DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stopping Powder Post Beetles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/175626-stopping-powder-post-beetles.html)

[email protected] September 11th 06 08:32 PM

Stopping Powder Post Beetles

I bought an antique horse drawn wagon at an auction. For it's age,
it's in good condition. However, the wood is infested with powder
post beetles and I can see fresh dust by some of the holes.

I am looking for a method to kill all live beetles inside the wood.

What can I use?

Someone recommended using an insecticide sprayer and soaking the wood
with straight bleach. Will this work? I prefer using something which
is not poisonous or harmful to the environment. Bleach would fit this
need. It is a poison, but will not leave harmful residue and aside
from making the wood lighter, it should not cause any damage, and is
also cheap to buy.

Will bleach work? What else can I use? What if I sprayed with
kerosene or another oil?

Mark

Lar September 11th 06 08:57 PM

Stopping Powder Post Beetles

In article ,
says...
:) I bought an antique horse drawn wagon at an auction. For it's age,
:) it's in good condition. However, the wood is infested with powder
:) post beetles and I can see fresh dust by some of the holes.
:)
:) I am looking for a method to kill all live beetles inside the wood.
:)
:) What can I use?
:)
:) Someone recommended using an insecticide sprayer and soaking the wood
:) with straight bleach. Will this work? I prefer using something which
:) is not poisonous or harmful to the environment. Bleach would fit this
:) need. It is a poison, but will not leave harmful residue and aside
:) from making the wood lighter, it should not cause any damage, and is
:) also cheap to buy.
:)
:) Will bleach work? What else can I use? What if I sprayed with
:) kerosene or another oil?
:)
:) Mark
:)
:)
If the day time temperature is over 88 degrees, cover the wagon in black
plastic and leave in the sunshine for a couple of hours.
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

[email protected] September 11th 06 09:29 PM

Stopping Powder Post Beetles

This may sound insane, but carbon monoxide works on bugs, so start up a
car in a sealed garage with the stuff and get out and close the door
behind you. Don't go back in for a while, and open the big door and let
in vent for a few minutes before you go in.

Don't know about your bugs, but it worked on the wasps in my garage.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Goedjn September 11th 06 10:24 PM

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:32:39 -0500, wrote:

I bought an antique horse drawn wagon at an auction. For it's age,
it's in good condition. However, the wood is infested with powder
post beetles and I can see fresh dust by some of the holes.

I am looking for a method to kill all live beetles inside the wood.

What can I use?

Someone recommended using an insecticide sprayer and soaking the wood
with straight bleach. Will this work? I prefer using something which
is not poisonous or harmful to the environment. Bleach would fit this
need. It is a poison, but will not leave harmful residue and aside
from making the wood lighter, it should not cause any damage, and is
also cheap to buy.

Will bleach work? What else can I use? What if I sprayed with
kerosene or another oil?

Bribe somebody at a nearby shipyard to hoist the thing
up in front of a radar array, and microwave the sucker.

Barring that,

You should use timbor or boracare.

[email protected] September 12th 06 02:18 AM

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:24:36 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

[...]

Not at the prices I am seeing for that stuff. But I can see it's just
a borax product. Why not just use boric acid?

Mark

HeyBub September 12th 06 03:35 AM

wrote:
I bought an antique horse drawn wagon at an auction. For it's age,
it's in good condition. However, the wood is infested with powder
post beetles and I can see fresh dust by some of the holes.

I am looking for a method to kill all live beetles inside the wood.

Call a termite company. If they can tent and fumigate an entire house, they
ought to be able to handle a wagon.

Goedjn September 12th 06 04:17 PM

Stopping Powder Post Beetles

You should use timbor or boracare.

Not at the prices I am seeing for that stuff. But I can see it's just
a borax product. Why not just use boric acid?

Well, boric acid will work, mostly, but "just a borax product"
is kind of like calling mortar "just a calcium product".

Aside from being a different chemical, boracare has some
sort of penetrant (ethelyne glycol?) to get it deeper into
the wood.

If you're buying antique carriages at auction, doesn't it
seem strange to be quibbling about $40 for preservatives?

Tom The Great September 14th 06 04:03 PM

On 11 Sep 2006 13:29:05 -0700, wrote:

This may sound insane, but carbon monoxide works on bugs, so start up a
car in a sealed garage with the stuff and get out and close the door
behind you. Don't go back in for a while, and open the big door and let
in vent for a few minutes before you go in.

For some reason, this sounds dangerious. I wonder why? :p

later,

tom @
www.BlankHelp.com

Don't know about your bugs, but it worked on the wasps in my garage.

snip

Tom The Great September 14th 06 04:08 PM

[...]

imho:

I will suggest one thing, then you can discount any of my further
advice. Get incontact with an antique furnature restorer. Maybe
someone knows one, and you can get some free advice since you might
later want to get the wagon restored by them.

Now my advice, not a furnature restorer, don't apply anything to the
item, you don't know what it will do to the wagon. Wood might
discolor, and fasteners might fail.

Good luck, and please post a follow up with your results,

tom @
www.FreelancingProjects.com