Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New office desk progress

Dominoed drawers.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/ph...11/8405629393/

Drawers in the desk side cabinets.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/

8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:48:59 -0600, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/
8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete

Can I assume that the drawers will come off before the varnish goes
on? Clear varnish?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/23/2013 5:01 AM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:48:59 -0600, wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/
8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete

Can I assume that the drawers will come off before the varnish goes
on? Clear varnish?

Sounds like a personal question.

--
G.W.Ross

Make it idiot proof and someone will
make a better idiot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:48:59 -0600, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/
8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete

Can I assume that the drawers will come off before the varnish goes
on? Clear varnish?

Yes the drawers are removable. The side panel, panels are cherry and
already have 4 coats of clear varnish. Only the oak needs to be varnished.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:48:59 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
Dominoed drawers.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/ph...11/8405629393/

Drawers in the desk side cabinets.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/

8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete

Leon ...

What material did you use for the drawer sides? (Still debating for my buffet project).

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:48:59 -0600, Leon wrote:

Dominoed drawers.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/ph...11/8405629393/

Drawers in the desk side cabinets.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/

8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete

Looks good, no file drawer in the desk, to you have a plan for files.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:48:59 -0600, Leon wrote:

Dominoed drawers.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/ph...11/8405629393/

Drawers in the desk side cabinets.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/

8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete

Looks good, no file drawer in the desk, to you have a plan for files.

Mike M

Thank you. Way ahead of you on files.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/ph...11/8380072459/

The tall cabinet on the right side will house an ugly legal sized five
drawer Steel Case file cabinet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:08:52 -0600, Leon wrote:

Mike M wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:48:59 -0600, Leon wrote:

Dominoed drawers.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/ph...11/8405629393/

Drawers in the desk side cabinets.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/ph...11/8406726368/

8 Drawer fronts and varnish and his phase will be complete

Looks good, no file drawer in the desk, to you have a plan for files.

Mike M

Thank you. Way ahead of you on files.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0097009/ph...11/8380072459/

The tall cabinet on the right side will house an ugly legal sized five
drawer Steel Case file cabinet.

I considered that as a possibility but with the door front I wan't
sure. It makes total sense though good idea.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 06:35:35 -0600, Leon wrote:
Can I assume that the drawers will come off before the varnish goes
on? Clear varnish?

Yes the drawers are removable. The side panel, panels are cherry and
already have 4 coats of clear varnish. Only the oak needs to be varnished.

Actually, when I asked the question, I was referring to the drawers
and the slides coming off before varnishing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 06:35:35 -0600, Leon wrote:
Can I assume that the drawers will come off before the varnish goes
on? Clear varnish?

Yes the drawers are removable. The side panel, panels are cherry and
already have 4 coats of clear varnish. Only the oak needs to be varnished.

Actually, when I asked the question, I was referring to the drawers
and the slides coming off before varnishing.

I purposely do not varnish the drawers..
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I purposely do not varnish the drawers..

Any particular reason?

Do you just prefer raw wood inside drawers?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

I purposely do not varnish the drawers..

Any particular reason?

Do you just prefer raw wood inside drawers?

Lew

Finishes tend to give off an odor when closed up. Many of my customers
place clothing in the drawers and I would not want the the odor to migrate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Finishes tend to give off an odor when closed up. Many of my
customers
place clothing in the drawers and I would not want the the odor to
migrate.

Dumb question.

Does the above also apply to shellac?

Reason I ask is that is exactly what I did with a chest I built for
clothing.

Granted my smeller isn't the best, but I can't smell any residue on
clothing stored in chest.

Of course I waited 90 days before I started using it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

Finishes tend to give off an odor when closed up. Many of my
customers
place clothing in the drawers and I would not want the the odor to
migrate.

Dumb question.

Does the above also apply to shellac?

Reason I ask is that is exactly what I did with a chest I built for
clothing.

Granted my smeller isn't the best, but I can't smell any residue on
clothing stored in chest.

Of course I waited 90 days before I started using it.

Lew

I generally deliver almost immediately upon completion. I can't really ask
the customer to not use the piece for 90 days. I don't think shellac has
that problem but I don't use shellac. Assuming that there might be alcohol
spilled on a shellac finish I don't take the risk. While shellac is easier
to repair I have not yet had to repair a finish done with varnish. That
said having built well in excess of 100 drawers for personal use in our
home I have never seen the need for a finish for the drawers be it for
kitchen or furniture. Now if I am doing a pretty drawer with nice
visible joints I will varnish the out side sides of the drawer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2013 4:57 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

Finishes tend to give off an odor when closed up. Many of my
customers
place clothing in the drawers and I would not want the the odor to
migrate.

