Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default new yankee workshop and drill press spindle sander

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 11:21:44 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 12/12/2015 1:55 AM, OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:53:46 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 00:15:46 -0800
OFWW wrote:

But after all is said and done, your tool, your money, your choice.

goes without saying but true

if a drill press could not handle some lateral force it would not be useful

think about drilling through wood with knots etc

my table tilts as most do
so again lateral forces

anyone that thinks a small spindle sand attachment is going to ruin a
drill press has incorrect thinking

they are not applying common sense
but common sense seems to be uncommon for many

A friend of mine had a wobbly chuck and not due to the internals, but
the fit of the chuck onto the spindle. If yours is pressure fitted and
without a locking set screw from the inside of the chuck to the middle
of the shaft then it will happen to your as well.

Just because something appears do-able doesn't mean its a smart move
to try it.

Where'd you get that info?
Most all quality chucks are mounted on either a Jacobs taper, or Browne
and sharpe taper.

Ok, Guess I am going to have to eat a little dirt here. Years and
years ago I needed to change out a Jacobs chuck. This one really stuck
hard in my head since I was expecting a normal tap off operation. I
darned near ruined the drill press and I for sure ruined the chuck.
The reason it would not come off was because of a screw at the bottom
of the chuck locking in on the shaft. I buggered that screw and ended
up drilling the head clean off, then removed the chuck and then
removed the remaining parts of the screw. As a result that is so burnt
into my mind that I always do a double check.

I don't remember having that same problems since. I have had problems
with chucks not centering properly on the tapered shaft because of the
lateral forces and possibly soft metal or metal fatigue since then.
And as I said, my friends drill press was visibly wobbly, and he
passed away before a replacement chuck was tried. (He was just going
to throw the thing out due to his frustrations with it)

Also I always err on the better safe than sorry type of actions so I
may have jumped the gun on this. I personally do about 50/50 hard
metal to drilling wood on my Drill press.

None that I know of use a set screw. The taper is what causes the good
fit, and accurate centering.

Yet I have seen loose fits due to wear.

On the other hand a chuck that is set to a shaft that has not been
properly cleaned will not seat correctly and will cause all kinds of
problems. Not concentric, wobbly, capable of falling off.

A low quality chuck would use a set screw..

I have never considered Jacobs low end.

But thanks for your comments on my bad.