Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stopping Powder Post Beetles

I bought an antique horse drawn wagon at an auction. For it's age,
it's in good condition. However, the wood is infested with powder
post beetles and I can see fresh dust by some of the holes.

I am looking for a method to kill all live beetles inside the wood.

What can I use?

Someone recommended using an insecticide sprayer and soaking the wood
with straight bleach. Will this work? I prefer using something which
is not poisonous or harmful to the environment. Bleach would fit this
need. It is a poison, but will not leave harmful residue and aside
from making the wood lighter, it should not cause any damage, and is
also cheap to buy.

Will bleach work? What else can I use? What if I sprayed with
kerosene or another oil?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

This may sound insane, but carbon monoxide works on bugs, so start up a
car in a sealed garage with the stuff and get out and close the door
behind you. Don't go back in for a while, and open the big door and let
in vent for a few minutes before you go in.

Don't know about your bugs, but it worked on the wasps in my garage.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

I bought an antique horse drawn wagon at an auction. For it's age,
it's in good condition. However, the wood is infested with powder
post beetles and I can see fresh dust by some of the holes.

I am looking for a method to kill all live beetles inside the wood.

What can I use?

Someone recommended using an insecticide sprayer and soaking the wood
with straight bleach. Will this work? I prefer using something which
is not poisonous or harmful to the environment. Bleach would fit this
need. It is a poison, but will not leave harmful residue and aside
from making the wood lighter, it should not cause any damage, and is
also cheap to buy.

Will bleach work? What else can I use? What if I sprayed with
kerosene or another oil?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

You should use timbor or boracare.

Not at the prices I am seeing for that stuff. But I can see it's just
a borax product. Why not just use boric acid?

Well, boric acid will work, mostly, but "just a borax product"
is kind of like calling mortar "just a calcium product".

Aside from being a different chemical, boracare has some
sort of penetrant (ethelyne glycol?) to get it deeper into
the wood.

If you're buying antique carriages at auction, doesn't it
seem strange to be quibbling about $40 for preservatives?