Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Leon: Sewing Desk painting

While admiring your most recent project I had another look at the the
sewing desk.

A friend of mine, who has evidently overestimated my abilities, asked me
for advice about building some white built-in cabinets. The sewing desk,
at least in the pictures, looks like the kind of finish I think he
wants, but I have no idea how to achieve it.

He'll probably want to make his cabinets out of plywood, as he'll have
shelves with wide spans and heavy stuff on them. I should add that he
has pretty good woodworking skills, but does not have a shop to work in
now. He may be able to borrow a space for a while.

On that point I suggested having a shop at least cut the pieces for him.
I even did some quick checking to see if plywood was sold pre-"finished"
with some sort of white coating or laminate. That does seem to exist, in
Europe, but I'm not sure about on our side of the pond.

Any thoughts?

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:45:24 AM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
I even did some quick checking to see if plywood was sold pre-"finished" with some sort of white coating or laminate. That does seem to exist, in Europe, but I'm not sure about on our side of the pond. Any thoughts?

I don't know if it has a specific name, but I purchased primed 1/2" ply at Lowes, for upholstered room divider panels. I didn't look for 3/4", since I only wanted 1/2", but I would suppose it's available in 3/4".

It looks more white-washed, rather than primed with a normally thick coat of primer, as if I would prime it myself.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2014 10:45 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
While admiring your most recent project I had another look at the the
sewing desk.

Thank you Greg

A friend of mine, who has evidently overestimated my abilities, asked me
for advice about building some white built-in cabinets. The sewing desk,
at least in the pictures, looks like the kind of finish I think he
wants, but I have no idea how to achieve it.

He'll probably want to make his cabinets out of plywood, as he'll have
shelves with wide spans and heavy stuff on them. I should add that he
has pretty good woodworking skills, but does not have a shop to work in
now. He may be able to borrow a space for a while.

On that point I suggested having a shop at least cut the pieces for him.
I even did some quick checking to see if plywood was sold pre-"finished"
with some sort of white coating or laminate. That does seem to exist, in
Europe, but I'm not sure about on our side of the pond.

Any thoughts?

There is Melamine.....but if you don't know what you are doing you are
going to damage it before it is built.

Sooo what I did was use a paint grade plywood. Typically a closed grain
veneer, like maple or birch, for the wide panels. The solid wood, use
the same type closed grain wood, I used poplar.

I used a water based primer and rolled it on for the wide areas using a
4" small diameter foam roller. I cut in with a 4" Wooster synthetic
brush. When dry I hit all surfaces with a Scotch Brite pad to knock
down any bumps.

I used the same type roller and brush to apply the color coat. I used
Sherwin Williams for both the primer and the color coat. The specific
paint I used for the color coat was Oil Based Pro Classic enamel.
A single coat of each was all I needed. If you can't get oil based buy
the best Acrylic Latex. I can't stress enough buying the best you can
get. Especially for storage you want a surface that will dry hard, oil
based will typically be my first choice but a TOP QUALITY Acrylic
enamel, these days, will yield good surface in relative short time.

Top quality oil based paints are normally ready to go with out any
thinning necessary. If you put a few drops of mineral spirits on the
clean brush bristles the brush will work better and be easier to clean.
Be careful to not get too much mineral spirits on the brush as it will
thin the paint too much, in the brush, and you you will have paint
running down your hand if painting with the handle pointed down.
Knowing how much to use is an experience thing which I still have not
mastered.

---
protection is active.

Sewing Desk Progress Leon[_7_] Woodworking 17 April 5th 14 01:50 PM
Ping Leon Sonny Woodworking 6 August 24th 13 09:42 AM
sewing desk C & S Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 September 20th 08 10:11 PM
Leon's Desk... (ping Leon) Morris Dovey Woodworking 8 July 29th 08 01:49 PM
sewing desk plans speedbuggy Woodworking 8 October 17th 06 01:44 AM