Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring Q

was heard to mutter:

Kitchener Ontario Source Flooring. So the prices are in $0.77 dollars
too.

Ah that explains a lot.

Sucks to be an American???
Here I can haul any construction materials to the local landfill -
costs $75 per ton.

That's not an American thing, it's a company thing. Our previous trash
company picked up anything as long as it was tied up or boxed up in
packages not too difficult to pick up.

I was quoted for medium quality VLP, installed with underlayment, for
a cost of $6k. That includes a special 15% discount for being referred
by a friend to the owner. I left the store.

I can buy flooring at places like that here too. I can pay more than
that too - just need to know where to buy and where to walk.

I bought the carpet for the stairway and hall from a higher end store
- and paid their installers - with their best underlay - cost me
$1000. We bought what we wanted, not what was the cheapest.

The tile we bought for the front foyer was a bit more expensive too -
but for less than 40 square feet I told my wife not to even look at
the price - just choose the tile she wanted. Cost us less than $3 per
square foot. IIRC the ditra, thinset, and grout cost as much as the
tile.

The hardwood I bought directly from the mill for $2.35 per sq ft,
IIRC. I bought the air nailer on sale for about $50 - plus the cost of
the cleats/nails.

Hardwood would be a waste imho in a mobile home. No return on value.

The transitions are all transitions - not offsets. The transition from
one level to the other is spread over about 2 inches - definitely not
a trip hazard even for someone n crutches.

I have various seniors and handicapped people who come in and even a
folded carpet has caused issues for a few of them.

I installed all of my own tile, hardwood, and laminate. (also all but
2 of my windows)

Nice.

I own a little pickup truck.

I own an SUV.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

The only sure way to eliminate transition is to use the same material
throughout. Even then you may have 1/16" Or spray the floor with self
leveling concrete. The 1'16" difference is barely perceptible with baby
feet or a wheelchair.

The problem with one material is there is none truly suitable for every
room.

House came with all carpet and vinyl sheet. Baths, hallway and kitchen
were vinyl. Rest carpet. Dinning was carpet over vinyl sheet because
entire roll goes across one half of the double wide. All stapled down;
under cabinets and walls too.

Our trash pickup company will not take carpet, tile, etc,.

Sure they will, but it becomes a long term project to put the pieces in
the can every week.

Uh no. Can't store anything outside and no place to store it inside.
Not allowed to store outside. Communities don't allow 'eyesores'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:

Our trash pickup company will not take carpet, tile, etc,.

Sure they will, but it becomes a long term project to put the pieces in
the can every week.

And no, they provided a list a week before they started stating what
they will and will not take and they definitly will not take anything
on that list. I've seen plenty of neighbors forgetting and then having
to go out and deal with their own wet boxes, furniture, etc,.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 00:01:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My tile and hardwood are within less than 1/16 inch of the same hight
- transition to the vinyl is less than 1/4 inch.

Still a transition.

Laminate to carpet in the basement is less than 1/4 inch transition as
well.

Again, still a transition and not desired here.

The local discount flooring emporium currently has tile on at $0.67
and $0.97 per square foot, Laminate at $0.97 for the cheap stuff, and
$1.37 for the better (Krona) stuff, and hardwood from $1.97 up - lots
of it at 3.25. Installation is $1.25 per sq foot for 300 sq ft or
more.. Vinyl plank at $1.37 and Clik vinyl plank at $1.97.
Clik engineered maple hardwood $2.97.

What "local discount flooring emporium"??

Every local place I have been to has no tile that cheap except small
leftover lots that would be insufficient to do an entire home. I can
only find cheap VLP for $0.89 when it is on sale and again in low
quanities. Most are $1.99sq ft and up. Hardwood is over $2 sq ft and
installation starts at $2.50 and up, depending on material. Those
prices don't reflect underlayment and old material removal cost.

I was quoted for medium quality VLP, installed with underlayment, for
a cost of $6k. That includes a special 15% discount for being referred
by a friend to the owner. I left the store.

Our trash pickup company will not take carpet, tile, etc,. Our
community switched to a new trash company a year ago and everything
must fit in the provided can, the lid must close and you must adhere
to the weight limit. Nothing will be picked up outside the provided
can. No paints, flooring, oils, electronics, etc,. They do not provide
any recycling pickup.

