Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How far can a drawer slide out?

Hi,

Next to the fridge niche, I have space in the wall to install
something like a slide out pantry. The bottom drawer will contain a
trash bag and recycling bins. So I want the drawer on top of it to be
separate (so that the smell doesn't go up). I want the second drawer
to function as support for shopping bags while they are being unloaded
into the fridge, so we don't have to bend our bad backs...

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way,
what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers
and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Thanks,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2009 11:12 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way,
what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers
and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Yes. Ball-bearing double-extension drawer slides. Even Home Despot has
them (at least 'round heah). In fact, HD had the best selection of
drawer slides of all the places I checked recently.

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Next to the fridge niche, I have space in the wall to install
something like a slide out pantry. The bottom drawer will contain a
trash bag and recycling bins. So I want the drawer on top of it to be
separate (so that the smell doesn't go up). I want the second drawer
to function as support for shopping bags while they are being unloaded
into the fridge, so we don't have to bend our bad backs...

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way,
what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers
and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Thanks,

Aaron

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16979
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 20, 1:12*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
... drawer to function as support for shopping bags while they are being unloaded
into the fridge, so we don't have to bend our bad backs...

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? ...

I'd suggest considering leaving the drawer a drawer and putting in a
sliding support platform specifically for the support function --
several alternatives. Use a regular set of heavy over-draw slides
just on the board or there are ready-made inserts for heavy things
like commercial mixers, pastry-rolling shelves (sturdy to take rolling
forces), etc., ...

One possible source for ideas/hardware would be to look at Woodworkers
Hardware online catalog -- woodworkershardware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 10:07*am, dpb wrote:
On Jan 20, 1:12*am, Aaron Fude wrote:

... drawer to function as support for shopping bags while they are being unloaded
into the fridge, so we don't have to bend our bad backs...

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? ...

I'd suggest considering leaving the drawer a drawer and putting in a
sliding support platform specifically for the support function --
several alternatives. *Use a regular set of heavy over-draw slides
just on the board or there are ready-made inserts for heavy things
like commercial mixers, pastry-rolling shelves (sturdy to take rolling
forces), etc., ...

One possible source for ideas/hardware would be to look at Woodworkers
Hardware online catalog -- woodworkershardware.com

--

Google for drawer slides and you'll find manufacturers with variety of
products and data sheets. Look for full extension slides. How far

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 2:12*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way,
what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers
and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Get drawer slides that are rated for the weight you anticipate putting
on them. Full extension slides capable of holding up to hundreds of
pounds out to several feet are available. What you need is probably
available at the local big box store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 12:45*pm, wrote:
On Jan 20, 2:12*am, Aaron Fude wrote:

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way,
what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers
and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Get drawer slides that are rated for the weight you anticipate putting
on them. Full extension slides capable of holding up to hundreds of
pounds out to several feet are available. What you need is probably
available at the local big box store.

All right, thanks for the responses.

May I then ask about the supporting frame. Will pine hold up over time
our should I screw the slides into something harder. Also, is it a
good idea to have a horizontal stud breaking up the wall into two
pieces, top and bottom, kind of like this:

| | | |
- - - - -
| | | |

as opposed to nailing one to the existing vertical studs:

I I I I
T T T T

Not sure if I'm communicated my question well.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 2:42*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
On Jan 20, 12:45*pm, wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:12*am, Aaron Fude wrote:

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way,
what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers
and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Get drawer slides that are rated for the weight you anticipate putting
on them. Full extension slides capable of holding up to hundreds of
pounds out to several feet are available. What you need is probably
available at the local big box store.

All right, thanks for the responses.

May I then ask about the supporting frame. Will pine hold up over time
our should I screw the slides into something harder. Also, is it a
good idea to have a horizontal stud breaking up the wall into two
pieces, top and bottom, kind of like this:

| *| *| *|
- - - - -
| *| *| *|

as opposed to nailing one to the existing vertical studs:

I *I *I *I
T T T T

Not sure if I'm communicated my question well.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I don't see the relevance of the horizontal stud issue. The slides
are attached to the cabinet frame sides and supported by it, not the
wall behind. Any decent cabinets should certainly be able to support
an extension shelf holding 2 bags of groceries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 12:45*pm, wrote:

[...]

an extension shelf holding 2 bags of groceries.- Hide quoted text -

I won't have a cabinet. I'll have the drawer pulling out of the wall.
It least that's what I envisions so far...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 12:45*pm, wrote:

[...]

It least that's what I envisions so far...- Hide quoted text -

I'll have the drawer pulling out of the wall

Your walls are 30" thick? Where do you live...Fort Knox?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
On Jan 20, 2:12=A0am, Aaron Fude wrote:

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches?

[...]
I won't have a cabinet. I'll have the drawer pulling out of the wall.
It least that's what I envisions so far...

This I gotta see: a wall thick enough that you can pull a drawer 30 inches out
of it. Must be some wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
,
Aaron Fude wrote:
On Jan 20, 2:12=A0am, Aaron Fude wrote:

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer
that will slide out a good 30 inches?

[...]
I won't have a cabinet. I'll have the drawer pulling out of the wall.
It least that's what I envisions so far...

This I gotta see: a wall thick enough that you can pull a drawer 30
inches out
of it. Must be some wall.

Think Murphy Bed.

No, that's not right...

Maybe it's an exterior wall?

Drawer slide lube? KC Home Repair 7 July 7th 08 11:36 PM
Old drawer slide???? Xantipas Home Repair 6 June 28th 08 07:34 PM
Old drawer slide???? RicodJour Home Repair 1 June 28th 08 03:33 AM
drawer slide Lee Woodworking 2 April 1st 08 07:38 PM
What do these drawer slide numbers mean? Dukes909 Woodworking 3 March 9th 06 06:30 PM