Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default drill press spindle bearing preload

Some time ago I got a 15" Clausing drill press that had some weird
spindle problem. Never got around to screwing with the old one and finally
bent over for a new one from Clausing. I did talk them down in price. All
the folks I spoke to over there were very helpful.

So it got the new spindle and bearings. All that slides into the quill
with a lock collar to keep the assmebly from falling apart. I can only
assume some sort of preload is needed to keep things from getting sloppy
under any load.

How hard should I snug on the spindle against the lock collar before
tightening it against the bearing? The spindle is 5/8" in diameter.