Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Push, pull, click click

I finished the vanity pull out I was making and installed it late yesterday.
It was a tight fit so my job for today was to take it out and skinny stuff
down a skosh.

Now, I am using full extension, ball bearing slides on it - HD best &
greatest - and they have a little lever that has to be pushed down to
release the drawer member from the frame member. The pull out is open to
the room on one side, close to a wall on the other; easy to release the
lever on the open side, just push the lever down. It is moderately more
difficult on the wall side as I can't see it but room enough to get my arm
down and feel it. Problem is, the damn thing wouldn't release...

Push lever down, try to pullout the pullout, tight as a drum, curse. The
foregoing was repeated numerous times. In between times, I was trying to
think of another way to get at it...cut through both sides of wall and
remove baseboard?...crowbar?

Finally, cursing silently, I pulled the lever up instead of pushing down.
It released.

Push down on one side, pull up on the other. Does that make sense? To the
manufacturer, I guess because he only had to make one configuration instead
of two, the second being a mirror image of the first. It doesn't please me

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2016 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Push down on one side, pull up on the other. Does that make sense? To the
manufacturer, I guess because he only had to make one configuration instead
of two, the second being a mirror image of the first. It doesn't please me

LOL ... the remodel business in fifteen words or less:

If left doesn't get you hot water, try right; if up doesn't work, try down.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2016 10:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Finally, cursing silently, I pulled the lever up instead of pushing down.
It released.

Push down on one side, pull up on the other. Does that make sense? To the
manufacturer, I guess because he only had to make one configuration instead
of two, the second being a mirror image of the first. It doesn't please me

Yes, I understand it. Why? The older I get the more I realize not many
things make sense so it is sensible to try the opposite. Make sense now?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:14:55 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

I've seen this before and it does make some sense (to someone). One
side is a mirror of the other. If you take the latch off once side
and flip it over, it fits on the other side but it's upside down,
hence operates backwards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/16 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

As I'm in the middle of a drawer slide research adventure myself, I can
answer that.
One big selling pint I've been seeing on all these slides is "non
left-right" or universal fit. All the mounting holes are are in the
center of the slide so they can swap to left or right.

That's what you're dealing with on the lever release. Mounted on the
right, you push down; on the left, you push up. Or is it vise-versa?
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Yeah! LOL Those slide normally come as "non handed" meaning neither
slide has to be used on a particular side. SOOOOO as you noticed if you
push up or down on one side you do the opposite on the other because one
of the slides is upside down.

The beauty is that yo do not have to keep up with which one goes on
which side when you are mounting dozens at a time.

Glad you did not crow bar it open. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2016 11:05 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/12/16 9:14 AM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

And there was a brand that I was using a few years back that used a tab
that you pushed in. That cuts down on the confusion but I find it much
easier to lift the lever than to push in on the tabs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That was news to me, I had a pair sitting on the floor here, ones that
I opened the package of so I knew them to not be tampered with.

Checked what you said, and you are totally correct. Thanks for the
heads up and you saved me the grief.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
And there was a brand that I was using a few years back that used a
tab that you pushed in. That cuts down on the confusion but I find
it much easier to lift the lever than to push in on the tabs.

I used a bunch of those when I did our kitchen cabinets. I agree, the lever
is much easier. Now that I know one pulls up, the other side pushes down

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2016 1:41 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
And there was a brand that I was using a few years back that used a
tab that you pushed in. That cuts down on the confusion but I find
it much easier to lift the lever than to push in on the tabs.

I used a bunch of those when I did our kitchen cabinets. I agree, the lever
is much easier. Now that I know one pulls up, the other side pushes down

I have installed so many of the full extension slides with the levers I
don't think I even have to think about which side lever goes up and
which side down. I just naturally do it correctly and yet sitting here
I could not tell which. Muscle memory I guess. LOL

But thinking I believe down on the right up on the left... Yup! Just
checked that out. At least that is so with the brand I have been using
the past 4~5 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Push down on one side, pull up on the other. Does that make sense?
To the manufacturer, I guess because he only had to make one
configuration instead of two, the second being a mirror image of the
first. It doesn't please me

LOL. I have done the exact same thing, cussed and swore for
the better part of an hour trying to get a drawer out with
that style slides.

