Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Driving screws into MDF

"-MIKE-" wrote

Spax and a couple other companies make specialty screws for MDF and they
work great.

Agree on the specialty MDF screws. They are better.

That said, the best screw for MDF is no screw, so the less screw the better.
I use glue and pin nails for MDF usually, and sometimes use trim head
screws, where I need to have the fastener pull the jig together. Good ole
titebond II. If I take the time to build a jig, chances are I don't want it
to move about, and I will keep it and not tear it apart, go glue is good,
and a fastener holding it together while the glue is setting and setting up
things is what the doctor ordered.

If not that, a combination pilot countersink to drill for multipurpose
screws. The more coarse threads the better. Where a head sticking up does
not matter, Kreig screws work fantastic and hold well. You can usually get
them in course and fine thread versions, but not so often choose between
multipurpose threads.
--
Jim in NC

---