Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default powder post beetle

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 5:37:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi all ;

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience or expertise -
- with eradicating / limiting the effect of powder post beetles -
- in the home ? I'm in southern Ontario.

I'm quite sure that I have the same problem as this couple -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...irms-1.2897847

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

My flooring company says that the lumber for my flooring
came from Ohio - not their normal source - it's hickory -
2 1/4 wide 3/4 thick pre finished.
So far - in my 4 - 5 year old floor - I seem to have 4 or 5
affected boards .. I hope to address the removal / replacement
of these in a subsequent posting ..
John T.

I'm in a rush at the moment. Will comment further, later.

Timbor is used to treat powder post beetle (woodworm in England). You mix Timbor with water and spray.... somewhat soak the wood for best results. Timbor comes in about a 1 lb package.... costs $11 US down here - Louisiana. One package will treat about 2-3K square feet of house/shop. I use it yearly, to treat my shop and lumber caches, for prevention. I spray walls, ceilings, everything/anything exposed.

Sonny