Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Driving screws into MDF

I'm about to make a sliding fence for my router table (something to
attach a box joint spacer fence to). The base is going to be a chunk
of malamine MDF with a Kreg miter bar screwed to the bottom. [HD had
a pallet of 3/4" thick 11" x 2' melamine MDF shelf boards on special
for a $3 each, so I picked up a few.] On top of that goes one of
these:

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-3152.../dp/B00F3BFZAQ

In addition to the aluminum miter rail (which runs along the front
side of the table), there will be a hardwood "outrigger" rail that
rides along the back edge of the router table top -- similar to the
design in Bill Hylton's Ultimate Guide to the Router Table. If you've
never seen one, it's much like a table saw cross-cut sled. The side
of the miter slot closest to the bit is going to be the reference
edge, so I'd sort of like to try making the outrigger sort of
spring-loaded, but I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to do
that yet.

Anyhow, I've never worked much with MDF and was wondering what tricks
there are for screwing stuff to MDF shelf boards.

For example, when screwing things to balsa, it's common practice to
put a drop of cyanoacrylate into the pilot hole so that it wicks into
and hardens the walls of the hole. You let the CA cure completely
before driving the screw -- so you're not gluing the screw in, you're
just using the CA to reinforce the walls of the pilot hole.

Any recommended tricks like that for MDF?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! GOOD-NIGHT, everybody
at ... Now I have to go
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/26/2014 10:57 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
[...]

I've always found that Confirmat screws are, hands down, the best screws
for MDF or particle board. Unfortunetely, they don't come in very many
sizes and their shafts are quite thick so they might not work for attaching
standard hardware. Spax makes screws for MDF but I've never tried them;
their regular screws seem to do the job in other materials so their special
ones might be worth a try if you can obtain a few samples. If neither of
these work for you then some experimentation with regular screws and
various sizes of pilot holes might let you find a good compromise between
grip and distortion. Squirting some sort of thin non-water-based glue (to
avoid swelling of the fibers) into the pilot holes certainly shouldn't hurt
anything even if it doesn't actually help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-06-26, BenignBodger wrote:
On 6/26/2014 10:57 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

[...]

Anyhow, I've never worked much with MDF and was wondering what tricks
there are for screwing stuff to MDF shelf boards.

[...]

I've always found that Confirmat screws are, hands down, the best screws
for MDF or particle board. Unfortunetely, they don't come in very many
sizes and their shafts are quite thick so they might not work for attaching
standard hardware.

Based on experience assembling flat-pack stuff that comes with that
type of fastener, I agree those do work well in MDF (as well as
anything can in MDF).

But, as you say, it doesn't look like those are going to work for
things like a miter bar that comes with pre-dtrilled counter-sunk
holes intended for standard flat head screws.

Spax makes screws for MDF but I've never tried them;

It looks like they're only available in 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" lengths, so
they won't work for things like the miter rail either.

their regular screws seem to do the job in other materials so their
special ones might be worth a try if you can obtain a few samples. If
neither of these work for you then some experimentation with regular
screws and various sizes of pilot holes might let you find a good
compromise between grip and distortion.

Squirting some sort of thin non-water-based glue (to avoid swelling
of the fibers) into the pilot holes certainly shouldn't hurt anything
even if it doesn't actually help.

Yup. It looks like there isn't much option other than regular screws.
Since MDF is denser and less compressable than wood, I'll probably try
slightly larger than normal pilot holes and some CA or something. I
assume you want a hole in the Melamine surface that's large enough for
the screw without requiring distortion of the melamine layer.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ! Up ahead! It's a
at DONUT HUT!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/26/2014 9:57 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

Any recommended tricks like that for MDF?

All MDF is not created equal. That said, as long as you are screwing
into the face, and not an edge, a quality wood screw that is not over
tightened has always worked for me for most applications.

Do some tests on scrap and see if that works for your application.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any recommended tricks like that for MDF?

Well after years of loving MDF because it is so flat and easy to work with, I rarely now use it for any long-term fixture, at least sparingly so. It just doesn't hold up well.

I use 1/2 mdf for the base of small cross cut sleds but I consider those kind of disposable and rebuild new square ones quite often. MDF just doesn't hold up to wear and tear. Screws will always pucker the hole. It glues really well so maybe shallow dado's and pre drilled screws to help hold it while it dries. Maybe dado and glue in some wood strips where you needs screws to hold well, or even maybe screw in inserts with heavy threads into larger holes to accept machine screws.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/26/14, 9:57 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
[...]

Spax and a couple other companies make specialty screws for MDF and they
work great.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

Spax and a couple other companies make specialty screws for MDF and they
work great.

Agree on the specialty MDF screws. They are better.

That said, the best screw for MDF is no screw, so the less screw the better.
I use glue and pin nails for MDF usually, and sometimes use trim head
screws, where I need to have the fastener pull the jig together. Good ole
titebond II. If I take the time to build a jig, chances are I don't want it
to move about, and I will keep it and not tear it apart, go glue is good,
and a fastener holding it together while the glue is setting and setting up
things is what the doctor ordered.

If not that, a combination pilot countersink to drill for multipurpose
screws. The more coarse threads the better. Where a head sticking up does
not matter, Kreig screws work fantastic and hold well. You can usually get
them in course and fine thread versions, but not so often choose between
multipurpose threads.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Grant Edwards" wrote in message

For example, when screwing things to balsa, it's common practice to
put a drop of cyanoacrylate into the pilot hole so that it wicks into
and hardens the walls of the hole. You let the CA cure completely
before driving the screw -- so you're not gluing the screw in, you're
just using the CA to reinforce the walls of the pilot hole.

Any recommended tricks like that for MDF?

Use bolts (national coarse thread):

1. drill proper sized hole
2. tap the hole
3. add CA to tapped hole and let dry (until NO odor)
4. tap again

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-06-27, dadiOH wrote:
"Grant Edwards" wrote in message

For example, when screwing things to balsa, it's common practice to
put a drop of cyanoacrylate into the pilot hole so that it wicks into
and hardens the walls of the hole. You let the CA cure completely
before driving the screw -- so you're not gluing the screw in, you're
just using the CA to reinforce the walls of the pilot hole.

Any recommended tricks like that for MDF?

Use bolts (national coarse thread):

1. drill proper sized hole
2. tap the hole
3. add CA to tapped hole and let dry (until NO odor)
4. tap again

Thanks for the suggestion. It occurred to me that I ought to be
treating MDF more like plastic than like wood. I was thinking of doing
something similar: drill and tap a hole for a machine screw -- not so
much expecting the threads to hold, but more to get a hole with no
slop. Holding strength would be provided by putting either a
countersunk T-nut on the opposite side (or just a washer and lock-nut
if it doesn't interfear with anything).

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... the HIGHWAY is
at made out of LIME JELLO and