Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can I bleach red oak so that it stains close to white oak?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:48:41 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:56:34 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Friday, July 12, 2002 4:46:12 PM UTC-7, keith edward wrote:

I have some really nice white oak flooring that I picked up....
I can not seem to find white oak posts and rails that I can stain to
match the white oak floor.

So, thinking outside the box... instead of matching, maybe you should
accentuate the contrast? How about ebonizing the red oak?

Matching: hard. Contrast: easy.

How about trying ash? The grain matches oak fairly well and is closer
to white oak than red from what I remember. My floor and my kitchen
cabinets are both "grey ash". Floor was stained, cabinets not.

Yeah, get all the ash that you can before it is all dead from the long horn
beetle.

There is a lot on the market right now because if you cut it before
it is dead the wood is still good, even if infected. Lots of places
are basically "clear cutting" ash ahead of the onslaught, trying to
stop the advance of the beatle.