Posted to rec.woodworking

Default powder post beetle

Hi all ;

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience or expertise -
- with eradicating / limiting the effect of powder post beetles -
- in the home ? I'm in southern Ontario.

I'm quite sure that I have the same problem as this couple -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...irms-1.2897847

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

My flooring company says that the lumber for my flooring
came from Ohio - not their normal source - it's hickory -
2 1/4 wide 3/4 thick pre finished.
So far - in my 4 - 5 year old floor - I seem to have 4 or 5
affected boards .. I hope to address the removal / replacement
of these in a subsequent posting ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 5:37:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi all ;

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience or expertise -
- with eradicating / limiting the effect of powder post beetles -
- in the home ? I'm in southern Ontario.

I'm quite sure that I have the same problem as this couple -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...irms-1.2897847

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

My flooring company says that the lumber for my flooring
came from Ohio - not their normal source - it's hickory -
2 1/4 wide 3/4 thick pre finished.
So far - in my 4 - 5 year old floor - I seem to have 4 or 5
affected boards .. I hope to address the removal / replacement
of these in a subsequent posting ..
John T.

I'm in a rush at the moment. Will comment further, later.

Timbor is used to treat powder post beetle (woodworm in England). You mix Timbor with water and spray.... somewhat soak the wood for best results. Timbor comes in about a 1 lb package.... costs $11 US down here - Louisiana. One package will treat about 2-3K square feet of house/shop. I use it yearly, to treat my shop and lumber caches, for prevention. I spray walls, ceilings, everything/anything exposed.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Timbor needs to dissolve in the water.

The beetle larvae emerges from the wood in spring, grows into an adult during the summer, then, in late fall, returns to the hatchery (same wood it came from) and lays new eggs. Knowing the life cycle can often help determine when an infestation occurs and where it originates from.

In that news link, if that home owner purchased the flooring during the summer and the larvae emerged the following spring, then the infestation was already in the wood/flooring, when purchased.

If you buy infested wood, those hatched bugs will come back to the same wood and repeat the life cycle with the next generation.

The adult insect has wings, it flies. An infestation does not start by flying to your property. The adults return to where they hatched from, they don't fly to new places. The way an infestation moves/migrates is by infected wood being moved to a new location. The only time wood is infected is when the bug is in the egg and larvae stages.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 8:09:33 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
The Timbor needs to dissolve in the water.

The Timbor crystals don't readily dissolve. You have to stir and stir and stir some mo, maybe even stir a little more, to make sure it dissolves.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

As Sonny said, Timbor will take care of your problem. In addition to the crystals, it also comes as a fine powder, which dissolves rather quickly.

That being said, either use it in a well ventilated place or wear a respirator.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:09:30 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply, Sonny & others.
Can Timbor or something similar, be injected into the
exit holes with a syringe - with any success ?
Or do I definitely need to replace the infected floor pieces ?
I think I would only use Timbor in a widespread application -
if the infestation were to spread to structure .. or perhaps as
a preventative under & around the new floor pieces ?

Next question - perhaps I'll start a new thread ..
Tips & Tricks for removing & replacing the hardwood floor pieces ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 7:15:42 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Sonny & others.
Can Timbor or something similar, be injected into the
exit holes with a syringe - with any success ?
Or do I definitely need to replace the infected floor pieces ?
I think I would only use Timbor in a widespread application -
if the infestation were to spread to structure .. or perhaps as
a preventative under & around the new floor pieces ?

Next question - perhaps I'll start a new thread ..
Tips & Tricks for removing & replacing the hardwood floor pieces ..
John T.

Exit holes imply EXIT. The larvae may have already emerged and flown away. If the dust is still being pushed out of the holes, then there are larvae still in the wood.

You don't have to spray inside the holes. You don't want to treat just the area with the holes. Treat your whole house and surrounding immediate buildings. Timbor is cheap, don't skimp on your preventative treatment. If any of the larvae/adults have emerged and flown away, they'll be back....

**If any of the larvae/adults have emerged and flown away, they'll be back.....
This is kind of a misnomer, in that, this is the wrong time of year for the larvae to be emerging, now. They emerged last spring. Your holes have been there since spring, at least. The adults would have returned in Sept Oct Nov and laid new eggs. You can't see the new holes, the new eggs were laid in, because the adult has covered up/sealed the holes, after they lay the eggs.

If you are having the larvae emerging at this time, I would suppose your indoor environment is a "faux spring" environment for them.

If dust is coming out of the holes, now, you need to inpect closely, to see the dust actually being push out, or you can sometimes hear the larvae making tiny "noises" as the eat and/or push the dust out. But the dust might be coming out because of vibration of the floor, as you walk on it, or bounce hard enough on the floor, to vibrate the dust out.

I'm aware of the gassing treatment. I've had upholstery pieces that was treated with gas. I don't know how or what gas to treat with. The pro exterminators do the gassing.

For Timbor treating, I would treat now, treat this coming mid summer and treat again mid fall. After that, twice a year treaments, unless your area is not so prevalent for PPB.

Powder post beetle is very prevalent, down here. I do vigorous preventative treatments to my shop and lumber caches, twice a year. I've never had a PPB problem. I do wear a mask and eye protection, when spraying.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default powder post beetle in hardwood floor - follow-up post

Hi All ;

Thanks again to those who replied previously.
This is just a follow-up f y i ..

The flooring company sent their guy to remove & replace
the 4 infested boards. There was no apparent spreading of the
critters to neighbouring wood - thankfully.

I believe that the pesticide mentioned in previous posts
Timbor is not available in Ontario / Canada
except perhaps for licensed exterminators ?

The process he used for removing the boards was fairly
crude but simple & effective :
: drill a series of holes about 3-4 " apart down through the
flooring, along each edge but in ~ 1/4 " from the edge
: use oscillating saw to join the dots along the edge and across
the center every ~ 4 inches
: chisel out the center chunks
: chisel out the edges ; looking for the nails to cut & pull

Now to cross my fingers & toes and keep watch for any further
signs of them ..
John T.