Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sewing Desk Progress

The side cabinets with drawers are built. they need a touch of sanding
and mint green paint.

The bottom supports that, will support the 8' long sewing table top, are
done and need to be attached, with bolts and inserts, to the drawer units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542133823/

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

I would replace this drill kit in a heart beat should it ever need to be
replaced. Expensive but strong enough to keep my impact driver on the
shelf for the past 2 years and extremely versatile.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do
you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

Where on the cabinets is the picture driving the screws? You know, what
part? It isn't apparent to me.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 1:43 PM, Leon wrote:
The side cabinets with drawers are built. they need a touch of sanding
and mint green paint.

The bottom supports that, will support the 8' long sewing table top, are
done and need to be attached, with bolts and inserts, to the drawer units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542133823/

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

I would replace this drill kit in a heart beat should it ever need to be
replaced. Expensive but strong enough to keep my impact driver on the
shelf for the past 2 years and extremely versatile.

If I cut your skull open, will it say Festool under the top?
Or made in Germany?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 2:17 PM, Morgans wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How
do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

Where on the cabinets is the picture driving the screws? You know, what
part? It isn't apparent to me.

Does this help? It is the bridge between the cabinets. The screws were
driven to attach the 4 inner short supports.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 3:04 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/31/2014 1:43 PM, Leon wrote:
The side cabinets with drawers are built. they need a touch of sanding
and mint green paint.

The bottom supports that, will support the 8' long sewing table top, are
done and need to be attached, with bolts and inserts, to the drawer
units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542133823/

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

I would replace this drill kit in a heart beat should it ever need to be
replaced. Expensive but strong enough to keep my impact driver on the
shelf for the past 2 years and extremely versatile.

If I cut your skull open, will it say Festool under the top?
Or made in Germany?

I haven't looked in there lately. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 1:43 PM, Leon wrote:

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

For those of us who are Fes-poor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57628183501013

For your application I'd have needed a new square drive bit of the right
length. And my way is a two-hand operation. But the price is a better
fit for my frequency of use.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FZRr7Aod9GIANA

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 4:11 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/31/2014 1:43 PM, Leon wrote:

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

For those of us who are Fes-poor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57628183501013

For your application I'd have needed a new square drive bit of the right
length. And my way is a two-hand operation. But the price is a better
fit for my frequency of use.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FZRr7Aod9GIANA

There is a line when too short, is too short. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 4:51 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/31/2014 2:17 PM, Morgans wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How
do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

Where on the cabinets is the picture driving the screws? You know, what
part? It isn't apparent to me.

Does this help? It is the bridge between the cabinets. The screws were
driven to attach the 4 inner short supports.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

much better understanding now..
looking good.

mdf under the bridge?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 5:11 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/31/2014 1:43 PM, Leon wrote:

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

For those of us who are Fes-poor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...57628183501013

For your application I'd have needed a new square drive bit of the right
length. And my way is a two-hand operation. But the price is a better
fit for my frequency of use.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FZRr7Aod9GIANA

---
protection is active.

Yepppppp. That's how I do it.. But I'm waiting to win the Festool
Lottery.. :-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/2014 5:44 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/31/2014 4:51 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/31/2014 2:17 PM, Morgans wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How
do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

Where on the cabinets is the picture driving the screws? You know, what
part? It isn't apparent to me.

Does this help? It is the bridge between the cabinets. The screws were
driven to attach the 4 inner short supports.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

much better understanding now..
looking good.

mdf under the bridge?

No MDF. All poplar and paint grade maple plywood. Ah, the walnut cross
braces. Those came out of a warped scrap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Does this help? It is the bridge between the cabinets. The screws were
driven to attach the 4 inner short supports.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Thanks. Yep, that makes it clear.!
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542133823/

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

And just barely, at that!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2014 7:13 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542133823/

This gap is 5-11/32" wide. How do you sink the 6 pocket hole screws?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542033805/

Like this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/13542036185/

And just barely, at that!

Exactly! I used a slightly shorter bit and it did not reach far enough
to bottom out the screws. This slightly longer bit insured me, with he
clutch engagement, that the screws were going in all the way however I
did have to start slowly and the with the engagement starting out at a
slight angle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2014 7:10 AM, Morgans wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Does this help? It is the bridge between the cabinets. The screws
were driven to attach the 4 inner short supports.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Thanks. Yep, that makes it clear.!

I think next time I will try to design in at least 6" of clearance. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 4/1/2014 7:10 AM, Morgans wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Does this help? It is the bridge between the cabinets. The screws
were driven to attach the 4 inner short supports.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Thanks. Yep, that makes it clear.!

I think next time I will try to design in at least 6" of clearance. ;~)

\
Either that, or put the screws in the edges of the board from the top and
the bottom. Two screws would be as strong as three because they are
toenails in opposition. As you did it, I would put the middle screw in the
other side to get the toenail effect, also. Not that it is probably
particularly needed for strength, though.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hey Leon!

Fighting more medical problems with Mom so I am getting here less, not more as we talked about at Christmas with Karl. But it is a real treat to see your new projects when I get here and have a chance to read/see them.

As always, great work. I know custom cabinet makers that don't turn out new projects with the frequency you do, and certainly their work (generally speaking) isn't as nice. One thing for sure, they don't turn out anything close to the variety of building styles and projects that you tackle.

Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 4/1/2014 7:10 AM, Morgans wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

Does this help? It is the bridge between the cabinets. The screws
were driven to attach the 4 inner short supports.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

Thanks. Yep, that makes it clear.!

I think next time I will try to design in at least 6" of clearance. ;~)

\
Either that, or put the screws in the edges of the board from the top and
the bottom. Two screws would be as strong as three because they are
toenails in opposition. As you did it, I would put the middle screw in
the other side to get the toenail effect, also. Not that it is probably
particularly needed for strength, though.

The sole purpose of those walnut pieces is to insure uniform width of the
rails, that they are attached to, and to prevent those rails from twisting.
So strength is not a big factor here. I did use two equal length temp.
Spacers on the back sides to dictate location, shown in the previous
pictures.