have any problems with those slides.

Good on 'ya for the good work and excellent review. Nothing sells more work like a happy client, and no doubt you deserved the pat on the back!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/16 9:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

I told them I'd stand by my work and the slides had a 15 year
manufacture warranty.

Good on 'ya for the good work and excellent review. Nothing sells
more work like a happy client, and no doubt you deserved the pat on
the back!

Robert

Tanks a rot.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

How far can a drawer slide out? Aaron Fude Home Repair 11 January 21st 09 11:45 PM
Old drawer slide???? Xantipas Home Repair 6 June 28th 08 07:34 PM
Old drawer slide???? RicodJour Home Repair 1 June 28th 08 03:33 AM
drawer slide Lee Woodworking 2 April 1st 08 07:38 PM
Euro style kitchen slide out trash drawer repair? [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 15th 06 11:47 AM