Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Driving screws into MDF

Any recommended tricks like that for MDF?

Well after years of loving MDF because it is so flat and easy to work with, I rarely now use it for any long-term fixture, at least sparingly so. It just doesn't hold up well.

I use 1/2 mdf for the base of small cross cut sleds but I consider those kind of disposable and rebuild new square ones quite often. MDF just doesn't hold up to wear and tear. Screws will always pucker the hole. It glues really well so maybe shallow dado's and pre drilled screws to help hold it while it dries. Maybe dado and glue in some wood strips where you needs screws to hold well, or even maybe screw in inserts with heavy threads into larger holes to accept machine screws.