Posted to rec.woodworking

Default new yankee workshop and drill press spindle sander

i do not recalll ever watching an entire episode when it aired
but recently i watched one and i had forgottent that he never gave the
details and was pushing selling the plans

it was funny to watch it as he skips over a lot of details

but i did see that he used a spindle into the drill press as a spindle
sander

i ordered a cheap set and i wonder if anyone here uses one of these
on their drill press

does it work well

i will mostly use it for small stuff

the one i ordered does not oscillate but i know they make those

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 16:45:28 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

i do not recalll ever watching an entire episode when it aired
but recently i watched one and i had forgottent that he never gave the
details and was pushing selling the plans

it was funny to watch it as he skips over a lot of details

but i did see that he used a spindle into the drill press as a spindle
sander

i ordered a cheap set and i wonder if anyone here uses one of these
on their drill press

does it work well

i will mostly use it for small stuff

the one i ordered does not oscillate but i know they make those

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 20:09:35 -0500
krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

Anytime you put sideways pressure on the spindle you can cause it to
drift off center. Sanding at the end away for the chuck will put
amplified pressure on where the chuck meets the tapered shaft.

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

No, it's really not.

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are
they designed to handle the lateral force?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2015 10:29 PM, Bill wrote:
krw wrote:
It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are
they designed to handle the lateral force?

Bill

They are designed to handle the forces. Is is a matter of using the
correct bearing for the intended purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are
they designed to handle the lateral force?

Bill

They are designed to handle the forces. Is is a matter of using the
correct bearing for the intended purpose.

You'd think someone would make a spindle sander attachment for a drill
press that had a bottom bearing in in a fixed base that could be clamped
to the table. Could be handy for someone with a small shop, low budget,
occasional use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 22:39:18 -0500
krw wrote:

No, it's really not.

how long did it last before you had problems on yours

It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

i will report back with my findings too

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:42:02 -0500
Greg Guarino wrote:

You'd think someone would make a spindle sander attachment for a
drill press that had a bottom bearing in in a fixed base that could
be clamped to the table. Could be handy for someone with a small
shop, low budget, occasional use.

hear mention of an oscillating attachment for a drill press but have not
sene one

i wonder if it has something like that

anyway the forces for light sanding are insignificant

a drill press is made for handling lateral forces

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 17:37:14 -0800
OFWW wrote:

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.

yeah not a big problem

nice that people care so much though about the drill press

i am thinking of giving it a name now

mill or miller or drilly
i know
sander or sandy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

i do not recalll ever watching an entire episode when it aired
but recently i watched one and i had forgottent that he never gave the
details and was pushing selling the plans

it was funny to watch it as he skips over a lot of details

but i did see that he used a spindle into the drill press as a spindle
sander

i ordered a cheap set and i wonder if anyone here uses one of these
on their drill press

does it work well

i will mostly use it for small stuff

the one i ordered does not oscillate but i know they make those

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

BUT,, I know that this has been hashed out for years on end but if you
think about the bearings on a DP they are side loaded to receive power.

The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet writes:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:42:02 -0500
Greg Guarino wrote:

You'd think someone would make a spindle sander attachment for a
drill press that had a bottom bearing in in a fixed base that could
be clamped to the table. Could be handy for someone with a small
shop, low budget, occasional use.

hear mention of an oscillating attachment for a drill press but have not
sene one

I had one[*], but the stationary OSS worked much better, particularly
for dust collection.
[*] Delta - for a 17" floor drill press.

i wonder if it has something like that

anyway the forces for light sanding are insignificant

I presume you have the data to back this up?

a drill press is made for handling lateral forces

No, a drill press is made to drill holes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

I can't help but wonder what kinds of side forces a forstner bit would
produce if you're drilling a half-hole in the edge of a piece of wood...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2015 2:15 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

I can't help but wonder what kinds of side forces a forstner bit would
produce if you're drilling a half-hole in the edge of a piece of wood...

I think still pretty much almost straight up,
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

Anytime you put sideways pressure on the spindle you can cause it to
drift off center. Sanding at the end away for the chuck will put
amplified pressure on where the chuck meets the tapered shaft.

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.

I have a Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, circa 1970. The manual
discusses using it as a router and as a drum sander. Since I have those
specific machines I use the drill press for drilling only.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
I think still pretty much almost straight up,

I mean, consider this image:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...1L._SY300_.jpg

with an asymmetrical cut like that, there's got to be some side pressure
generated too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SnA Higgins" wrote in
:

I have a Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, circa 1970. The manual
discusses using it as a router and as a drum sander. Since I have
those specific machines I use the drill press for drilling only.

