Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New office desk progress

I did not make the two week dead line. LOL

Here is where I am at, I started this portion of the desk on Monday 2
weeks ago.

The "bridge" between the drawer cabinets. I was able to sit on the
front section with out any thing making any noise. Each section has 2,
5/16" x 2" bolts threaded into inserts on the side of each drawer unit.
There are 7, plywood rails plus the front white oak rail to support
the desk top. The short pieces of wood are solid oak.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8428541012/

My laminate supplyer and the local Wilsonart warehouse only had one
sheet of the laminate that we wanted for the top so I had to choose
another color for the bottom of the desk top. The original that we
picked was a reddish stained concrete floor looking design. The
secondary piece I picked for the bottom of the top is a brown leather
looking design. Now we can't decide if we like the original or the
second better. It is looking like the more subdued leather look so for.

Yeah I know why not wood. My current desk top is wood and it is
difficult to clean.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

What the tennis court looks like in the garage. :~)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

And as a reminder, where I am going with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Are you looking at this nailshooter? LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2013 6:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Leather is what I thought it was until I read.
I like it.
That's one big honking desk...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 6:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Which top did you like? Yes it is big, 94" x 32"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2013 5:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Looking good ... wanna rent my elephant to test that span for sag?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I did not make the two week dead line. LOL

Here is where I am at, I started this portion of the desk on Monday 2
weeks ago.

The "bridge" between the drawer cabinets. I was able to sit on the
front section with out any thing making any noise. Each section has
2, 5/16" x 2" bolts threaded into inserts on the side of each drawer
unit. There are 7, plywood rails plus the front white oak rail to
support the desk top. The short pieces of wood are solid oak.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8428541012/

I never saw that coming Leon. I just didn't get that out of the Sketchup
drawing. Very nice!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2013 8:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/29/2013 5:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You have an elephant?? I have to dream up how to clamp two trim pieces
8' from each other. The trim around the perimeter is going to be
painstakingly slow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2013 9:00 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
I did not make the two week dead line. LOL

Here is where I am at, I started this portion of the desk on Monday 2
weeks ago.

The "bridge" between the drawer cabinets. I was able to sit on the
front section with out any thing making any noise. Each section has
2, 5/16" x 2" bolts threaded into inserts on the side of each drawer
unit. There are 7, plywood rails plus the front white oak rail to
support the desk top. The short pieces of wood are solid oak.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8428541012/

I never saw that coming Leon. I just didn't get that out of the Sketchup
drawing. Very nice!

Thank you. Unless you have the drawing file you don't see the innerd's
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2013 9:21 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 6:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I liked http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/
from the photo it looked more like leather.
The other more like mdf or hardboard.

But that may have been the photo.

Again that's a big honking desk... 94"""""""""""""""""
big inches. What's the span between desks?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:30:12 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Looking at the photos I tend toward your original choice, but I don't
always trust what I see in photos. Glad to see the bolt together
don't think I would want to carry that in one piece.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2013 9:27 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 9:21 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 6:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Actually that was the original pick, not the leather one. :~) I am
going to flip a coin, I like them both.

But that may have been the photo.

Again that's a big honking desk... 94"""""""""""""""""
big inches. What's the span between desks?

60"

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

So you like the one that seems to have color variations? That is the
original pick and I am leaning back towards it. It is just that the
other one looked better after I unrolled it than the 1.5" x 2" sample.

Actually, my wife and I moved it and turned it 90 degrees so that we
could put the car in the garage. We stood in the middle, front and
back, and picked the unit up as a whole with out the top. Slowly we
picked it up, I was listening for something to pop. I would never to
this on a regular basis but we only moved it 8' and very gently.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, at least in the photos.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 5:30*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Are you looking at this nailshooter? *LOL

I am now! It looks like another piece of work I will have to hide
from Kathy. She is almost ready to have you and Karl come down and
get to work. She wants you to make her some new cabinets, and Karl to
make her a room full of furniture.

As for me, I will be making lunch...

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2013 9:21 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 6:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Ok, now that I saw your choices, do you have numbers for those.
I want to see them in person. I am making a desk, or was before I put it
on hold... I liked the colors (both).

And after reading how wood is a pain to clean, I might go with the
laminate for my keyboard area, and wood everywhere else.

If you know the #'s I would appreciate it. Thanks.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 9:21 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 6:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The one with color variations, the one I ultimately went with, is Flame
Soapstone 4484-38. The darker brown and more consistent in color is Western
Hills 4874-60. It is the one I thought looked like leather, pig skin on a
football.
Wilsonart
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2013 9:10 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 9:21 PM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2013 6:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Thanks much.

--
Jeff

New office desk progress Leon[_5_] Woodworking 20 January 26th 13 08:08 PM
open office vs MS Office Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 0 June 3rd 09 08:11 PM
Work (Office) Desk table top opinion [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 14th 06 08:57 PM
Office Desk Michael Q Woodworking 7 July 29th 06 08:23 PM
How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] Woodturning 2 June 5th 05 07:03 AM