Dumb question.

Does the above also apply to shellac?

Reason I ask is that is exactly what I did with a chest I built for
clothing.

Granted my smeller isn't the best, but I can't smell any residue on
clothing stored in chest.

Of course I waited 90 days before I started using it.

Not unusual, and almost traditional in some places, for many makers to
NOT finish drawer interiors, particularly those drawers which will be
holding linens and clothing.

I most always finish kitchen drawers, inside and out, with a clear coat,
the same as the final top coat on the cabinets.

For drawers that will specifically hold linens and clothing, like a
chest of drawers, and unless otherwise requested, I also use shellac as
a first choice.

I do this simply because I _do_ have an above average "smeller".

Anyone who has ever stored their clothes in an unfinished drawer from an
old chest of drawers that was not necessarily held to the highest
standards of hygiene during its years of use, will appreciate that doing
so can impart a nasty odor to _your_ clothes when stored therein.

Not only will shellac mitigate that happening in the first place, it can
often be successful in getting rid of that smell in old furniture.
AAMOF, I've shellacked many a chest of drawers, inside and out, for
folks who had that exact problem when buying an antique for use.

Different strokes ... YMMV

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:50:52 -0600, Leon wrote:
Finishes tend to give off an odor when closed up. Many of my customers
place clothing in the drawers and I would not want the the odor to migrate.

I guess that makes sense. Hell, unfinished cedar cabinets have been
used for eons for storing clothing, no reason why other types of wood
can't do the same thing.

Guess it also produces the product faster to the customer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:41:36 -0600, Swingman wrote:
I most always finish kitchen drawers, inside and out, with a clear coat,
the same as the final top coat on the cabinets.

Sure, that also makes sense. Dropping pieces of cutlery or other metal
objects in a drawer, the shellac would add a extra layer of
protection.

For drawers that will specifically hold linens and clothing, like a
chest of drawers, and unless otherwise requested, I also use shellac as
a first choice.

Different strokes...

I do this simply because I _do_ have an above average "smeller".

Wonder how with all the spicy Cajun food you eat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2013 7:45 AM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:50:52 -0600, Leon wrote:
Finishes tend to give off an odor when closed up. Many of my customers
place clothing in the drawers and I would not want the the odor to migrate.

I guess that makes sense. Hell, unfinished cedar cabinets have been
used for eons for storing clothing, no reason why other types of wood
can't do the same thing.

Guess it also produces the product faster to the customer.

Other than helping to prevent odors from being absorbed by the wood too,
as Swingman pointed out, I have not seen the need to apply a finish.
That said when using no mechanical metal slides I will apply a wax
coating to the outsides.

I do presand all interior sides and bottom prior to glue up and then
finish sand the exterior after glue up and Domino insertion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/2013 7:48 AM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:41:36 -0600, Swingman wrote:
I most always finish kitchen drawers, inside and out, with a clear coat,
the same as the final top coat on the cabinets.

Sure, that also makes sense. Dropping pieces of cutlery or other metal
objects in a drawer, the shellac would add a extra layer of
protection.

For drawers that will specifically hold linens and clothing, like a
chest of drawers, and unless otherwise requested, I also use shellac as
a first choice.

Different strokes...

I do this simply because I _do_ have an above average "smeller".

Wonder how with all the spicy Cajun food you eat.

Hell Swingman knows when my wife cooks, and we live 22 miles from each
other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 1/26/2013 7:48 AM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:41:36 -0600, Swingman wrote:
I most always finish kitchen drawers, inside and out, with a clear coat,
the same as the final top coat on the cabinets.

Sure, that also makes sense. Dropping pieces of cutlery or other metal
objects in a drawer, the shellac would add a extra layer of
protection.

For drawers that will specifically hold linens and clothing, like a
chest of drawers, and unless otherwise requested, I also use shellac as
a first choice.

Different strokes...

I do this simply because I _do_ have an above average "smeller".

Wonder how with all the spicy Cajun food you eat.

Hell Swingman knows when my wife cooks, and we live 22 miles from each other.

And I get there as quick as I can!

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Some more fun and progress Ignoramus28478 Metalworking 2 June 13th 10 03:19 AM
open office vs MS Office Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 0 June 3rd 09 08:11 PM
Work (Office) Desk table top opinion [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 14th 06 08:57 PM
Office Desk Michael Q Woodworking 7 July 29th 06 08:23 PM
How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] Woodturning 2 June 5th 05 07:03 AM