Posted to rec.woodworking

Default new yankee workshop and drill press spindle sander

i do not recalll ever watching an entire episode when it aired
but recently i watched one and i had forgottent that he never gave the
details and was pushing selling the plans

it was funny to watch it as he skips over a lot of details

but i did see that he used a spindle into the drill press as a spindle
sander

i ordered a cheap set and i wonder if anyone here uses one of these
on their drill press

does it work well

i will mostly use it for small stuff

the one i ordered does not oscillate but i know they make those

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 16:45:28 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

i do not recalll ever watching an entire episode when it aired
but recently i watched one and i had forgottent that he never gave the
details and was pushing selling the plans

it was funny to watch it as he skips over a lot of details

but i did see that he used a spindle into the drill press as a spindle
sander

i ordered a cheap set and i wonder if anyone here uses one of these
on their drill press

does it work well

i will mostly use it for small stuff

the one i ordered does not oscillate but i know they make those

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 20:09:35 -0500
krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

Anytime you put sideways pressure on the spindle you can cause it to
drift off center. Sanding at the end away for the chuck will put
amplified pressure on where the chuck meets the tapered shaft.

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 17:37:14 -0800
OFWW wrote:

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.

yeah not a big problem

nice that people care so much though about the drill press

i am thinking of giving it a name now

mill or miller or drilly
i know
sander or sandy

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.

yeah not a big problem

nice that people care so much though about the drill press

Any Craftsman or Tradesman cares about their tools, to keep them
reliable so that when you need it the most it still does what it is
supposed to do. There is a point and time where the tool is sloppy but
still useful for things like you want to do.

Me? I'd like to start er up and see it spinning true.

But after all is said and done, your tool, your money, your choice.

i am thinking of giving it a name now

mill or miller or drilly
i know
sander or sandy

Call it a Wibble Wobble oval hole maker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

Anytime you put sideways pressure on the spindle you can cause it to
drift off center. Sanding at the end away for the chuck will put
amplified pressure on where the chuck meets the tapered shaft.

It depends on the quality of the drill press as to how much you'll
have to pay for the dance.

I have a Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, circa 1970. The manual
discusses using it as a router and as a drum sander. Since I have those
specific machines I use the drill press for drilling only.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SnA Higgins" wrote in
:

I have a Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, circa 1970. The manual
discusses using it as a router and as a drum sander. Since I have
those specific machines I use the drill press for drilling only.

A radial drill press is kind of a different animal - they
are usually much more stoutly constructed than a regular
drill press.

Myself, I have a small benchtop drill press from way back
when I first started getting tools, which is now reserved
for drum sanding. The bigger press is just for drills.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

for light sanding it will be fine

No, it's really not.

i like putting my tools to work so i think side force is not a big factor
with light sanding

It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are
they designed to handle the lateral force?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/8/2015 10:29 PM, Bill wrote:
krw wrote:
It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are
they designed to handle the lateral force?

Bill

They are designed to handle the forces. Is is a matter of using the
correct bearing for the intended purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 23:29:28 -0500, Bill
wrote:

krw wrote:
It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are
they designed to handle the lateral force?

Do you care about runout on a drum sander? I certainly do on a DP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 22:39:18 -0500
krw wrote:

No, it's really not.

how long did it last before you had problems on yours

It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

i will report back with my findings too

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

No, it's really not.

how long did it last before you had problems on yours

I'm not as stupid as some. I learn from the mistakes of others.

It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill
presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

i will report back with my findings too

Your drill press. Have at it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

i do not recalll ever watching an entire episode when it aired
but recently i watched one and i had forgottent that he never gave the
details and was pushing selling the plans

it was funny to watch it as he skips over a lot of details

but i did see that he used a spindle into the drill press as a spindle
sander

i ordered a cheap set and i wonder if anyone here uses one of these
on their drill press

does it work well

i will mostly use it for small stuff

the one i ordered does not oscillate but i know they make those

It's a great idea, if you don't like your drill press. Side force is
hell on the bearings.

BUT,, I know that this has been hashed out for years on end but if you
think about the bearings on a DP they are side loaded to receive power.

The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

I can't help but wonder what kinds of side forces a forstner bit would
produce if you're drilling a half-hole in the edge of a piece of wood...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2015 2:15 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

I can't help but wonder what kinds of side forces a forstner bit would
produce if you're drilling a half-hole in the edge of a piece of wood...

I think still pretty much almost straight up,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
I think still pretty much almost straight up,

I mean, consider this image:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...1L._SY300_.jpg

with an asymmetrical cut like that, there's got to be some side pressure
generated too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote in :

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the
bottom gets some but less.

I can't help but wonder what kinds of side forces a forstner bit would
produce if you're drilling a half-hole in the edge of a piece of wood...

Better example would perhaps be a circle cutter, altho
even there I think the forces would be much smaller
and shorter duration than a sanding drum.

John