Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange beetle

I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle1.jpg
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg

No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg

No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lino expert wrote in message
On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg
No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

That'll explain why it's dead then :-)

Sorry, I'll get me coat

KK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lino expert writes:
On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg

No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

I didn't know what they were, but we had loads of them flying around
in the warm evenings a week or two back, together with loads of bats
intercepting them mid-flight -- I'd never seen anything like it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 744d1a95-8a2c-49b1-ae64-307c8b67512f@l12g2000yqo.
googlegroups.com

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...eetle1.jpghttp

://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/example/beetle2.jpg

No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found
some info here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchaferinfo and it
is indeed a May Bug.

Thanks very much, I can now tell them as work what it is called.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg
No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

That'll explain why it's dead then :-)

There is also a june bug ;-)

Sorry, I'll get me coat

KK

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Lino expert writes:
On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg

No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

I didn't know what they were, but we had loads of them flying around
in the warm evenings a week or two back, together with loads of bats
intercepting them mid-flight -- I'd never seen anything like it.

I've just read that its a delicacy in France, yuk!

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sdhull wrote in message ...
In message

On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg
No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here
perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

That'll explain why it's dead then :-)

There is also a june bug ;-)

Hmm, last dune bug I saw was based on a VW :-/

KK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Lino expert wrote:
On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg

Looks like a May bug.

Yep. Used to get loads of them as a kid. They used to fly into my bedroom
window (makes quite a noise... I assume attracted by the light).

Big buggers!

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lino expert wrote:

On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...eetle1.jpghttp
://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/example/beetle2.jpg
No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found
some info here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchaferinfo and it
is indeed a May Bug.

Thanks very much, I can now tell them as work what it is called.

Stephen.

Ah I was going toi say 'cockchafer' but then everybody started saying
May Bug.

We used to call em JUNE bugs..

Hmm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 June, 21:34, The Natural Philosopher
* * * * * Lino expert wrote:

On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...eetle1.jpghttp

://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/example/beetle2.jpg
No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.
Looks like a May bug.

I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found
some info here;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchaferinfoand it
is indeed a May Bug.

Thanks very much, I can now tell them as work what it is called.

Stephen.

Ah I was going toi say 'cockchafer' but then everybody started saying
May Bug.

Same thing...a rose by any other name...

We used to call em JUNE bugs..

Hmm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle1.jpg
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg

No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Lesser spotted pencil humper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

I found eveything on your website. Your security sucks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kaptain Kremin" wrote in message
sdhull wrote in message ...
In message

On 10 June, 18:35, wrote:
I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg
No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

Looks like a May bug.

That'll explain why it's dead then :-)

There is also a june bug ;-)

Hmm, last dune bug I saw was based on a VW :-/

This one looks like it's been prept for a re-spray !!

Wavey Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DAVE wrote in message news
Kaptain Kremin wrote in message

Snipperty snip
There is also a june bug ;-)

Hmm, last dune bug I saw was based on a VW :-/

This one looks like it's been prept for a re-spray !!

and we'll never see the finished job now he's been murdered by
the OP :-(

KK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
wrote:

Thus spake
) unto the
assembled multitudes:
I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found
some info here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchaferinfo and it
is indeed a May Bug.

I think that URL should be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer

The Wiki says that it doesn't tolerate pollution very well, so
this dead one might be a useful indicator of your local air
quality ;-)

Indeed, although it was found in the generator room, noisy yet
airy, probably the fumes from the generators that seen it off.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
(Steve Firth) wrote:

wrote:

I found this (dead) beetle the other day at work,

I found eveything on your website. Your security sucks.

I don't really need security in that area, its where I store stuff
for public viewing.

But thanks anyway

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk"

I've just read that its a delicacy in France, yuk!

Stephen.

One very drunken night about.... 25 years ago... outside a pub in May
one of these beasts was bashing about the outdoor lamp.
One drunken friend dared me £5 to eat it.... so I did. Alive... Thought
it best to crunch is bifore it bit me. The taste was remarkably nutty.

I was violenetly ill much later that night, but I thing that was more
down to an excessive and unhealthy amount of alcohol consumed more than
the May Bug.

8¬()

You'd have to pay me more than £5 quid, don't think I could
even be tempted to eat one for £500, drunk or sober.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle1.jpg
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.c...le/beetle2.jpg

No one at work can identify it as yet, can anyone here perhaps
help with identification? just for curiosity really.

It is a cockchafer. If you look at the feathery bits you can determine the
gender. males have seven sections.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lino expert wrote:
Stephen.

Ah I was going toi say 'cockchafer' but then everybody started saying
May Bug.

Same thing...a rose by any other name...

So it wasn't a rosechafer?

(actually they're green. And _I_ call the other beasty a cockchafer)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news ....
I had a rather tasty dish at a wedding reception the other year in
France, all nine courses, and was offered some more of the same which
was duly accepted..

Wondering what this was just looked at the menu..

Trust you all know what Escargots are;!....

I have one of the special cooking dishes for them as part of my kitchen
equipment. Unfortunately, in some restaurants, they just taste like bits of
rubber in garlic butter.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , nightjar
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news ...
I had a rather tasty dish at a wedding reception the other year in
France, all nine courses, and was offered some more of the same which
was duly accepted..

Wondering what this was just looked at the menu..

Trust you all know what Escargots are;!....

I have one of the special cooking dishes for them as part of my kitchen
equipment. Unfortunately, in some restaurants, they just taste like bits of
rubber in garlic butter.

These didn't .. they were superb)

Colin Bignell

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Trust you all know what Escargots are;!....

Nowadays usually bits of sheep lung in a garlic butter sauce.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
wrote:

Thus spake
) unto the
assembled multitudes:
I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found
some info here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchaferinfo and it
is indeed a May Bug.

I think that URL should be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer

The Wiki says that it doesn't tolerate pollution very well, so
this dead one might be a useful indicator of your local air
quality ;-)

Opps yes, dont know what happend to the URL I posted.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found
some info here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchaferinfo and it
is indeed a May Bug.

Thanks very much, I can now tell them as work what it is called.

Stephen.

The last time I saw the term used was something like twenty years ago
when reading Denis Winter's book 'Haig's Command', where he mentions
the French General Castelnau describing Allied efforts to attack the
Germans as "We are like a cockchafer in a glass cage, sticking our
head out right and left haphazard". I always wondered what a
cockchafer was...no internet in those days!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Terry Fields wrote:

wrote:

I've googled for "May Bug" (now I know what to look for) and found
some info here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchaferinfo and it
is indeed a May Bug.

Thanks very much, I can now tell them as work what it is called.

Stephen.

The last time I saw the term used was something like twenty years ago
when reading Denis Winter's book 'Haig's Command', where he mentions
the French General Castelnau describing Allied efforts to attack the
Germans as "We are like a cockchafer in a glass cage, sticking our
head out right and left haphazard". I always wondered what a
cockchafer was...no internet in those days!

I tried a search on the internet initially but couldn't find
anything, hence me asking here ;-)

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Using a British RISC Operating System 100% immune to any Windows virus
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Cucumber beetle invasion Eigenvector Home Repair 1 September 25th 06 12:29 AM
Powder post beetle treatment? Dan Bollinger Woodturning 5 May 22nd 06 06:04 AM
Woodworm / furniture beetle infestation - what to do? Z UK diy 22 March 8th 04 10:39 PM
Beetle neighbour ghost? Alan UK diy 11 February 24th 04 08:23 PM
Tapping noise maybe solved - was 'Beetle neighbour ghost' Parish UK diy 1 February 23rd 04 12:10 PM