Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Fude Aaron Fude is offline

Default How far can a drawer slide out?

On Jan 20, 12:45*pm, wrote:
On Jan 20, 2:12*am, Aaron Fude wrote:

My question is: is it possible to have a strong enough drawer that
will slide out a good 30 inches? When it's out almost the entire way,
what's supporting it? Anyway, I know nothing about building drawers
and supping them so I'm looking for some guidance here.

Get drawer slides that are rated for the weight you anticipate putting
on them. Full extension slides capable of holding up to hundreds of
pounds out to several feet are available. What you need is probably
available at the local big box store.

All right, thanks for the responses.

May I then ask about the supporting frame. Will pine hold up over time
our should I screw the slides into something harder. Also, is it a
good idea to have a horizontal stud breaking up the wall into two
pieces, top and bottom, kind of like this:

| | | |
- - - - -
| | | |

as opposed to nailing one to the existing vertical studs:

I I I I
T T T T

Not sure if I'm communicated my question well.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron