Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Default Powder post beetle treatment?

What is a good treatment to kill infested wood? I want to make sure the bugs
don't get into my stash when I take this wood into the shop to turn. Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
What is a good treatment to kill infested wood? I want to make sure the
bugs don't get into my stash when I take this wood into the shop to turn.
Dan

Got a vacuum pump? Drawing a vacuum inside a metal drum should do for the
grubs and beetles. Don't know about the eggs.

If the wood is small, might want to isolate them for a while with some borax
spread around to be tracked to death.
http://www.pestproducts.com/powderpost2.htm Big boys use heat, but
depending on the moisture content of your wood, might not be a practical
alternative. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/ with a search turns a couple of
articles.

These guys say call it a feature, and charge a premium!
http://www.exopest.com.au/borers/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Dan

Kerosine, diesel fuel etc. will kill them alright, the combustion
factor might be a problem though.
Depending on size etc., a dunking and containing wood and vapors in a
closed environment for a few days, like a metal container should do the
job.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

submerging in water for a few days ought to do it becvause they will
drown

On 20 May 2006 10:51:12 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi Dan

Kerosine, diesel fuel etc. will kill them alright, the combustion
factor might be a problem though.
Depending on size etc., a dunking and containing wood and vapors in a
closed environment for a few days, like a metal container should do the
job.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Probably, but then I paid extra for this wood because it had been dried.

I'm going to use the vacuum treatment that George suggested.

In the meantime, I'm going to buy some Timor or Boracare to treat this old barn
wood and any other wood I keep in storage.

Dan

"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Hi Dan

Kerosine, diesel fuel etc. will kill them alright, the combustion
factor might be a problem though.
Depending on size etc., a dunking and containing wood and vapors in a
closed environment for a few days, like a metal container should do the
job.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

if you don't like water, try naptha (moth balls) - put in a bag, with
a moth ball or two and just forget it until you are ready to use -
I'll bet the little guys get pretty drowsy pretty fast.