Posted to rec.woodworking
Grant Edwards Grant Edwards is offline

Default Driving screws into MDF

On 2014-06-27, dadiOH wrote:
"Grant Edwards" wrote in message

For example, when screwing things to balsa, it's common practice to
put a drop of cyanoacrylate into the pilot hole so that it wicks into
and hardens the walls of the hole. You let the CA cure completely
before driving the screw -- so you're not gluing the screw in, you're
just using the CA to reinforce the walls of the pilot hole.

Any recommended tricks like that for MDF?

Use bolts (national coarse thread):

1. drill proper sized hole
2. tap the hole
3. add CA to tapped hole and let dry (until NO odor)
4. tap again

Thanks for the suggestion. It occurred to me that I ought to be
treating MDF more like plastic than like wood. I was thinking of doing
something similar: drill and tap a hole for a machine screw -- not so
much expecting the threads to hold, but more to get a hole with no
slop. Holding strength would be provided by putting either a
countersunk T-nut on the opposite side (or just a washer and lock-nut
if it doesn't interfear with anything).

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... the HIGHWAY is
at made out of LIME JELLO and