If it had been intelligently designed, you wouldn't be able
to push it the wrong way. The fact you can move the lever
down on the side that should be up is the problem, because
it misleads you to think you're going the right way.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2016 4:37 PM, John McCoy wrote:

If it had been intelligently designed, you wouldn't be able
to push it the wrong way. The fact you can move the lever
down on the side that should be up is the problem, because
it misleads you to think you're going the right way.

The design is intelligent in the sense that it solves a much bigger
problem: left and right hand drawer slides have always been a PITA to
keep track of.

The "mirrored" slides are interchangeable, meaning you no longer have to
worry about matching pairs of drawer slides; and if you buy an extra
pair for when Murphy strikes, you now have two spares instead of one.

What you make on the grapes, you lose on the grapefruit ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Push down on one side, pull up on the other. Does that make sense?
To the manufacturer, I guess because he only had to make one
configuration instead of two, the second being a mirror image of the
first. It doesn't please me

LOL. I have done the exact same thing, cussed and swore for
the better part of an hour trying to get a drawer out with
that style slides.

If it had been intelligently designed, you wouldn't be able
to push it the wrong way. The fact you can move the lever
down on the side that should be up is the problem, because
it misleads you to think you're going the right way.

John

You just have to be intelligent enough to understand why. IMHO it is
pretty darn intelligent as it speeds production to install and probably
to manufacture.

If you released both sides in the same direction there would be a left
and right. As it is you simply mount the slide and move on with no care
as to left side or right side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Glad I could help!
I only know because the first time it happened to me I about torn the
entire summbich apart. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

LOL, I well know the feeling, and could sense it as you wrote it. I
was happy to find out the solution was easy, but why didn't they note
in on the packaging?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

Yes, there is a certain beauty to the simplicity of it all, but why
not note it on the wrapper for the noobies and HO's.

HomeOwners, LOL.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 10:42:50 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:

Yes, there is a certain beauty to the simplicity of it all, but why
not note it on the wrapper for the noobies and HO's.

HomeOwners, LOL.

So where would they put it so someone like you and McCoy would read it? In the Turner Diaries? How would you know to pay attention to a small instructive note when you are busy cramming your politics up the butts of the woodworking community?

You and yours are exactly the kind of people that deserve NO help. Foundering around with your self righteous political spew on this woodworking group is more fun than learning.

You and your political adversaries didn't obviously didn't get the message, or just don't care about your destructive behavior. Obviously you don't care about the wishes of the serious woodworkers on this site, folks that have reached out to help YOU specifically. I know I am sorry I did.

Now I can just hope that you and Doug, John and woodchuck finally **** each other off and get butt hurt enough to go away.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 22:05:35 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Well Robert, there isn't much I can say at this point that wouldn't
**** you off more. While the wood working info is more important to me
here than some of the sidelines, I realize that the harm to you has
already been done. And it isn't repairable from the way you are
speaking.

All I can do is offer you my apologies for stepping on your toes,
albeit inadvertently, as well as to the group.

It would be stupid of me to forget what info you gave me, so I won't
be giving that help up. Sorry.

I also will not be walking away from the group, as even reading
without replying is beneficiary to me and many others.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

As I always tell my wife, instructions are for sissies! LOL. Without
instructions the seasoned woodworkers and cabinet makers appear to be
magical and mysterious! :-)

And seriously then every screw would need to be labeled with which way to
turn it for insertion or removal and I doubt that there would be enough
room for that and the cancer warning label. :-)

Just yanking your chain. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually, not a mirror image. If it were a mirror image both sides would
work the same. As it is both are identical, but you turn one upside down
to mount it properly. Which one is upside down is anybody's guess. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 08:18:36 -0500, " " wrote:

schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:

[...]

!! SMACKDOWN !!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://i.imgur.com/GON8gT2.jpg

LOL, you have some serious problems. And your "quote" was in error.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

Hey, it doesn't matter how many times some people are told "clockwise"
they get all confused.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

They probably did somewhere in the fine print

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2016 10:45 AM, OFWW wrote:

Hey, it doesn't matter how many times some people are told "clockwise"
they get all confused.