A radial drill press is kind of a different animal - they
are usually much more stoutly constructed than a regular
drill press.

Myself, I have a small benchtop drill press from way back
when I first started getting tools, which is now reserved
for drum sanding. The bigger press is just for drills.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote in :

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

I can't help but wonder what kinds of side forces a forstner bit would
produce if you're drilling a half-hole in the edge of a piece of wood...

Better example would perhaps be a circle cutter, altho
even there I think the forces would be much smaller
and shorter duration than a sanding drum.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 15:59:45 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

with an asymmetrical cut like that, there's got to be some side pressure
generated too.

I've got one slightly shortened thumb that will testify to that :-).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2015 3:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:
"SnA Higgins" wrote in
:

I have a Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, circa 1970. The manual
discusses using it as a router and as a drum sander. Since I have
those specific machines I use the drill press for drilling only.

A radial drill press is kind of a different animal - they
are usually much more stoutly constructed than a regular
drill press.

I had one, a Rockwell 32" radial DP from the late 70's, really not built
any stronger except at the arm extension and pivot point which have
nothing to do with bearings.

Myself, I have a small benchtop drill press from way back
when I first started getting tools, which is now reserved
for drum sanding. The bigger press is just for drills.

John

I am beginning to think that there may not be much more pressure on a
drum sander attachment than the load of the belts.
And FWIW the up and down pressure from drilling really does not affect
any bearings. That load is carried by the rack and pinion that moves
the quill up and down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2015 4:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:
"SnA Higgins" wrote in
:

I have a Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, circa 1970. The manual
discusses using it as a router and as a drum sander. Since I have
those specific machines I use the drill press for drilling only.

A radial drill press is kind of a different animal - they
are usually much more stoutly constructed than a regular
drill press.

Myself, I have a small benchtop drill press from way back
when I first started getting tools, which is now reserved
for drum sanding. The bigger press is just for drills.

John

never thought they were any different except the way they are mounted.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 23:29:28 -0500, Bill
wrote:

krw wrote:
It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are
they designed to handle the lateral force?

Do you care about runout on a drum sander? I certainly do on a DP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

No, it's really not.

how long did it last before you had problems on yours

I'm not as stupid as some. I learn from the mistakes of others.

It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

i will report back with my findings too

Your drill press. Have at it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 21:12:18 -0500
krw wrote:

I'm not as stupid as some. I learn from the mistakes of others.

do tell what you learned
always interesting to hear about trial and tribulations

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.

yeah not a big problem

nice that people care so much though about the drill press

Any Craftsman or Tradesman cares about their tools, to keep them
reliable so that when you need it the most it still does what it is
supposed to do. There is a point and time where the tool is sloppy but
still useful for things like you want to do.

Me? I'd like to start er up and see it spinning true.

But after all is said and done, your tool, your money, your choice.

i am thinking of giving it a name now

mill or miller or drilly
i know
sander or sandy

Call it a Wibble Wobble oval hole maker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

I'm not as stupid as some. I learn from the mistakes of others.

do tell what you learned
always interesting to hear about trial and tribulations

It's clear that you're incapable of learning from others because you
can't even read.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:29:35 -0500
krw wrote:

It's clear that you're incapable of learning from others because you
can't even read.

haha funny and ironic

honestly the problem is comprehending jibberish like yours

get your meds dosage checked you may need more or less or get off them
or get a stronger one

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's clear that you're incapable of learning from others because you
can't even read.

haha funny and ironic.

No, you're not funny, at all. "Sad" is a better description.

honestly the problem is comprehending jibberish like yours

Says the illiterate who doesn't know what punctuation is for. We all
know you don't know how to write but now we all know that you can't
read, either.

get your meds dosage checked you may need more or less or get off them
or get a stronger one

You're the one who needs a checkup from the neck up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's clear that you're incapable of learning from others because you
can't even read.

haha funny and ironic.

No, you're not funny, at all. "Sad" is a better description.

honestly the problem is comprehending jibberish like yours

Says the illiterate who doesn't know what punctuation is for. We all
know you don't know how to write but now we all know that you can't
read, either.

get your meds dosage checked you may need more or less or get off them
or get a stronger one

You're the one who needs a checkup from the neck up.

I have him filtered - isn't he just background noise? I can't remember a single
post of his that had added anything useful to the group before I filtered him. I
still see a lot of his posts because many reply to him, and I still haven't seen
anything of any import from him on any subject, on topic or not - am I missing
something?

