Posted to rec.woodworking
hubops hubops is offline

Default powder post beetle in hardwood floor - follow-up post

Hi All ;

Thanks again to those who replied previously.
This is just a follow-up f y i ..

The flooring company sent their guy to remove & replace
the 4 infested boards. There was no apparent spreading of the
critters to neighbouring wood - thankfully.

I believe that the pesticide mentioned in previous posts
Timbor is not available in Ontario / Canada
except perhaps for licensed exterminators ?

The process he used for removing the boards was fairly
crude but simple & effective :
: drill a series of holes about 3-4 " apart down through the
flooring, along each edge but in ~ 1/4 " from the edge
: use oscillating saw to join the dots along the edge and across
the center every ~ 4 inches
: chisel out the center chunks
: chisel out the edges ; looking for the nails to cut & pull

Now to cross my fingers & toes and keep watch for any further
signs of them ..
John T.

Hi all ;
Does anyone here have any first-hand experience or expertise -
- with eradicating / limiting the effect of powder post beetles -
- in the home ? I'm in southern Ontario.
I'm quite sure that I have the same problem as this couple -
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...irms-1.2897847
Any helpful advice is appreciated.
My flooring company says that the lumber for my flooring
came from Ohio - not their normal source - it's hickory -
2 1/4 wide 3/4 thick pre finished.
So far - in my 4 - 5 year old floor - I seem to have 4 or 5
affected boards .. I hope to address the removal / replacement
of these in a subsequent posting ..
John T.