Parish

Default Tapping noise maybe solved - was 'Beetle neighbour ghost'

Dave wrote:

The tapping noise persists (see "Beetle neighbour ghost" thread). However this
morning I saw a couple of starlings (I think they were starling) disappear down
our chimney pot!
Assuming that these are the source of the tapping noise I could easily fix it IF
only I could get to the chimney stack. I have an extension ladder to get to the
eaves - I guess I need a roofing ladder to get up the roof itself. A few
questions then please:-

You agree it seems the birds are trying to nest in the chimney stack and this is
the source of the noise (it only ever happens very early morning)?

Yes. Doh! that happened to us last year - didn't occur to me when I read
your original post.

Should I have the chimney swept to remove possible debris from these birds? The
is a gas fire in each of the two ground floor rooms (3 bed semi).

Yes, most definitely, especially with gas fires. Our sweep filled two
black bin bags with the debris! I was suprised by the amount and he
explained that birds won't go more than a foot or so down the chimney so
they just keep dropping twigs etc. down (which lodge on the bends in the
flue) until the pile reaches high enough, then build the nest on top of
that (he also said that old nests are rock hard so it's like "trying to
smash through a concrete block"). So you'd have problems removing all
the debris from the top of the chimney.

BTW, he charged us £35.

Where can I get a roof ladder from? Can I hire one? Any reccommendations/advice
very much appreciated. I don't mind heights but I'd like to know how to use one
of these ladders properly (tie what to what etc)

Many tia.

Parish

Dave wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:56:31 +0000, Parish wrote:

Dave wrote:

The tapping noise persists (see "Beetle neighbour ghost" thread). However this

that (he also said that old nests are rock hard so it's like "trying to
smash through a concrete block"). So you'd have problems removing all
the debris from the top of the chimney.

BTW, he charged us £35.

Yes I just had a quote for sweeping $30 per flu - *but* he wanted £55 per
chimney pot to fit birdproof covers. That's what I wanted the roofing ladder for
really - to fit some homebrew (chicken!) wire guards over the chimneypots.

For some reason, the sweep we got didn't fit them, but he recommended
someone - £80 - fortunately, we only have one pot. Guess we could have
got one cheaper, but we needed it quickly.

Regards,

Parish