Jerry O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 00:15:46 -0800
OFWW wrote:

But after all is said and done, your tool, your money, your choice.

goes without saying but true

if a drill press could not handle some lateral force it would not be useful

think about drilling through wood with knots etc

my table tilts as most do
so again lateral forces

anyone that thinks a small spindle sand attachment is going to ruin a
drill press has incorrect thinking

they are not applying common sense
but common sense seems to be uncommon for many

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:

But after all is said and done, your tool, your money, your choice.

goes without saying but true

if a drill press could not handle some lateral force it would not be useful

think about drilling through wood with knots etc

my table tilts as most do
so again lateral forces

anyone that thinks a small spindle sand attachment is going to ruin a
drill press has incorrect thinking

they are not applying common sense
but common sense seems to be uncommon for many

A friend of mine had a wobbly chuck and not due to the internals, but
the fit of the chuck onto the spindle. If yours is pressure fitted and
without a locking set screw from the inside of the chuck to the middle
of the shaft then it will happen to your as well.

Just because something appears do-able doesn't mean its a smart move
to try it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:

But after all is said and done, your tool, your money, your choice.

goes without saying but true

if a drill press could not handle some lateral force it would not be useful

think about drilling through wood with knots etc

my table tilts as most do
so again lateral forces

anyone that thinks a small spindle sand attachment is going to ruin a
drill press has incorrect thinking

they are not applying common sense
but common sense seems to be uncommon for many

A friend of mine had a wobbly chuck and not due to the internals, but
the fit of the chuck onto the spindle. If yours is pressure fitted and
without a locking set screw from the inside of the chuck to the middle
of the shaft then it will happen to your as well.

Just because something appears do-able doesn't mean its a smart move
to try it.

Where'd you get that info?
Most all quality chucks are mounted on either a Jacobs taper, or Browne
and sharpe taper.

None that I know of use a set screw. The taper is what causes the good
fit, and accurate centering.

On the other hand a chuck that is set to a shaft that has not been
properly cleaned will not seat correctly and will cause all kinds of
problems. Not concentric, wobbly, capable of falling off.

A low quality chuck would use a set screw..

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 22:55:49 -0800
OFWW wrote:

A friend of mine had a wobbly chuck and not due to the internals, but
the fit of the chuck onto the spindle. If yours is pressure fitted and
without a locking set screw from the inside of the chuck to the middle
of the shaft then it will happen to your as well.

mine has a morse taper #2 or #3 i think
no woblly going on at all

this was a rescued drill press that had been abandoned and was quite rusted
it is excellent now

but it is a machine and machines must be put to use
i drill with it but with a sanding spindle it becomes even a more useful
machine

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 11:21:44 -0500
woodchucker wrote:

Most all quality chucks are mounted on either a Jacobs taper, or
Browne and sharpe taper.

mine must be a jacobs taper i guess

it looks like about a morse #2 or 3

nothing wobbly at all

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Most all quality chucks are mounted on either a Jacobs taper, or
Browne and sharpe taper.

mine must be a jacobs taper i guess

it looks like about a morse #2 or 3

nothing wobbly at all

MT2 or 3 are what go into your quill.

The JT and BS are for the chucks.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 16:17:38 -0500
woodchucker wrote:

MT2 or 3 are what go into your quill.

The JT and BS are for the chucks.

oh right i think i have heard that before

just guessing that the brown&sharpe taper older or jt is more widespread

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:

[...]

Ok, Guess I am going to have to eat a little dirt here. Years and
years ago I needed to change out a Jacobs chuck. This one really stuck
hard in my head since I was expecting a normal tap off operation. I
darned near ruined the drill press and I for sure ruined the chuck.
The reason it would not come off was because of a screw at the bottom
of the chuck locking in on the shaft. I buggered that screw and ended
up drilling the head clean off, then removed the chuck and then
removed the remaining parts of the screw. As a result that is so burnt
into my mind that I always do a double check.

I don't remember having that same problems since. I have had problems
with chucks not centering properly on the tapered shaft because of the
lateral forces and possibly soft metal or metal fatigue since then.
And as I said, my friends drill press was visibly wobbly, and he
passed away before a replacement chuck was tried. (He was just going
to throw the thing out due to his frustrations with it)

Also I always err on the better safe than sorry type of actions so I
may have jumped the gun on this. I personally do about 50/50 hard
metal to drilling wood on my Drill press.

None that I know of use a set screw. The taper is what causes the good
fit, and accurate centering.

Yet I have seen loose fits due to wear.

On the other hand a chuck that is set to a shaft that has not been
properly cleaned will not seat correctly and will cause all kinds of
problems. Not concentric, wobbly, capable of falling off.

A low quality chuck would use a set screw..

I have never considered Jacobs low end.

But thanks for your comments on my bad.