Clocks today don't move, they just blink.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Right. Identical parts, flipped rather than mirrored, is cheaper. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Well in all fairness mostly mirrored except for that little latch we are
talking about. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

It would sure help if left-handed ones were marked somehow. ;-)

I came close to replacing a lawn edger after I spent a week trying to
(un)loosen the bolt that held the blade. Then there are the cars
where half the lug nuts go the wrong way (at least the threads are
visible).

Just yanking your chain. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in :

[...]

A good rule of thumb is to simply look at the normal direction that the
object spins. Almost always you loosen the attachment nut or bolt in
the same direction. For the nut or bolt to loosen by itself during
operation it has to spin faster than the object that it is holding which
is much less likely than if it loosened in the opposite direction.

I came close to replacing a lawn edger after I spent a week trying to
(un)loosen the bolt that held the blade. Then there are the cars
where half the lug nuts go the wrong way (at least the threads are
visible).

Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth used to do that. The lug nuts loosened on the
left side of the vehicle in the customary direction, counter clockwise.
The right side loosened, clockwise. Countless lug nuts were twisted off
in shops on those vehicles until they stopped that practice.

A nut or bolt is less likely to loosen and come off the farther it is
located away from the center of rotation of what it is holding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

And seriously then every screw would need to be labeled with which way to
turn it for insertion or removal and I doubt that there would be enough
room for that and the cancer warning label. :-)

Don't forget the warning that in California something about that screw
might be known to cause cancer...

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote in
:

Don't forget the warning that in California something about that screw
might be known to cause cancer...

You should always wear latex gloves while screwing in California.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

*snip*

A good rule of thumb is to simply look at the normal direction that
the object spins. Almost always you loosen the attachment nut or bolt
in the same direction. For the nut or bolt to loosen by itself during
operation it has to spin faster than the object that it is holding
which is much less likely than if it loosened in the opposite
direction.

*snip*

If you move the screw in the tighten direction, sometimes it loosens enough
for you to remove it. Covers both breaking a frozen screw loose and a
left-handed screw.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote in
:

Hey, it doesn't matter how many times some people are told "clockwise"
they get all confused.

They get even more confused about anticlockwise.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2016 11:00 PM, John McCoy wrote:
OFWW wrote in
:

Hey, it doesn't matter how many times some people are told "clockwise"
they get all confused.

They get even more confused about anticlockwise.

John

A guy in maintenance was having a difficult time drilling out a pop
rivet. He asked his boss to sharpen the bit. No better he told him "you
can't sharpen a bit for crap". Joe pushed a button on the drill and
said "now try it"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 2/13/2016 9:59 PM, John McCoy wrote:
No, you kind of missed my point. The design is bad if the lever
can move both ways, but only one has an effect. If the lever can
only move one way, it's obvious when you're pushing the wrong way
because it doesn't move. It's still symmetric, up on one side
and down on the other, but it's user-friendly about it.

John

Good God!

It is intelligently designed.

Life is too short to analyze the stupid simple things in life.

Use your brain for God's sake.

We all have probably had issue with the slide the first time we
encountered this.

How many Trophies do yo have???

He does have a good point, usability could probably be improved there.
It's not a battle I'm inclined to fight.

http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-t...learn-to-pick-
your-battles/

NSFW language, but a worthwhile read.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2016 9:59 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Swingman wrote in news:Q-2dnWlV_cab9yPLnZ2dnUU7-
:

On 2/12/2016 4:37 PM, John McCoy wrote:

If it had been intelligently designed, you wouldn't be able
to push it the wrong way. The fact you can move the lever
down on the side that should be up is the problem, because
it misleads you to think you're going the right way.

The design is intelligent in the sense that it solves a much bigger
problem: left and right hand drawer slides have always been a PITA to
keep track of.

The "mirrored" slides are interchangeable, meaning you no longer have to
worry about matching pairs of drawer slides; and if you buy an extra
pair for when Murphy strikes, you now have two spares instead of one.

No, you kind of missed my point. The design is bad if the lever
can move both ways, but only one has an effect.

And you mine. It is a practical truism that, with most
designs/engineering endeavors, convenience generally comes with a price.

This is a case where it is arguably better to take the time to learn how
something works, than to have additional, unnecessary cost and
complexity crammed into a single purpose device.

Basically the convenience of "non-handed" trumps a small inconvenience
for those of us who must occasionally spend some time on the left side
of the bell curve.

YMMV ...