Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Stopping Powder Post Beetles

I bought an antique horse drawn wagon at an auction. For it's age,
it's in good condition. However, the wood is infested with powder
post beetles and I can see fresh dust by some of the holes.

I am looking for a method to kill all live beetles inside the wood.

What can I use?

Someone recommended using an insecticide sprayer and soaking the wood
with straight bleach. Will this work? I prefer using something which
is not poisonous or harmful to the environment. Bleach would fit this
need. It is a poison, but will not leave harmful residue and aside
from making the wood lighter, it should not cause any damage, and is
also cheap to buy.

Will bleach work? What else can I use? What if I sprayed with
kerosene or another oil?

Mark