Posted to rec.woodworking
77clearly

Default Powder Post Beetles!!! Help!

Hi all. I'm somewhat new to woodworking, but dove in and am trying to swim.
However, I think I got duped. I bought a pretty large supply of black
walnut. I've noticed sawdust piles among the wood, which I am aware is the
tell-tale sign of beetles (is it wood post or powder post beetle? no
matter). There are the small holes in the wood to confirm my fears.
The seller is long gone. How do I get rid of these things?? They may have
actually come from some old shelving I tore down to put up my wood rack, so
I may not be the seller's fault. I can't trash all of this wood, it's
something like 500 bf, and is in good shape for the most part (at least
what's visible).
Does anyone know of any pesticides I can use? Where to get them? Who to
call?
HELP!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"77clearly" wrote in message

Does anyone know of any pesticides I can use? Where to get them? Who to
call?
HELP!

Your local pest control company, for both certain identification and
treatment, if necessary (it could be an old infestation and the moisture
content low enough for them to have moved on).

500bf of walnut should be worth spending a few buck on, but be prepared to
tent and fumigate a stack if the infestation is indeed current.

As far as the holes ... once the critters are gone, the holes add a certain
"cachet" to the wood, IMO.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:00:26 GMT, "77clearly"
wrote:

Hi all. I'm somewhat new to woodworking, but dove in and am trying to swim.
However, I think I got duped. I bought a pretty large supply of black
walnut. I've noticed sawdust piles among the wood, which I am aware is the
tell-tale sign of beetles (is it wood post or powder post beetle? no
matter). There are the small holes in the wood to confirm my fears.
The seller is long gone. How do I get rid of these things?? They may have
actually come from some old shelving I tore down to put up my wood rack, so
I may not be the seller's fault. I can't trash all of this wood, it's
something like 500 bf, and is in good shape for the most part (at least
what's visible).
Does anyone know of any pesticides I can use? Where to get them? Who to
call?
HELP!

Courtesy JOAT, not too long ago:

POWDERPOST BEETLES (VA)
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/en.../powderpo.html

POWDERPOST BEETLES (KY)
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef616.htm

POWDERPOST BEETLES http://www.bcpestmgnt.com/beetles.htm

POWDERPOST BEETLES (OH)
http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~ohioli...2000/2090.html

POWDERPOST BEETLES (IA)
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/bpowderpo.html

POWDERPOST BEETLES (WV)
http://www.citynet.net/personal/hotsite/beetles.html

POWDERPOST BEETLES AND OLDHOUSE BORERS
http://hammock.ifas.ufl.edu/txt/fairs/25140

AND OTHER PESTS
http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/other.htm

INSECTS AFFECTING WOODEN STRUCTURES (KY)
http://www.forestry.ubc.ca/fetch21/w.../woodenst.html

POWDERPOST BEETLE POSTCARD
http://www.surf-ici.com/insectslimit...powdercard.htm

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave W

The usual treatment for PPB is killer chemicals. You, fortunately can take
the wood to a drying kiln and have the wood dried. That will kill the
critters in all stages of their nasty lives and you will have a wonderful
pile of dry lumber. Here in Maine it is not difficult to find a kiln that
will do things like this......in the big city it may be different.
Dave