Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can I bleach red oak so that it stains close to white oak?

On Friday, July 12, 2002 4:46:12 PM UTC-7, keith edward wrote:

I have some really nice white oak flooring that I picked up....
I can not seem to find white oak posts and rails that I can stain to
match the white oak floor.

So, thinking outside the box... instead of matching, maybe you should
accentuate the contrast? How about ebonizing the red oak?

Matching: hard. Contrast: easy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:56:34 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Friday, July 12, 2002 4:46:12 PM UTC-7, keith edward wrote:

I have some really nice white oak flooring that I picked up....
I can not seem to find white oak posts and rails that I can stain to
match the white oak floor.

So, thinking outside the box... instead of matching, maybe you should
accentuate the contrast? How about ebonizing the red oak?

Matching: hard. Contrast: easy.

How about trying ash? The grain matches oak fairly well and is closer
to white oak than red from what I remember. My floor and my kitchen
cabinets are both "grey ash". Floor was stained, cabinets not.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

news
wrote:

On Friday, July 12, 2002 4:46:12 PM UTC-7, keith edward wrote:

I have some really nice white oak flooring that I picked up....
I can not seem to find white oak posts and rails that I can stain to
match the white oak floor.

So, thinking outside the box... instead of matching, maybe you should
accentuate the contrast? How about ebonizing the red oak?

Matching: hard. Contrast: easy.

How about trying ash? The grain matches oak fairly well and is closer
to white oak than red from what I remember. My floor and my kitchen
cabinets are both "grey ash". Floor was stained, cabinets not.

Yeah, get all the ash that you can before it is all dead from the long horn
beetle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:48:41 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

news
wrote:

On Friday, July 12, 2002 4:46:12 PM UTC-7, keith edward wrote:

I have some really nice white oak flooring that I picked up....
I can not seem to find white oak posts and rails that I can stain to
match the white oak floor.

So, thinking outside the box... instead of matching, maybe you should
accentuate the contrast? How about ebonizing the red oak?

Matching: hard. Contrast: easy.

How about trying ash? The grain matches oak fairly well and is closer
to white oak than red from what I remember. My floor and my kitchen
cabinets are both "grey ash". Floor was stained, cabinets not.

Yeah, get all the ash that you can before it is all dead from the long horn
beetle.

There is a lot on the market right now because if you cut it before
it is dead the wood is still good, even if infected. Lots of places
are basically "clear cutting" ash ahead of the onslaught, trying to
stop the advance of the beatle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:24:37 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

There is a lot on the market right now because if you cut it before
it is dead the wood is still good, even if infected. Lots of places
are basically "clear cutting" ash ahead of the onslaught, trying to
stop the advance of the beatle.

I don't know how widespread this is, but I was talking to a logger recently
who told me the mills cannot receive ash from more than 50 miles away -
owing to the beetle. It's getting harder for loggers to sell off ash for
more than just firewood.

Here they just ship it south, where the beatle has already hit. Can't
even ship firewood north from here, but south is no problem because
basically all the ash south of here is already dead or infected.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:24:37 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

There is a lot on the market right now because if you cut it before
it is dead the wood is still good, even if infected. Lots of places
are basically "clear cutting" ash ahead of the onslaught, trying to
stop the advance of the beatle.

I don't know how widespread this is, but I was talking to a logger
recently
who told me the mills cannot receive ash from more than 50 miles away -
owing to the beetle. It's getting harder for loggers to sell off ash for
more than just firewood.

Here they just ship it south, where the beatle has already hit. Can't
even ship firewood north from here, but south is no problem because
basically all the ash south of here is already dead or infected.

Around here in upstate NY the Emerald Ash Borer is the problem... NYC DEP is
going to take down 4,000 trees near one of their upstate reservoirs, about
half of them ash.

There are distance restrictions for trucking to mills. Firewood is
restricted also. Some of the firewood dealers are looking to put in kilns to
dry the wood and kill all the insects so that they can service a wider area.
NYS DEC Forest Rangers are doing "firewood stings" at campgrounds looking
for wood that is outside of the regulations.