Moving is not an option. In case someone was going to bring that up.

Does kind of suck. Do your spring cleaning and the options are to store
it for several weeks or rent a dumpster.

When we lived in NY, that's the way it was. When we moved, I filled a
couple of dumpsters with crap I had squirreled away, around the house.
VT was better, at least there was a place to get rid of the stuff.
Expensive, but at least there was a "dump". Now I do the "cut it up
and hide it in the garbage over several weeks" trick.

And how is it the old guy who used to ride on the back of the truck was
able to lift so much more than the hydraulic arm anyway?

It's not that so much as volume (route distance) and tipping weight
($$).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 10:24:29 -0400, Casper
wrote:

was heard to mutter:

Kitchener Ontario Source Flooring. So the prices are in $0.77 dollars
too.

Ah that explains a lot.

Sucks to be an American???
Here I can haul any construction materials to the local landfill -
costs $75 per ton.

That's not an American thing, it's a company thing. Our previous trash
company picked up anything as long as it was tied up or boxed up in
packages not too difficult to pick up.

I was talking about your lumber prices!!!
(However, for most things you pay a LOT less than we do up here in
Canada.)

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hardwood would be a waste imho in a mobile home. No return on value.

I suspected it was a "redneck bungalow" - which is why I asked how big
it is. Just about any of the low volume deals would have enough to do
a trailer home up here
The transitions are all transitions - not offsets. The transition from
one level to the other is spread over about 2 inches - definitely not
a trip hazard even for someone n crutches.

I have various seniors and handicapped people who come in and even a
folded carpet has caused issues for a few of them.

These transitions are significantly less than a folded carpet.

I installed all of my own tile, hardwood, and laminate. (also all but
2 of my windows)

Nice.

I own a little pickup truck.

I own an SUV.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 10:26:03 -0400, Casper
wrote:

was heard to mutter:

Every local place I have been to has no tile that cheap except small
leftover lots that would be insufficient to do an entire home.

How big is your home?????

1390 sq feet. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 utility hall/room, combo kitchen
dinning that opens into living room.

Big mobile.About the size of my 2 story. - bigger actually, if you
don't count my basement.(mine is 1325 sq ft on 2 levels, plus the
finished basement)
Posted to rec.woodworking

So more a "factory built home" than a double-wide trailer. - If you
want it all the same, your best bet is high quality sheet vinyl, just
like it came with but possibly better quality. Your second best is
Luxury Vinyl Plank - clic-type, which costs more but you can install
yourself.

I think the term today is manufactured home.

I have no issues with sheet vinyl but my other half does.

We were looking at more LVP yesterday. The stick-to-edges type has a
25 year warranty and is highly water resistant. Starts at $2.09 a sq
ft. Free floating and no underlayment over OSB required.

Their cLVP (click-type) starts at $2.99 per sq ft. Waterproof and
lifetime residential. No underlayment required over OSB.

We don't need waterproof, just good water resistance for kitchen,
baths and laundry room. No outside flooding concerns. Thickness
difference between the two is marginal so no issues there. We actually
like the color options the offer on the sLVP more than cLVP.

Anyone ever use the sLVP? This is NOT the kind that sticks to the
floor. Only the edges stick to one another.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Your second best is Luxury Vinyl Plank...

Here is some info on one of the sVLP type we looked at...
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...26aa0f6f4c.pdf

sVLP = stick-to-edge VLP or also called Grip-Strip VLP.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:08:38 -0400, Casper
wrote:

[...]

Used it in my step-mother's house. I'd go for the clic for the small
difference in price and the ease of installation (and the ease of
future repair - you can pop out a damaged clic-tile and replace it
relatively easily - not so easy with edge glued tile)

What to use for flooring? Nick UK diy 8 November 9th 11 10:50 AM
Flooring Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 33 July 8th 09 03:35 PM
Flooring Paul Home Repair 2 April 7th 06 02:45 PM
Natura engineered wooden flooring from Flooring Supplies - any experiences? Mark Walters UK diy 3 February 15th 05 09:24 PM
New Kitchen: Flooring b4 units or units b4 flooring? Vortex UK diy 8 November 7th 03 07:00 PM